Writing as a career choice.

Silentlyfor

Hey all. Ever since my late teens and given my gift with language, I've wanted to write for a living. I've run into a few problems along the way that have made things a bit trying for me as of late. First off, I don't what medium I should write for. I have a few interests I can delve into but I'm mostly a jack of all trades in terms of what i know. I do want to do novels and whatnot, but in the meantime I don't know if I would perform well as a writer as a magazine journalist or if I could write short stories for a living or what. I want to put bread on my table by writing. THAT'S what I want to do.

Second, there are days where my writing ability is phenomanal. Other days, I either feel lethargic, or apathetic or largely untalented. THOSE days, I write as well as a grade schooler. I don't know how to make my ability as a writer seamless and uninterrupted by things such as creative apathy and whatnot.

Third, education. As a writer, I don't know where I should go or what degree I would need. One thing is for certain, however, I do want a degree or Post Secondary Education in this field or an area likened to the realm of writing. What degree should I go for? Where should I get it?

I'm hoping that fellow writers will post here and give whatever fruits of their experiences or knowledge will give me. However, I would LOVE ANY feedback anybody has to give.

If you want to write, you need to read. And read a LOT! I'm a fan of the modernists and existentialists -- So Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, Calvino, Melville, and Turgenev are all authors I would suggest for you to read. Going to a university to study English could be a good idea, but it's not necessary; however it will force you to read and write on a daily basis. Also, in some cases, you may even be able to have a discussion of the material you're reading on a regular basis. Don't just read literature -- study it, think about it, live it. It's a long process and very few succeed in the long run, but if you have a vision and stick with it -- who knows? -- you might be the next Faulkner.