The mile run...

Im going to start running after work, theres a nice 1/4 mile track by my house and i was wondering.... It's been some time (~a year) since i ran, but i like the sense of sucess i get from the full mile so i would normally start at my "natural run" (jog) speed, and work up the pace as i progressed. It had occurred to me, that i might be more driven to finish by starting at full speed and working up to the full distance....

So do i run as fast as i can, till i cant anymore

Or run the full mile, at a speed that will allow me to barely complete it?

Run slower and longer, you use more calories prolonging it then if you burn all your energy on sprints and it won't over stress your body. You really should build up your exertion. Running long distances you should run on the flat of your foot, it absorbs the shock better and you don't fatigue as quickly.

What kind of a running track is it? I hope it is not a concrete surface... That is very bad to be running on.

I was always told that if you wanted to run that you should always run on sand or grass, the ground isn't as hard so it will not do as much damage as running on concrete does to your knee joints. If you run on concrete or a hard surface like after a year or two it can do serious damage to your knee muscles... Also get yourself a good pair of running shoes.

Good luck and have fun running!

Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely go the mile then, it's my preferred method anyhow...

Unfortunately all i have is oakley combat boots, but they've served me well thus far. Most of the running i used to do was on varied terrain, soil/sand, this track is made of recycled tires though, so i imagine it couldnt be too harsh...

You may need to get your cardiovascular status up to par before you start running full out. I recommend starting off real easy, to avoid injury.

I started to run again about 6 weeks ago. Just real easy in the beginning, until my cardiovascular status improves. I alternate with running on the roads with running on a treadmill at the gym.

hosswhispra

Two methods I use:

30/60- Sprint 30 seconds then jog for 60. Alternate until you finish a mile.

If you want a good time, then do this. If you want to run, say an 8 minute mile, divide that by 4. That is 2 minutes per lap. Now run one lap as fast as you can and time it. Jog the other 3. You will see your time drop very quickly.

Don't sprint it, especially if you don't normally run that kind of distance. Otherwise you may hurt yourself as a result of putting to much strain on your body (mainly legs). If you ever watch the summer olympics, the runners who go for long distances pace themselves so they don't get tired right away. Same with long distance bicycle racing. If you put all your energy into going fast and getting to the finish line too fast, you probably wouldn't last the entire race!

I'm no expert, but just out of common sense, I'd suggest just pacing yourself. But work yourself hard enough so that you're getting your heart rate up.