Upset with supervisor; what should I do?

Hi guys,

I need some advice regarding work.

I've been working at a place for a few months now. I love working there, great pay, and get along great with coworkers. But here's the problem:

Hourly workers have to input their hours into a computer system every week. The hours for the previous week are approved on the following Monday afternoon. To make sure my supervisor approves my hours, I input them on Fridays and send him an e-mail telling him they've been entered (so that he doesn't forget). Unfortunately, this doesn't always work. For some weeks he approves them on time, but for others he apparently forgets. I have a way of seeing in the system if he's approved them or not (not sure if he's aware of that).

If he doesn't approve them on time, he can still approve them the day after, but when pay day comes around, I only receive one payment (for the previous week) as opposed to two for two weeks (as I should). That pushes the week that wasn't approved on time to the NEXT pay day. A few weeks back, I was having this problem and wondered why I was only getting one. My supervisor acted clueless about it but I'm pretty sure he knew he forgot to approve the hours on time. Of course, he won't tell me the truth because it's going to make him look really bad and irresponsible.

It seems like in many companies, supervisors don't give part-timers that much importance, or as much. My supervisor treats me well and commends me on a "job well done" here and there, but I think it's not right for him to forget. The problem seems to happen most when there are holidays (I think last time it happened around Presidents Day, which was on a Monday) and now it happened once again (Memorial Day). On holidays/off days that land on Mondays, supervisors are expected to approve the week before but apparently my supervisor is so accustomed to doing it Monday that he forgets.

This is starting to get a bit annoying. Has anyone encountered something similar? Any opinions/suggested welcome

I would talk to him very civilly about this, but in a direct manner. Explain to him the obvious: in order to pay your bills on time, you have to get paid on time.

To be honest, it is very irresponsible of your manager to take such a cavalier approach to handling his employees' paychecks. I wonder how he would like it if that was done to him!

At any rate, if it happens again after your talk, you should speak with Human Resources. This really isn't acceptable, or probably legal, of your manager to do.

I suggest you contact your Human Resources or Payroll department. They will get on the ball with it more than your supervisor will. However, they should be contacting him already to make sure he has it done on time.