Me + Tampons = Confused.

Okay, so, I've always used pads, because my mom doesn't think I should use tampons (due to the risk of getting Toxic Shock Syndrome). However, I REALLY hate using pads, and I want to try using tampons. My mom doesn't support this, and says I have to figure out how to use them myself. So.. I'm a little lost.

Some issues I have:

1- Is there a significant risk that I'll get Toxic Shock Syndrome? I searched online, and most sites said to change tampons every few hours.. so if I do that, will I be okay?

2- I have no idea what kind of tampon to even buy. I know there are different tampons for heavy/medium/light periods.. but does the type of applicator or brand make a difference?

3- I'm a virgin, and I've never had anything up there before, so... I'm a little concerned about that. I'm not even sure if I'd be able to get the tampon in. I'm not that comfortable with my body, so the thought of trying to do that is freaking me out a little.

I'd really appreciate any responses to these issues.. I hate having to use pads.

Tampons are meant to be put inside you. As long as you follow the directions and read the "warnings" on the box, you should be ok.

Just try a brand that looks good to you. It's all based on personal preference really. It might take a little getting used to, but why not give it a try?

TSS is due to the residues left over by the chemical bleaching that is used to make the cotton so white. If you used natural or alternative products there will be no TSS. Even using regular pads can still cause TSS. If you or your mother are so concerned I suggest looking at the various products available. One website I know of is link removed they have a large range of natural products.

You should stick to the regular flow tampons, the risk of TSS goes up with the higher the absorbency. The applicators that cover the tip of the cotton are easier to use. There are plastics, paper and some that don't come with applicators. The shapes are all about the same, there are some that come in a slimmer size that would probably be a good idea to start with if you never used them before.

The first couple times you use tampons can be difficult, the key is to relax the muscles of your vagina and be very gentle, don't force it.

For your first try I'd recommend something like Tampax Pearl - cause it's the plastic applicator - I've found those are usually easier to get in there rather than cardboard - that's just me.

I was nervous my first time too - but I was 13 when I was trying it. It does take a while to get used to but once you get it you get it. Seriously though - TSS is not even that big of a worry - as long as you're hygenic...I usually change my tampons once every 4 hours and I've never had any issues.

Hey. My mom was the same way! She was adamently against tampons. To this day. lol. Sorry, it's just kind of cool to hear that I'm not the only one.

TSS. Well, you did the research. You do need to change tampons every few hours or so, depending on how heavy your flow is. If it needs changing, you change it. Pretty much common sense. There is no way to guarantee or eliminate the risk of TSS completely if you use tampons. But this risk is tiny.

Every box of tampons has an insert with info on TSS.

Ohh, it's a good idea never to sleep with a tampon in. Pads are better at night.

I really suggest you going to the store and buying yourself a box or a few. To look at first. Why not get a mixed pack? You can buy boxes that have a variety of different sizes and for different flows. I'd pick up a few different brands and styles so you can decide what is comfortable and works for you.

There are so many different kinds. It's all preference. You can ones with fancy applicators. The applicators are only there to make things easier for you. If you don't like them, you can get tampons without applicators like O.B.

There's information on how to properly use the things in every pack too. And it takes some trial and error to get comfortable with it. Just listen to your body and go at a rate that is comfy for you.

hope this helps

At age 19 I would say that you are old enough to certainly decide for yourself about using tampons or not.

The insertion is not that hard. Read the directions carefully and follow the natural angle of your vaginal canal when inserting. It will show you a diagram on the box.

If you change your tampon regularly, it is not likely you would have a problem with toxic shock.

Personally I prefer the plastic applicators to some of the paper/ cardboard applicators. The plastic ones with the rounded tip seem to insert best.

IF you are sensitive to scents and perfumes I would not use the scented or deodorized typed tampons since those may cause some irritation if you are allergic at all.

Why not buy a box and try them for a trial run. Couldn't hurt to try.

I agree with Itsallgrand that you shouldn't use tampons at night when you sleep. You should also change tampons frequently since that helps prevent TSS. I have found that using the Platex tampons with the plastic applicators is the most comfortable.

