Anonybrit

Some of us just seem to be born the "philosophical" types. Underage drinking, rock festivals and fasion trends aren't their idea of living on the edge. We tell ourselves that normal, middle class suburban life is too boring to be worth giving a chance.

"Happiness? Pfft. How can I be happy without a few scars first" we say. "Give me darkness!".

I don't know whether it's a conscious decision or an inevitable part of our personality, but we shun the lifestyles of those around us. We join in up to a point, but we're never truly a part of it, and over that whole we bluetack a "Coming Soon" sign.

"Screw your vintage clothing and coffee bars. That's not life! Give me dark nights of the soul. Give me rock bottom!" we tell our friends and family, and of course, ourselves.

Then, when we finally hit rock bottom, when we've finally found that darkness and submerged ourselves completely in it, once we've not just seen the ulgier sides of the human condition, but become a living, breathing, rotting part of it... then we beg for the light back.

I see philosophy as an introspective medium into human nature and emotion. I've been the observer, the on-looker my entire life. And with that, I have noticed things that some people will never notice in people. It may never make a difference whether I know it or not, I just know it because life fascinates me. I can look at a picture and see something that the person next to me doesn't see. For example, I can look at RedQueen's avatar and see that, while she appears happy doing whatever she's doing, there is something about her expression that leads me to believe that at that very moment in time, there was something inside of her that sparked a feeling of slight discomfort.

Yes, I have read Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. A fine read!

I wouldn't equate philosopher-type people with being into "dark nights of the soul" and people who want to be at "rock bottom." Consequently, there are many middle class suburbanites who are very deep/philosophical-type thinkers. No offense, but your post seemed to be a bit stereotypical.

Sorry?

I'm a fan of Starbucks.

Some aspects of my upper-middle class upbringing I'm grateful for - I don't feel at all embittered of my private school education, for example. (Well, aside from those years spent in a classroom at a wooden desk learning Latin...) etc.

I'm a big rock and punk fan, I just don't go to festivals because I get scared of crowds - its not snobbery.

I admire traditional middle class values - some of them. Order and self improvement, for example. Both useful to a stable society. I just dislike the intense hypocrisy, a fear to live outside the box, the sheer pettiness of everyday issues like where your kids go to school, where you buy your cashmere sweaters, where you're going skiing for Christmas...I grew up with a lot of that rubbish around me, THAT'S what annoys me about the traditional middle class life.

I've had a fairly stimulating time of it considering I'm white and very comfortable financially. Boring life? No. Sometimes..I wish!

I know how to dress well, I just tend to feel too sickened when I go into shops and I know the shallow/exploitative nature of it.

I appreciate this post isn't the most coherant I've ever written, but it's grossly stereotypical to assume that "thinker types" are those who are bitterly rejecting standard middle-class pursuits in order to deliberately hit rock bottom!

The deepest philosophical type I know would be my philosophy lecturer, who studied it formally for years, to PhD level etc etc.

And guess what? He is one of the most consistently HAPPY people I know. So..y'know. It ain't all like you make out. Yeah.

Yes I would consider myself somewhat of a philosopher, which I've come to realize is nothing more than a euphemism for "someone-who-suffers-from-pathologically-thinking-too-much".

I have heard that many philosophers, writers and mind-oriented folks love cats. I saw your quote and then saw CarnelianButterfly's cat avatar. Cats are experts at watching. Dogs do this too and I love 'em also but cats make a point of watching. Like thinking, watching too much can be a pathology for us humans. But there is plenty of room for those of us who suffer with the burden of thinking and watching.

The opposite type of behavior probably gets folks into more serious trouble.

Someday I hope to be an extroverted introvert.