Newborn: Breastmilk Supply a Concern

Dilly

So my baby gained 14 ounces from date of discharge at 7 days (one week). I was engorged at one point and my breast were leaking at another during that time. But in the last couple of days, my breasts are soft and when the baby is sucking, she does not produce alot of audible gulps. Last night, she also had me up much of the night, passing gas, and when she "latched on," she used me more as a pacifier than anything. I am soooo concerned about my milk supply. After her morning feeding, she is calm, however. And while I have not counted her mustardy stool production, I plan to today. I see already she had produced one mustard-like stool (minus the seedy appearance).

I am thinking of buying a baby scale to assess her weight daily as my milk really does seem to have dropped off. Would pumping help bring it back up?

My baby is now 10 days old and this "issue" is about 24-36 hours old. I thought breastfeeding would be a breeze for me after such incredible early gains, but now I'm getting worried. I also have dropped 25 pounds and while that is wonderful, I wonder if something is going on hormonally to compete with my breastfeeding. Yesterday, I dropped two pounds, likely from the breast milk volume loss.

THANKS!!!

I had this problem too. Honestly, I didn't realize it, but my baby was taking in a lot more milk than I realized. However, there are things you can do to increase your milk production. Make sure your baby is latched on properly, and make sure you eat!! Especially foods high in protein.. And if you can, increase your nursing or pumping. Your body will respond; it has no choice. If you are still concerned after making adjustments, then talk to your doctor.

Keep in mind though, your body has the capacity to nurse twins, even triplets. Your body will only make as much milk as is being demanded of it.

Just to ease your mind, babies typically lose weight in the early days, but then gain it back.

I would talk to your doctor before pumping on top of nursing. Your body will make what she needs to eat, as long as you're taking care of yourself. Make sure you drink TONS of water (does it make you thirsty right when you start to nurse? It did to me and I thought that was weird...), eat well, and get as much sleep as you can. Your body will take care of itself.

Just think...if you start pumping on top of nursing, your body will make more milk than what your baby needs to eat. THEN you will deal with engorgement and possibly milk duct problems because you won't be able to have the baby empty them out since there's so much milk. Something to think about.

I would try massaging your breasts while she's nursing to increase stimulation. Let her nurse as much as she wants and as often as she wants. In the early days all they do is eat and sleep and poop and your body will get on her schedule and make what she needs. Unless she's screaming all the time (gas is pretty normal, her digestive tract is still brand new and it takes a little bit to get it used to the outside world), I would just try to relax.

I also know from my experience that if I'm stressed, my milk doesn't "come down." Just grab yourself a bottle of water, get comfy and nurse her as often and as long as she likes and just relax and enjoy the moment. Give your body and your baby some time to work out the kinks.

I would speak to your doctor, pharmacist or go to a clinic if you are concerned. They can help you decide what is the best course of action.

In my mind, she would let you know if she was not getting enough to eat Maybe your breasts are just adjusting?

I think it's quite possible that my breasts were just adjusting. They have become leaky and slightly engorged since the original post and I think it's all in response to her changing needs.

I had this problem too. Honestly, I didn't realize it, but my baby was taking in a lot more milk than I realized. However, there are things you can do to increase your milk production. Make sure your baby is latched on properly, and make sure you eat!! Especially foods high in protein.. And if you can, increase your nursing or pumping. Your body will respond; it has no choice. If you are still concerned after making adjustments, then talk to your doctor.

Keep in mind though, your body has the capacity to nurse twins, even triplets. Your body will only make as much milk as is being demanded of it.

Thank you, Kalika. I think this reassurance is helpful!!! My supply I've noticed is changing daily depending on the previous days needs.

YES!!! IT DOES MAKE ME THIRSTY TO NURSE (at least at the beginning). I can't count the number of times I've asked my boyfriend to bring me some water while I sit down with my boppy.

WOW, that's interesting!

THANKS FOR THE GOOD ADVICE ABOUT RELAXING!!! Probably the hardest thing to do when we take time off work because we think of all the stuff we need to get accomplished.

The more she eats the more milk your body makes. It's natural to be concerned. Use feeding times as "together" times and relax. Your body will always supply enough, it's all in the eating habits, the longer you nurse, the more milk next time. Make sure you start on the same side you left off of the previous time. I use to move a safety pin from my brastrap to remember.

By the way, beautiful baby...

Archived