Taking Criticism?...

jenna1012

Through middle school I was kind of the ugly duckling and I was teased...A LOT...it helped me build tough skin and now I don't care what people think about the way I look or dress (to some extent). Peoples comments about how I wear my hair or how my feet are too big roll right off my back.

At my high school, I'm on the volleyball team and orchestra (cello) I'm 17, but I can't seem to deal with criticism. I'm at the top of my team in volleyball, but in orchestra I'm pretty mediocre. I'm in this quartet and yes, I am the least experienced of the bunch. Long story short, they talk about kicking me out behind my back...they talk about how much I suck...it bothers me that they can't say things to my face (I tend to take things better that way), rather than have me find out and pretend that I don't know. I just have a problem with this...I could be joining a different quartet or doing my own thing if they would just say things to my face...

maybe this was just more of a rant....

Confront them. Put an end to the catty games. Point blank say "do you want me to continue, because if not I have other people that want me in their quartet." Play your heart out. I was violin for years and know how snobbish that lot can get, the Viola's were looked down on and the cellos were beneath them. I hated playing with them (the violins) so I had my teach sit my with the cellos.

I agree. You should bring this up with them. Or else, just go ahead and make plans to join another quartet without them knowing it (maybe talk to your teacher?). Then simply let them know you're switching. It's not right for them to have that attitude and not talk to you about it directly. It's pretty immature of them, if you ask me.