Stopping period on BC

Kara

I was wondering if it's safe to stop your period from arriving by skipping placebo week and jumping right into a new pack of pills. Will there be spotting or cramping? Any long-term harm? And does it matter what brand of BC you're using? I'd like to do this on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo so if anyone has any experience with this, that'd be great!

I've done it before on the ortho-trycyclene. It isnt dangerous and I dont think it's harmful. When you first do it, the first month, you will get some spotting, but after you get into the hang of it, the spotting goes away and you also get rid of the cramps. I would do it for about 4 month increments and then my period come (just to be safe) and then another 4 months. It worked out well for me.

I also feel that you should talk to your doctor.

I skip my period all the time with my pill but I'm on a monophasic pill. Ortho Tri-Cyclen pills are triphasic pills. That means the hormones in your pills are a different dosage throughout your monthly. With a monophasic pill it's the same dosage of hormones ALL the time. My doctor told me it was safe to skip with a monophasic pill because your messing with your body's hormones less than your are with the triphasic pills.

I also NEVER have spotting when I skip my period. I also only skip it twice in a row, then I let the third one come. (My doctor told me to.)

But again, talk to your doctor. There are people who skip with Ortho Try-Cyclen pills and are ok but, it IS different for every woman. A doctor would know best.