Is this a resume blunder?

I applied to a few positions recently via my university's career services website. I just noticed that I missed a comma somewhere. I put: Proficient in Microsoft Word Excel, Powerpoint and Internet research (I accidentally left out the comma that should follow "Word").

Is this a big resume blunder? Big enough that the companies won't call you because of a missing comma? Apparently when the career services office revised my resume they failed to notice it themselves.

I know I can change it, etc but as far as those I applied for it's too late. The CS website doesn't let you resubmit a resume for the same position once you've done it once.

I would think that in areas like education (reading, writing, etc) this would be a blunder but not so much for areas like marketing, engineering, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it. This little mistake would not likely make an impact. People misplace commas all the time. I have seen high level people submit important documents with punctuation errors and even typos. I think people realize that sometimes things can be overlooked.

I am a person who would notice it and while I might not see it as a dealbreaker it would definitely put you lower on the list of applicants. sorry to be so harsh but that is how I judge typos on resumes and how many of my colleagues/coworkers do in mine and other fields (and yes my job involves attention to detail and correct spelling, grammar, etc)

My job also involves attention to detail, but I would never discount someone over a simple comma. That would be ridiculous and petty, especially if they have all the credentials for the job and you certainly wouldn't want to work for someone if they could discount you over a simple comma. You don't want to work for anyone who can be on your case for such petty matters.

In my job it's very important to proofread and very important that documents go out as near perfect as possible. On something as short as a resume I would expect it to be letter perfect and that includes commas unless it's one of those optional commas. Particularly these days with spell check and computers I don't see why there have to be mistakes on a resume -- when I did my resumes pre-computers I had to re-type dozens of times to correct errors like that.

I don't think it's unreasonable because I think typos on a resume could reflect general carelessness and lack of attention to detail. It would not be a dealbreaker but I would be concerned that other work the person did would have similar typos and that effect on quality would matter a lot in my field. If he handed me a revised resume that would mean something because that would show he cared to correct the resume. I know it sounds harsh and perhaps in your industry it doesn't matter as much. In mine, it does. It's all relative. I also understand that just because a resume is perfect it doesn't mean that the applicant prepared it himself, but it does mean he cared enough for it to be perfect.

Mistakes are a fact of life, we are all human. No matter how many times we proof read things, we can still overlook something. I am a very detail-oriented person and pick up typos that most people wouldn't notice. Despite my attention to detail, sometimes I will draft a document that does indeed have a typo. In fact, I created a website for our department in which I forgot to add the letter o to Pulmonology. Someone else pointed out the error to me and I fixed it. So, for several weeks, Pulmonology was spelled wrong until someone discovered the error. Does that make me a sloppy person who can't do the job properly...of course not. I think we all make mistakes and even those who pay attention to detail, I am sure make mistakes. That's life.

I completely agree and when I notice a mistake on a resume it is significant to me because it is a short document, it is a document that is meant to make a first impression, and thereforeeee a mistake on a resume is more significant to me than on many other documents. If the job requires attention to detail and that is the first document I see from the person, that may suggest to me that the person has some issues when it comes to attention to detail if he permitted a mistake to be made on a resume. If it were in a casual e-mail to me that would be different. It's not that hard to make a resume letter perfect especially if it is only one page. As I mentioned it likely would not be a dealbreaker but it would make me think twice.

Having said that I don't mean to suggest the OP lacks attention to detail I am just commenting on the impression - fair or unfair - that it gives. It's like on a first date if the person is an hour late without a legitimate excuse - as a first impression that is far more significant than if it happened 3 months down the road.

Archived