Can someone define "Clingy" for me.

Cyne

I was just curious, a friend of mine told me she was "Clingy". I've never really come accross that term in my experiences, so someone that can tell me it's meaning would be appreciated and if it's good or bad... I assume it's bad but that's just me.

It's generally a bad thing.

Clingy-calling all the time, leaching on, doesn't give a person space, basically 'cling' to the person (whether to a friend or bf/gf) usually deriving from insercurities

I think that's right (:

Clingy to me is someone that wants to be with you constantly or know what you are doing constantly. They call a lot, they follow you around like a little puppy, they don't want to allow you time to yourself . They want to be

" attached at the hip" all the time. They come accross as extremely needy and insecure.

Clingy to me is someone that wants to be with you constantly or know what you are doing constantly. They call a lot, they follow you around like a little puppy, they don't want to allow you time to yourself . They want to be

" attached at the hip" all the time. They come accross as extremely needy and insecure.

ding ding ding

I define clingy as not being able to live your own life. If you are consumed in your relationship and don't make time for anyone or anything else and don't let your partner do the same then you're clingy. Clingy for me is also associated with neediness and desperatness.... none of which are good things. You need to have your own life and your own things going on to keep relationships exciting and alive.

Cling is not a good term used on someone. The definition would be someone who always seems to be nagging on someone else and co-dependent on them b/c they can't find ways to solve things on their own. If they were alone, we would be desperate. Think of it like a parasite feeding on your body to stay alive, clingy people are like that and they do get at some point annoying.

I don't think that's a bad thing in small doses. That's why I said I like mildly clingly, but I don't require it.

Women who've liked me would say I'm devoted.

Women who've not liked me would say I'm a bit clingy.

It's all in the recipient's point of view, IMO.

However, I admit that clingy has a negative connotation. A more positive connotation would be "devoted". It's all in your point of view, IMO. Also a matter of what you like.

Perhaps we're talking about two different things?

Perhaps she meant she's devoted in a relationship. Maybe she meant that and wasn't aware of the connotation? I don't know. Just asking.

=======================================================================================

How long have you known her? What has your relationship been with her? Do you feel comfortable with her? Do you like her? Are you attracted to her personality? Are you attracted to her looks? These are things I think you should ask yourself. Don't post the answers, unless you want to. Just mull these things over a bit. Also, did she mean clingy or devoted? What did she mean?

These are all rhetorical questions. I don't expect you to answer them online.

I only suggest you consider all these things together while thinking on the words clingy vs. devoted. Don't get to concerned with dictionary definitions because that might not be how she meant it. Perhaps you should ask her how she meant it? Perhaps ask for an example of what she thinks is clingy behavior.

It doesn't matter what the dictionary or 3rd parties say. What matters is how she meant it and how you feel about it.

It should be stated however that one can be devoted while managing to not be clingy.

As always, the RedQueen is wise and correct.

However, in this case, we don't really know how she meant it, nor do we know how he feels about it. That's something they need to work out between themselves.

In a sense, this is something each couple has to work out as part of building a relationship so they can both learn what the other wants and is comfortable with. Would you agree?

It is appropriate and thereforeeee understandable for a child to cling to its mother, i.e. for safety and guidance, but for an adult to cling to his/her partner is an entirely different issue, in my opinion it is indicative of a previously experienced insecure attachment, i.e. the fear of abandonment may manisfest itself as clingy behavior.