oil on babies hair

hey!!!

ok so i have a 2months year old cousin were all really rusty on how to handle a new baby so just wondering about a few things.

right before we bathe her we massage her with baby oil everywhere and leave her to just kick and play a little then we just rinse her off not using any shampoo or soap. But now her hairs really matted on the top and due to the weather shes come up in alot of heat rash and her skin is soooooooooooo rough just dont know what to do. We've been to the doctor they just recommended the cream E45

Ok, you don't really want to put anything on a babys sensitive skin that will clog its pores or irritate it.

Why can't you use soap/shampoo? Go buy some Johnson and Johnson's Tearless Baby Shampoo. They used that on both of my babies right in the hospital. Failing that, if you don't have anything at hand, just put them in a warm and let them soak. Wet one or several washrags in their warm water and lay them accross their stomach so they don't get cold, and let them soak.

The baby will get clean that way and the water will soften their skin. Then when you go to the store you can buy some really hypoallergenic baby lotion to rub on her directly after the bath when her skin will absorb the most moisture....

Sound good?

Don't put oil on her head. Take care that the sun doesn't shine on her head or skin, does she have a little umbrella at her buggy? I'd use a baby's sunblock, and use a little cotton hat for her head. The skin is still very fragile when they are that young, take care that there is no sunburn. Oil will only aggrevate the effect of sunshine and increase sunburn. Use a baby shampoo or just wash with water for most of the time. The skin has it own way of protecting itself, and soap is nice for hygiene, but it can also take away the natural protection!

Ilse

The baby might have what is known as "cradles cap." It is like a baby dandruff that looks as though the skin is really flaky on top. There are special ointments you can put on the head to help aleviate it. If that is what is happening? Also like Vandgsmom mentioned Johnson & johnson Baby Shampoo is so mild that you can use it on babys hair.

reminds me of the time i put baby oil in my malteses' hair to help brush out the knots .... and well uh - it didn't work.

they had oily matted hair just like your lil one - i think i tried everything from baby powder to peanut butter (j/k) to soak it up , washing and washing some more, etc. etc

eventually, i had to shave them both bald ! j/k

but really, it went away after i don't know how many washes

just use a gentle shampoo and the oil will break down and wash away w/time

reminds me of the time i put baby oil in my malteses' hair to help brush out the knots .... and well uh - it didn't work.

they had oily matted hair just like your lil one - i think i tried everything from baby powder to peanut butter (j/k) to soak it up , washing and washing some more, etc. etc

eventually, i had to shave them both bald ! j/k

but really, it went away after i don't know how many washes

just use a gentle shampoo and the oil will break down and wash away w/time

They are referring to a baby not a puppy.

i know i was digressing

hmmm... heat rash and rough scalp of baby's head -

got it ! keep the lil one's scalp hydrated by using a cream or ointment recommended for cradle cap and put a pretty bonnet on her head, when you bath her use a gentle shampoo and rich conditioner to help moisten her scalp and try to gently exfoliate any of the cradle cap if there is any.