Is it better to work with people older or younger than you?

Double J

Hey everyone, Happy Thanksgiving.

I have a question concerning the workplace. I'm currently doing a part-time internship at a media/advertising agency. It's been great so far - great pay and I've learned so much. I am the youngest one there and the only part-timer.

Most of the people I work with, though, are considerably older than I am. I don't work with anyone in my age range (e.g. young 20 something year old fresh out of college or about to graduate like I am).

In your view, is this a good thing or a bad thing? I see it this way: It's good in the sense that you could probably learn a lot from those who are more seasoned and experienced in the field. Additionally, I've heard that the more people you work with who tend to be your age, the more fierce competition (and hence rear-end kissing) there will be in the office.

I feel that the disadvantage to not working with people in your age group is that you don't identify as much with your co-workers. I've seen that people in the office will talk to me (usually I initiate the conversations) but then they'll go and talk longer and more frequently to the older big boys (directors, etc.)

Is this part of "paying your dues"? I'm aware that since I'm a part-timer, I don't have as much time to interact with these people since I go to school part-time.

Any feedback/similar experiences ?

I've had experience working with people both my age and older...And I must say that I enjoy working with an older crew much more. I am so grateful that I can stay out of any drama that the older employees may be having, while at the same time I can carry on a good conversation with them (I like to think that I'm mature for my age).

At my old workplace, everybody was the same age, and oh boy, drama galore. You inevitably get sucked up into the whole cycle of workplace relationships, competition, backstabbing...Not to say that those things don't exist with older employees, but they're just SO prominent in younger ones.

I wouldn't worry about not identifying with your coworkers too much because, like you said, you are a part-timer and you probably have a social circle outside of work. Once you get a full-time job, then feeling left out may be a problem because you spend such a large chunk of your time at work...but for now, enjoy the perks and don't worry about being the youngest one -- as long as you don't get taken advantage of because of your age.

Hey there,

It is the other way around for me. I am one of the oldest workers at one of my jobs. The average age there is like 21-22 and I am 30! I have nothing in common with these people anymore. All they want to do is go out, drink, gamble and spend money. I am way past that phase of my life and even when I was that age, I was not interested in those past times.

So, while everyone is hanging out and waiting for others to get off work to go out, I am closing and going home afterwards. So, it can be lonely and I feel a bit out of place. So, being older is not always fun and I just don't identify with them at all.

So, it can go both ways.

I guess I'm currently in the middle of the age range at work. I enjoy interacting with people of all ages and I learn from all of them and vice versa. I find the difference in their perspectives quite entertaining and educational. We give, receive, and exchange advice, opinions, and jokes very freely. Actually, being middle aged is awesome in that regard.

When I was a teen and in my early twenties, I definitely preferred the company of people older than myself, especially at work. I was (at that time) rather mature for my age since I'd grown up fast and early, partly due to starting working 30 hours a week starting when I was 15 and a sophmore in high school. I think that mentally I was age 30 when I was 15 or 16.

At my current age of 38, I'm a bit immature for my age since I still think and feel about 30. I mentally grew up to about age 30 and decided that I was grown up enough since my bills are paid and my credit excellent again (after recovering from earlier injuries and repairing credit). Plus I had some other things that kept me a bit socially younger. I see no reason to grow up further since that would be growing old. Currently I like the company of adults of all ages at work and elsewhere. I think once you are grown up enough to be responsible, there's no benefit and some downsides of getting any mentally older beyond the point of being responsible and reliable.

I am 40 and for the last two summers I mentored a woman who was your age and had majored in advertising in college. (I do not work for an advertising agency). She was thrilled to work with me - and I don't mean that in a conceited way! - she felt that she could learn a lot from my career path, successes and mistakes, and she also shared some personal relationship decisions with me. I got a lot out of the mentoring relationship too.

I always liked working with older more seasoned people but I also like a mix. In my field, there can be 40 year olds who are just starting out and 30 year olds who have 5 years of experience, etc. Age isn't always the measure of experience.

I work with a lot of people who are older than me. I get along well with them, but sometimes I think my enthusiasm and my newfangled smilies makes them think I am "cute."

Oh well.

So long as I get recognition for my hard work (I do... most of the time), and respect for my ideas (I have a good track record of ideas being used), I don't mind if I am the cute puppy of the office!

I work with a mix of ages. We've talked about this 'issue' before because there is a divide in the ages.

Lots who are younger than me - early 20's. (I'm late 20's)

Lots who are older than me- 40+.

I am the only one in the 25-40 range. I'm so special. lol. So, it's kinda funny. I relate in part to both age groups, but more so the older crowd. Because I'm not fresh out of a school (never went to uni, nor did a lot of the olders, we learned by working various jobs and experience), and I'm not into partying bf/gf dramas nor 'being a big shot'. However, I love the energy and lack-of-bitterness of the youngers(not all older are bitter, but some are really worn down! lol).

They are easy to teach, but i don't care for managing them (they want to be friends first) LOL.

Enough about me!

No matter who you work with, there are advantages and the suckiness factor.

For you, Double J, that environment is great for learning and gaining contacts!

Not the best for making friends your age: but you have other places to do that so no problem.

It can be both a good thing and a bad thing. One of my best friends is 19 and I am 17. We work great together (he is currently taking Grade 13 in high school or what its known as today a 5th year) thats what makes us good friends. At my job (Best Buy) I work with older people as well as people around my age. I dont find it bad at all they treat me with respect and basically the way I want to be treated. But at my old job which was at No Frills the local supermarket, one of the manager's was like 50 years old and he was treating me like I was scum. So its good and bad to work with people older then you.