I Need Advice On Moving Someone ASAP

Calvin5

I'm trying to move my elderly father from a nursing home Michigan to live with me in Oregon.

Even if he needs to be in a nursing home there, I want him near me.

I think renting a truck and moving him (which would take about 5 days) may be a little too harsh on him.

I'd like to know how can I fly him and his furniture from Michigan to Oregon.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pack his essentials in a few suitcases, then get all his other things (furniture etc) boxed up and ready to move. Call up a moving service (Mayflower is one) and help them get things in the truck. Fly with your father to your place and wait a few days till they arrive.

Hmm could be expensive, but wouldn't be much stress on your father.

Make sure you have all his medication in order and plenty for the trip and a couple weeks so you can get him set up with a new doctor and not worry about running out.

Fly with him and leave all the stuff to the movers. Take clothing for a couple weeks and get his favorite personal items.

Make sure the airline knows he's elderly or if he has any medical problems. Hydration can be a big issue for elderly people on long trips, make sure the airline will provide adequate water or sports drinks (they don't allow you to bring stuff on any more and they can be stingy on the plane).

Is he healthy enough to be moved without special medical care? By that. I mean does he maybe need to be moved in an ambulance so they can monitor his condition and give him any care he might require on the trip?

If he's healthy enough to fly, you should do as the others suggested and notify the airlines. They can make certain things available on the flight. You may need to rent some oxygen to bring along just in case.

Talk to his doctors in Michigan and see what they recommend. They'll be able to tell you how to safely move him out to be with you.

As far as his belongings, like the others have mentioned simply hire a reputable moving company (be careful for scam movers, stick to the big names). They'll put it in a truck and drive it out there. Flying furniture is just way too expensive.

Also make sure if you have him fly with you on the plane, he walks around about every hour, or stetches out his legs really well.

Especially being older, he runs the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) (blood clots in the legs) which can lead to pulmonary embolism (which is very dangerous) by sitting still at high altitudes for so long.

Thank you all very much for the advice you've given so far.

He is 87 years old and has advanced dementia.

He's currently in a nursing home where he's been for the last week recooperating from renal failure.

I'm trying to decide should I just leave him there for a while longer although no one is there to look after him but the nursing staff.

Or bring him back to Oregon with me and see if he can stay with me in my apartnment or needs to be checked into a nursing home there.

I don't think you'll be able to care for a dementia patient in your apartment. You'd need to be there 7x24 just in case something happened. He could never be left alone.

You'll have to talk to the doctors there to see whether he's stable enough for transport. Let them guide you in making the decision that is right for your family.

My wife works with Alzheimer's and dementia patients in a nursing home and they require full time help 24/7 depending on how far the disease has progressed. It is not by any means an easy task and it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for you to look after him at home.

Does he recognise you or anyone else? Many dementia patients do not and families have a hard time coming to terms with this fact. This is a very hard time for you and you have my sympathy. I understand that you want what is best for him - but deciding what the 'best' implies is not always easy or obvious. Think through very carefully any decisions that you make.

All

I'm finding all of your advice very helpful.

When I visited my father the other day it looked as if he should stay in the nursing home a few weeks longer to recover because he looked to weak to make the trip.

But I decided to go to the nursing home today for a Christmas visit and see how he was doing, managed to get him out of the bed to walk and eat and it looked like he shot back to life....laughing and everything.

Although he needs the therapy of a nursing home and the trip would surely tire him out, I'm convinced that the staff there aren't doing all they can to help bring him back around.

So now I'm trying to decide whether I should take the risk of moving him to be closer to me even if it's just to ensure he gets the help he needs.

Or leave him there where atleast he'll be closely monitored even if it's not the best of care.

One thing's for sure.....I don't like the health-care in America today.

Especially in the inner city areas.

I think you should talk to his doctors and then find a facility for him in Oregon before you go.

It wouldn't be safe for you or him to be in your apartment for an extended time. He would need constant supervision like a small child. I suspect flying would be the easiest way to get him there.

The airlines can arrange for a wheelchair so he doesn't have to walk the long distances in most airports.

Sara

I think you should talk to his doctors and then find a facility for him in Oregon before you go.

Yes, you're right.

I was so busy trying to find an apartment in Oregon before rushing back to see him I didn't have time to really look for any nursing facilities there.

I wasn't sure of his condition back in Michigan.

It wouldn't be safe for you or him to be in your apartment for an extended time. He would need constant supervision like a small child. I suspect flying would be the easiest way to get him there.

After visiting him, I can clearly see that.

I can also see that taking him along on a long trip and trying to get him to cooperate would also be too great of a challenge at this point.

yopu might also talk to the local Hospice organisation. They can alot of times organize all this for you. They will do all the transport for you along with the appropriate supervision.

Also, he may not be able to fly at all. my Grandmother was transported by train.