full body physical?

My doctor had asked me to make an appointment for one of these, inlcuding a pap smear as I've never had one before. I know what the pap smear is but what exactly is a "full body physical"? I know I have to get some blood taken but what else does this involve?

I'm kind of freaked out, even though I know it's standard procedure.

Take blood, record your weight, check eyes, ears, nose, throat. Check heart rate and blood pressure. Breast exam, reflexes, and the blessed PAP.

There is nothing to freaked out about. Your first Pap is a bit uncomfortable but nothing to be afraid about. If you have a good doctor they will try and make it as relaxing and unobtrusive as possible. Welcome to the world of yearly exams.

Hey, I recently had one so I can let ya in on it. It's no big deal at all. I go once a year or so.

There may be a bit of difference in what your doc has as routine, but it usually includes these:

*ask you a few questions and give you an opportunity to voice any concerns

*check your ears by peering in with a light (no pain or discomfort)

*check your eyes with a light (ditto)

*check your reflexs with that little hammer

*weigh in and measure your height

*check your throat (aaaahhh)

Then you put on one of those gowns for

*breast exam (simply feeling around your breast tissue)

*pelvic exam

*pap smear

Then a routine blood test (they don't take much) to screen for the usual suspects: stuff like your blood sugar, diabetes, low iron, whatever he thinks he should test

No worries. It is one of the easiest trips to the doctor.

Take care.

My first pap scared the crap out of me and I canceled my appointments several times. I waited until I was a couple years past when you should have your first. If you've had sex its a must, I haven't but wanted to start birth control so my doc said I need to get an exam. I sucked it up and got it done and honestly it was no where near the ordeal I though it would be. I got to see my cervix and it was over in no time.

Of the full physical, the pap is the most intrusive. There will be some examination by the doc feeling you ovaries and uterus. They will probably ask you to give a urine sample and will draw blood. They listen to your heart and lungs, check your throat, ears, eyes, a breast exam. Check that your immunizations are up to date (you may need a tetanus booster). If your heading to college there are a bunch of shots that are required and a TB test.

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention to you...you can have a girl friend or your mom to be with you if you like. Maybe that will make you more comfortable?

You always have the option of having a third-party during the exams.

I usually just chat while it is being done. Keeps your mind occupied.

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention to you...you can have a girl friend or your mom to be with you if you like. Maybe that will make you more comfortable?

You always have the option of having a third-party during the exams.

I usually just chat while it is being done. Keeps your mind occupied.

I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than having someone there with me.

I always hear people say it's not a big deal but even reading about it makes my skin crawl. I'm such a baby.

Everyone here has given a very accurate description what happens. Seriously, it is NOT a big deal. I am not kidding, the whole exam will take 5-10 minutes. One thing about the pap smear....try to relax, if you tense up, it will make it worse. Take some deep breaths and you will be fine. And the doctor always lets you know what he/she will do before doing it, so there are no surprises.

It is imparative to see an ob/gyn EVERY year. It is very important to have these things checked out because many things that can go wrong with a woman's body happens internally and with virtually no pain or symptoms. ANd when the pain and symptoms do show up, it is usually to late to do something about it and the damage can be irreversable.