Why is it that...

easyguy

...when you are overweight/obese, you are naturally (making a huge generalization here) polite and nice to people, but when you lose weight and are in shape/regular, there is the natural tendency to be more outspoken, and perhaps [more] rude to people?

It just amazes me the psychological changes that happen when you lose/gain weight. I've been getting in better shape lately, and I've noticed that I am sharper mentally, am not shy at all (when I used to normally be very shy and reclusive), I'm more talkative, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on this whole thing?

well with all my experiences, I find that ah obsese/overwieght people lean more toward rude...at least where I am.

Everytime, I pass one they give me that evil glare...

So, I disagree with that...the ones I have incountered are rude and just plain miserable bunch of people...and if they have low-self-esteem, maybe they should start by adopting a new attitude

I lost about 35 pounds once, and my pants fell down more, but I was the same. I've known folks who've lost major pounds without personality changes, except they seem happier. In fact, I've seen a tendency for heavier people to be cranky.

If you're overweight, then you're generally going to have self-esteem issues. This will lead to your either (a) being nice to everyone because you want them all to like you, or (b) hating everyone so that it doesn't matter if they don't like you. If you lose weight, then your self-esteem goes up, and you aren't as concerned with being nice to people so that they'll like you -- you figure they'll like you because you're not overweight anymore.

It wouldn't make you happier or make your life change dramatically. You'd still have the same problems to deal with, only in smaller clothes.

For some people, it doesn't change anything. Weight can be just a number. But for others, like myself and maybe Renn, it does in fact change things. It may not solve some all the problems in the world, but it can maybe change my attitude about a problem, so I can approach it differently.

I don't know if you have led an obese life before, QTpie, but shedding lots of weight can have drastic effect on cognition. I've been around people who have gone through it. Perhaps it doesn't do anything for you personally, but having renewed energy, confidence, and high self-esteem from a change in lifestyle should in turn make you a generally happy person, problems aside.

I agree with Brownie; I've never found overweight people to be "naturally nice." I think they have issues from struggling with feelings of chronic low self-regard. I don't think losing weight is necessarily the cure for that, either; I think that although the low self-esteem is in part a product of the overweight, the real problem is their focus on their weight as a measure of self-worth and competence. If you're thin or fat, as long as you go around telling yourself you're not as good as other people, you're going to be p'd off most of the time, and you'll take it out on other people you think are judging you. Easyguy, in more specific answer to your remark, you feel sharper because exercise increases the blood flow to your brain -- you actually are sharper. That, in turn, cuases you to feel more energized, outgoing and confident. There may also be a component of "dream fulfillment," where you are now giving yourself permission to be the person you always thought you could be -- a more outspoken person, apparently. All good things.

For some people, it doesn't change anything. Weight can be just a number. But for others, like myself and maybe Renn, it does in fact change things. It may not solve some all the problems in the world, but it can maybe change my attitude about a problem, so I can approach it differently.

I don't know if you have led an obese life before, QTpie, but shedding lots of weight can have drastic effect on cognition. I've been around people who have gone through it. Perhaps it doesn't do anything for you personally, but having renewed energy, confidence, and high self-esteem from a change in lifestyle should in turn make you a generally happy person, problems aside.

actually, I have and I think how that came out was wrong. I reread it today and I sounded pretty narrow minded. It does help you with self-esteem issues and boosts your self confidence to look good. But what I was trying to get accross is that being overweight isin't the biggest problem in the world. I'm sorry for saying that in a way that sounded mean.