The first time you use a tampon it might be uncomfortable, esp if you are a virgin. It gets better with practice. I still remember the first time I used a tampon (before that I had normally used pads), it was my freshman year of college and I got my period the night of my baptism (I converted to Catholicism that year and had to go through a full body baptism). I was to wear a white baptismal gown that night and there was no way I could wear a pad with that so I had to get a quick lesson in using a tampon (and I was a virgin at the time). That was quite interesting .

I agree with Jennster, Tampax Pearl is probably the best "starter" tampon out there just because they are easy to insert and Tampax is the only brand I've tried that hasn't given me leaking problems. Start with regulars (color coded yellow) if they are either too big or too small for your flow, move up or down a size depending on what you need.

Also, TSS is a risk, but it is very, very, rare. I think I read somewhere that you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than getting TSS.

Just follow the directions on the box to stay away from risk though, most brands usually say "don't leave tampon in for over 8 hours". Also if you stay away from scented tampons you reduce risk a lot.

I used to wear pads and I too HATED them. I only wore them for a year they bugged me so much. Tampons are a lot more comfortable. Sometimes I forget I even have my period b/c you can't even feel a tampon.

I used to love the Kotex tampons. They had a plastic applicator over the cotton tip, come in all absorbancies (spelling?), and are A LOT cheaper than Tampax Pearl.

The main thing you have to remember when inserting them it to relax a lot.

As for TSS, I've never heard of anyone ever getting it so it must not be very common.

Some tips are to use the lightest absorbancy needed for your menstrual flow. It helps to wear a liner with it the first few times in case you have a small amount of leakage.

Try inserting a tampon for the first time when you are having your heaviest flow day, this make insertion for the first time a little smoother. The position you use to insert depends on how you feel comfortable. You can stand with one foot up on the edge of the toilet, or straddled over the toilet, or even lying down with your legs open (like at the gyno). Whatever is most comfortable for you.

Tampons should be changed every 4-6 hours, more frequenty if your flow is heavier. They have been shown to be safe to wear for up to 8 hours while you sleep at night, but I would recommend using a pad instead for at night if you are worried about TSS.

TSS is pretty rare now a days, and if you use the minimum absorbancy and change your tampons often, you should be OK. Make sure you wash your hands before inserting a tampon too. Some signs to look for would be a very high fever, tremors, nausea, vomiting & diarrhea, weakness, and dizziness.

I think you are DEFINITELY old enough to decide what options you want for your own periods at this point!

There is a risk of TSS, but it is EXTREMELY small and there are ways to drastically reduce that risk. Your mother may be a little bit overly concerned, based on perhaps misinformation, or problems in the past.

Do NOT use tampons with added fragrance, make sure to never leave in more than 8 hours, and ideally no more than 6 hours (less if flow is really heavy obviously). Wear the right tampon for your flow (light days use junior or light, heavy days use regular-super). You can also find organic (unbleached) ones if you look for them. Take "pad breaks" using a pad overnight, or even once in day if you feel better. Use pads/liners when your cycle is really light if you can.

You may also want to look at the Diva Cup/Instead/Moon Cup, which is a little cup you insert that catches flow. It's reusable and you have to wash it out and sterilize it now and then. It can be less convenient in public places but I know some people whom swear by them.

As for insertion, it may take some practice but the directions are pretty clear in the package. You may find it easier to lay down initially, or stand with one foot up on edge of tub or something. When it's in right, you should not feel it AT ALL. Just make sure you have the string to remove it! If you ever "lose" a tampon, you can "fish it out" using lubricated fingers, or go to your doctor/ER (don't worry you would not be first!). Make sure you never "forget" one in there either at end of cycle! If you ever develop a fever, shakes, nausea/vomiting, etc get thee to an ER ASAP!

You will find a lot more "mobility" I think versus a pad. I am pretty athletic and know I would NOT feel comfortable wearing pads doing those activities! Probably a bit more confidence too about not "showing" anything through your pants (you can chuck those "period pants" that hide your pads! lol).

Thank you all so so much! Yeah, my mom had some problems in the past with tampons, which is why she's against using them. But I'm going to go buy some today and try them out (got my period yesterday, I'm wearing a pad right now, grr). I actually wrote down everyone's suggestions on a sticky-note, so I will be following them.. Thanks again everyone