Vynde

Pulling the visor down, He curses as he drives over the railroad tracks.

The sun, just beginning to wake, creeps up from behind the distant trees.

It tells a story that he knows well. One which he loved but no longer likes.

One that haunts him;

The beach was empty. The sand still damp from the previous night. The sky getting lighter by the second while distant clouds dotted the horizon and almost looked strategically placed. It was perfect.

“Who proposes at sunrise”? He thought. He never heard of anything like it. She was going to love it.

The sun slowly revealed itself as it came up from the ocean like a bubble in slow motion, lighting up the clouds with colors not even an artist could recreate. He brought her to the waters edge to some light colored rocks that gave the impression they were floating on the water.. The breeze was tender and riding on it was the scent of Cadushi flowers, which were blooming not far away.

He gazed into her exquisite green eyes which held the vision of a sunflower within each one. With a shaky voice.. He proposes.

“Yes” she said, with the excitement of a child. A kiss sealed it. Imprinting an emotion on his soul only death could remove.

It was a real life fairy-tale that replayed itself almost every morning. He started to hope for rainy, cloud covered mornings. It was the only way the story might evade his thoughts. Even then, it was sometimes able to stealthily creep in.

Pulling into the parking lot, he finds a space towards the back. He sits in his car – always getting their about ten minutes early. He sits in silence. Not a sound other than the engine of his car and the background noise of the hard working heater. His back always to the sun, he makes sure to look straight ahead and not to glimpse into any mirrors.

“People must think I’m some kinda nut” he thinks to himself.

A tear rolls out from the crook of his eye, following the contour of his cheek.

“Maybe I am”.

Vynde,

Thanks for sharing ...

I too have a story that haunts me still ... I know it's not good for me to hold on to it (as is evidenced by many tearful moments it has produced) but I find myself welcoming its presense ...

I still remain somewhat clueless as to what might be less painful ... to allow its haunting (but beautiful) presense to cloud over my life or to rip it from the fabric of my current narrative ...