How does cutting affect love relationships?

ShaKe__

I personally have never been with someone like that, so I probably would panic and wouldn't know how to react. But I'd probably at least try to find out what is the reason behind the cutting and see if there's anything that I can do to help. If the situation doesn't improve then I'd probably break up the person because it's not something I would be able to deal with mentally.

Cutting affects love relationships the way any mis-directed anger/fear/anxiety/pain does. When you cut, you are trying to overcome emotional pain by inflicting physical pain, because physical pain is much more concrete... easier to understand and reconcile. However, the end effect is that you avoid overcoming the source of the emotional pain in the first place. You never really deal with it. It is a heavy burden that you carry with you. Like all baggage, until you deal with it, it negatively affects your interactions with others.

I would neither advocate cutting nor advocate being with a "cutter". Not because they are inherently unlovable, but because they are not working to overcome the deeper issue... they are not growing. It is ok to be imperfect... beauty is shown in how people continue to persevere in the face of difficulties... their willingness to confront their struggle... whether emotional or physical... escape is not quite so beautiful... regardless the form.

Good advice nj.I was a cutter when i was young.I pushed a couple of good relationships away.It scared them bad.If you are a person that hasnt eduacated yourself on this,it does look psychotic.Me personally even though i was a cutter,if the person wasnt seeking or trying new healthy ways of coping,i wouldnt be in the relationship.I would help the person to the point were i wasnt enabling them.Because what happens when we break up am i going to be the reason they start cutting again.There is only so much you can do for the person,then they have to start and want help.Most importantly,be thier friend.Thats all you can be sometimes.