changing majors?

I'm jumping in to this kinda late, but I figure I'll put in my two cents anyway. I don't think you'd be hurting yourself at all by changing majors. College is not only a place to earn an education. It's also a place to grow and to learn more about yourself. My husband started out as a Computer Science major. He spent a year fulfilling his math and science requirements and then took two semesters worth of CS classes and decided they weren't for him. Then, he took a semester worth of accounting classes - also not for him. Then, like you, he picked up a psychology book and found his passion. Switching majors meant he could've gotten away with taking easier math and science courses and it meant wasting all his CS and accounting courses, but it was absolutely worth it. Yeah, it's a pain. He has to pursue a PhD in order to make the salary I am making with my bachelor's degree, but money's not the point of an education. His education has enabled him to set goals and to have dreams. Graduate school is hard and stressful, but he loves every minute. The school owns his time, but because he spends that time learning about/doing what he loves, it's worth it to him. I envy that. I love my job, but that's all it is to me. It's a 9 - 5 job. For him, because he's pursuing his passion, it's a lifestyle. If you can find something you feel that strongly about, I say go for it. Yeah, maybe life would've been easier if you'd chosen psychology from the beginning, but who cares? Your biology classes won't go to waste, they may not directly benefit your career, but the time you spent in them have contributed to who you are right now.

My only recommendation is if you are planning to pursue a PhD, try to graduate with honors in your major. This will involve writing an undergraduate thesis, which apparently looks really good for psychology graduate programs. The better you make yourself seem during your undergraduate career, the better your chances at getting in to a good PhD program right away.

Hi,

I can't think of anything worse than completing your courses and finding out 3years down the track that there is no job for you.

This is precisely why it is important to (A) enjoy your college experience, but (B) have the emotional maturity and clarity of a big picture to get a well rounded experience. Go get drunk, laid, party, etc. if that's your thing, but also focus on your studies which are important for good grades and network with those above you - professors, counselors, recruiters, workforce, internships, etc. - your peers won't be interviewing you for a job after graduation. These older people give some great advice - they've been there, done that, and tell you what it's like. Also, take some courses which sound kind of interesting - by the end you'll know if you want to pursue that further, and I cannot stress enough how important internships are. School and work are not one in the same. You might like the academic and theoretical aspects of a subject, but the stuff you do on the job might be lightyears apart.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know personally that none of my academic qualifications mattered at all when I went job hunting. All they employers wanted to know was about work experience, work experience, work experience. They didn't care about the fact that I had an almost straight A average, that I had won awards for my high grades, that I had been at the top of the school again and again. They just didn't care.

Also, they didn't care about all the volunteer work I did. I did some pretty amazing volunteer work, and to them it was all worthless. They must have thought I was a nice person for doing the volunteer work I did, but it didn't help me get a job.

The eBay job I currently have I got through a staffing agency. It was just luck that I got into the agency, and luck that I got this job.

One's major doesn't matter. Hopefully as Annie said, you learn things in college that go beyond just academic learning. Hopefully you will learn to grow socially and emotionally, because that is what is really important in life.

Also, they didn't care about all the volunteer work I did. I did some pretty amazing volunteer work, and to them it was all worthless. They must have thought I was a nice person for doing the volunteer work I did, but it didn't help me get a job.

The times I have heard something like this helping is when you and another candidate are equally matched....ie, same tier univeristy, same GPA, same major, same work experience..... and they are trying to "break the tie." volunteer work will help, or other interesting pastimes. If you had great grades AND did volunteer work AND ran a marathon, while another person only had the great grades, you wind up looking more capable, like you can handle more pressure.

As for grades, yeah, I have noticed it too. Most people don't care that you got great grades, they mostly care that you passed. On the other hand, getting good grades can be good for getting scholarships/fellowships or internships or into certain socieities (like Phi Beta Kappa which really do look good on your resume).

I think it depends what country you are in also. Up here in Canada, all employers care about is work experience. They don't give a flip about grades, volunteer work, personal interests, or one's assocations. They really don't.

In the U.S. I think it is different though

Also lots of people here in Canada are confused about why American parents are so obsessed about sending their kids to the "right" college, or helping them choose the "right" degree. Most Canadians really don't care what university or college you go to, as long as it has fundamental accreditation. And majors are all the same more or less.

Not being an American myself though, I am probably not in a position to judge an American's decision to choose a "right" college or to change a major.......

Allot of people change majors and then a year doesn't count. However, the biology degree would probably take longer than a psychology degree anyway, so you may not be losing as much time as you think.

There is some overlap between biology and psychology. For example, there are psychology courses on sensation and perception (seeing, hearing, etc) so maybe some of the biology course fit into the psychology degree.

One thing to consider is future jobs. I think for psychology, it is better to get a Ph.D. degree which you can do right after getting a Bachelors degree (no M.S.). Then you could do research or teach at a university. However, it would require another three years of school.

Volunteer work may not play a huge role in getting a job, but it can in getting in to a good PhD program in a field like psychology. By volunteering, you'd get actual experience helping people, which can do a lot to prepare you if you plan to be a therapist.

Also, see if your school has a co-op program. Co-ops are like internships, but you are promised pay. My husband got a co-op as a caregiver for children/young adults with autism during his senior year of college. In addition to doing something he found very fulfilling, he was able to learn a lot, get a lot of formal training/certificans, and he had a lot of experience to talk about during his graduate school interviews. Plus, dealing with a difficult population may help you decide whether or not the field is right for you.

Archived