Should Marketing (Research) major minor in Psychology?

Double J

Greetings all,

I have a question mainly directed at those involved in business/marketing/social science. I'm majoring in marketing (senior) and desire to work in research in the near future. I chose to get a minor in psychology to complement my major - something I feel would look very nicely on my resume.

The issue is that I'm not sure what I should do regarding the psychology courses that would be most appropriate to take. I'm currently taking Social Psychology (we did cover research methods briefly and have discussed persuasion in advertising) and Small Group Behavior (wanted to take a class to learn how to work better in groups.)

The university course catalog lists a class called "Consumer Psychology" that doesn't exist in actuality so I'm guessing it hasn't been updated in a while. The psychology dept. offers "Research Methods in Psychology," which I wanted to take, but the problem is that the dept does not deem this course a psychology course per se, and thereforeeee does not count it for psych minors. If I was to pick this course, I wouldn't get credit for it as far as my minor - it can only count as an additional elective for my major (these 3 electives would already be covered with the 5 classes I need to take for my minor).

Should I still take this research methods course regardless? What peeves me is that I'm going to end up paying hundreds for a class that won't even count for my minor, and so I'd be forced to still take this one and 5 others (6). The university also offers a class called "Personnel Psychology" and another called "Organizational Psychology" which I think are variations of the Management class business majors have to take (which I've already taken) and I don't feel they're what I'm looking for. They seem more like HR Psychology.

Any opinions/suggestions would be most helpful. I'm still wondering if I should stick with my guns in this minor or abandon getting a minor completely.

IMHO, I'd go for a double major. The jobs I'm applying for, twenty years later, would like a degree in psych. Sad thing is, I was only two courses short of a double major. I could lie, but my diploma says otherwise. For so little additional work, it's worth a double major.

And I have an MBA in marketing and a certificate in HR management and am also bilingual. The more, the better.

IMHO, I'd go for a double major. The jobs I'm applying for, twenty years later, would like a degree in psych. Sad thing is, I was only two courses short of a double major. I could lie, but my diploma says otherwise. For so little additional work, it's worth a double major.

Agreed. And it's not even necessarily more work. I don't know what it's like in the U.S. but at a Canadian school you can complete 2 majors without exceeding the required number of credits.

And I've actually found that 4th year courses can be easier than 1st year courses (ie: all those extra courses you take just for credit, but that don't work toward a specific major). It sounds counterintuitive. But the thing is that once you've already done a ton of courses in a particular major, you become more comfortable with it. When you take a 1st year course, you have to learn a whole new framework, vocabulary, approach, methods, etc.