Speed Dating????

cpc28655

We have a new executive chef where I work. He was talking about what he did after his divorce was final. He said he did something called speed dating. I had never heard of this (laugh if you want), so I looked it up. Is this some kind of joke?

I heard about this in my theray session today; my counselor actually suggested it. Although the idea does sound like a crazy idea (you only have of course a limited time to choose who you like) I think it's an interesting concept; of course, the whole point of dating is a long process of getting to know the person, too.

I never did it but several friends did. One friend went last Saturday and already had two "real" dates with two of the men she met. It's premise is that in a few minutes of chatting you can tell whether there is interest in getting to know each other better on a "real" date. Typically the sponsors will only share contact information if both people expressed interest in seeing each other again.

Much like personal ads, it sounds like a way to meet what I used to call, "perfectly nice men who I would not have otherwise met."

If you have the money and some interest, I don't see the harm in going as long as you go with no expectations. You might be pleasantly surprised and meet someone you'd like to see again.....or you could meet a bunch of pefectly nice women who you would not have otherwise met.

I actually have done it. I'm going tonight for the 3rd time. I did meet someone nice, but I'm still searching. The conversations were great and everyone was nice, polite and engaging. I think it's better than online dating because you can get a sense right away from body language and gut feelings if the person is someone you would like to continue with. I found myself wanting to talk with most people longer than 5 minutes, but the nice thing about that is if you match that's another opportunity to continue the conversation. I did online dating and found it to be filled with dishonesty. Not that there isn't the ability to do that here, but it's harder witht the person sitting in front of you.

It isn't! Its something like 20 eligible bachelors and 20 eligible bachlerottes get together and each of them have a 3 minutes date with each other before moving on. At the end of it they choose which one they have a spark with, then if they match they'll contact each other etc..

Some kind of spontaneous fast dating thing, you only have 3 minutes! Haha..

to all of you who are laughing at the idea of doing something like this.

Wait until you are in your 30's and you have yet to meet someone you find a connection with.

You have gone on countless online, blind and bar dates. You spend X amount of time getting ready ...driving to the location only to realize 5 minutes after you got there that you'd rather be home sitting on the couch watching Jay Leno with a pint of ben and jerry's.

THEN come and laugh about speed dating.

Don't knock it till you try it.

I would consider trying it. Speed dating has been mocked in some circles (I am reminded of a recent TV commercial), but it seems to have its advantages: it brings 'single and looking' people together, where they can assess each others' looks, body language, general level of intelligence, etc.

Speed dating is not the Wonder of the Ages--one person can never completely know another, no matter how much time is spent together--but it seems like a good jump start for judging basic compatibility.

Wait until you are in your 30's and you have yet to meet someone you find a connection with.

You have gone on countless online, blind and bar dates. You spend X amount of time getting ready ...driving to the location only to realize 5 minutes after you got there that you'd rather be home sitting on the couch watching Jay Leno with a pint of ben and jerry's.

Oh, I don't doubt that I would've tried it when I was single IF it was available in the town I was living in. (It wasn't. Last time I was single, I think the whole speed-dating thing was just starting in larger cities.)

I also expect the results would've been much the same as what I got with the dozens of newspaper personal ads I placed and answered through the 90's.....a few men I dated for brief periods of time, one year-long relationship, and a lot of men who I would not have otherwise met.

Have you tried it? What did you think of it?

I did it with a friend. It was free, I'd never pay to do that.

I thought it was a different way to meet people, but there weren't any guys in the pool that I wanted to date. I did enjoy talking to a bunch of the guys though, especially the one guy that was restoring a Craftsman house. There were a couple guys that were what I would call sullen and there were a couple that were kinda scary.

I did it once right after my relationship with my ex ended... It was pretty bad. I mean, no love connections or anything, haha! As a woman I definitely felt like there were TONS of good women there (lots of competition, haha) but no good men at the event I went to. Don't know if that's the way it tends to be, but I think maybe women have adopted the speed dating thing faster than men at this point. It was expensive and the food/drinks sucked.

I much prefer these singles adventure clubs now. You go and actually DO an activity, and there may or may not be someone you click with there, but you always have a great time and can meet FRIENDS too! That's way more natural than speed dating, IMO.

I'd be willing to try it. If only I lived in a big city that had something like that. Dating agencies and online dating? Nah. But speed dating is a great way to ascertain who is not right for me in five minutes. Sign me up! lol

I did it in February. Had a great time. Funny enough, the place I went to is having another tonight. I doubt i'll go again or in the future. It was fun, but I did it because I was afraid of going. It was a way to get myself back into the dating frame of mind.

I still get emails from one of the women I met, but definitely no love connection when I went. I'm glad I went though.

Orlander

I've done it a couple of times. At the very least it is an interesting experience. I had a lot of fun. If I was single again, it would be something I would consider doing again.

Oh yeah, as a member of the "don't knock it till you try it" club... I actually met someone in one of my speed-dating sessions. We dated for 6 months.

Archived