Job searching is tough...

Part-time job searching, that is. I graduate from my university and earn my Bachelors this December, so I'm currently looking for a good part-time job/internship. It's been a few days short of a month since I completed the 14-month internship I did with one of the biggest media/advertising agencies in the world. Long internship right? Indeed it was, and that's really why they told me it was over. They wanted to transition me over to full-time status but since I don't graduate until December (and have 2-3 semesters of classes left) it's not feasible at this point.

I wasn't able to accept any full-time offers for now. So since I had reached the limit for "part-time status" within the company the internship was over. I was a bit disappointed but happy in the sense that I was an intern there longer than any other intern in the history of the company.

So now reality rears its ugly head and I've been searching for 3+ weeks. I'm employing Careerbuilder, Monster, and my school's career services website (which of course is the best of the 3). Given my high academic credentials and the experience I picked up in the agency, it's been a bit of a disappointment that I still haven't found anything I want. I've applied to about 6 or 7 positions, and honestly, none of them have been positions I've REALLY wanted. Two or three have responded and have asked me to come in for an internview.

Either they pay much lower than my internship, the hours are too inflexible, or the drive is so long that it's not practical since I'll waste the small salary on gas. In addition, many of these jobs that I'm applying for aren't directly involved in what I want to do (marketing research), and I specified very clearly what I'm looking for on the resume objective which is a research-based job in marketing or advertising. The one I applied to which seemed the most interesting/relevant to my major was a job for "consumer interviewer" which sounded great but the pay was almost minimum wage. After making $15/hr in the internship I think this is just too much of a drastic drop.

Should I stop applying for jobs that aren't directly pertinent to my field of study (which might be the reason why those companies haven't responded to me) and wait for the ideal part-time position/internship even though it might take longer? I just apply to all of them so that I don't limit my options but ultimately I want experience in my field of study. It's just that one gets impatient after a while, even though it's only been less a month.

I think it's going to be much easier to find a full-time job once I graduate. I've found a bunch of great opportunities on all 3 websites and unfortunately can't take advantage of them yet (as well as the company I did the internship with which wants to get in contact once I graduate for full-time employment).

Any responses welcome especially from people in the same situation now or before.

Hey there,

I have earned my Master's in 2002. It took me a year and a half to find work. However, I did not have the credentials you have such as the internship and so forth but still...a year and a half!

I finally landed a job and worked there for 3 years. So, not only did I have the education, I had the experience. When I decided to move cross country, I had a very difficult time finding work.

The problem is...it is VERY competitive world out there. And searching for three weeks is really not that long, even though it seems so. And at times, folks do have to take a pay cut in order to start over again. My boyfriend ended up taking a 30K paycut from what he was making before he was laid off. He did not have a choice because he was out of work for 9 months. This was the only offer he was given. He has been working with computers for 17 years, tons and tons of experience but he had a VERY difficult time. In many cases, he was OVER-qualified and many employers were intimited by his knowledge and experinece.

My advice to you, DO NOT give up. Keep looking. Something will come your way. I know it can get daunting, frustrating and at times, it is very hard not to take it personal. Finding a job is a numbers game. I wish all the best in your job search. Hang in there.

*sigh*........great........I'm going to DeVry University for what is called "E.C.T." to obtain my Associates...and the way it sounds from you guys...I will have one heck of a hard time finding a job with just my associates!

Listen to Kellbell, you are in a competitive environment. You have to realize there are many others trying to get the same job you are.

If you stick to your guns, you will find a job. No matter the job you get, the key is to use the job you have to your advantage and improve from there. It's all about doing what is needed to get where you want to go in life.

I also just finished up my Bachelor's degree. My advice is to get out there... Applying online is great, but you will get alot more accomplished in person. It's all about selling yourself.

When I left school, I couldn't find anything. Finally, my father advised me to look for a company to work for, not a job at just some "company." Well, I started going to some of the more stand up companies in the area (who were not even hiring for my position) and advised them what I can do and what I'm looking for. I was offered a great job the 3rd day.

The receptionist took my resume and I spoke with the hiring director. I sold myself basically. I made him feel like, without me, they would never move ahead. And, here I am.

And to the person with the associate's degree... You have more than 40% of the US has with that Associate's degree. With my AS, I was making $17/hr + yearly bonuses ranging from 3500-6500.

Finding a job is easy as long as you stay focused, and realize that it may take you 1-2 months to do so. In the end, you will find one that meets your needs.

Don't give up I've done 10 months without work and recently two months without anything I was remotely interested nor paid well.

I posted all over Monsters, HotJobs, Careerbuilders and America's Job Bank. Try to get letters of recommendation which can really make you look good. I had two & I believe one of them really helped (from my old boss).

Archived