When is too old to old?

ElektraHere

What is your take on when its too late to follow past dreams? Lately I have been thinking of doing something I thought of in my 20's. However, you hear everybody say "start a 401k," "buy a house," "ground yourself." I want stability sure but I also want to follow some dreams I let go by the wayside.

Opinions or thoughts?

What is your take on when its too late to follow past dreams? Lately I have been thinking of doing something I thought of in my 20's. However, you hear everybody say "start a 401k," "buy a house," "ground yourself." I want stability sure but I also want to follow some dreams I let go by the wayside.

Opinions or thoughts?

What is it that you want to do?

I don't know. I'm about your age, and I understand your query. I have a hard time being too tied down, so what to do? About a year ago I finally decided to go ahead and build a house, and it has already appreciated about 29K. In a year! So the house thing is a good idea. The commitment of it, though, was very scary, I got really freaked out as it was getting completed. But no need to feel tied down. I've got a friend who's a real estate agent, and I'm ready to sell anytime I want to.

Does your employer offer 401K? Are you vested? Hey life can only be lived once. Try a little of both, plan financially as best you can, but also be willing to follow your heart if it takes you elsewhere. What are your dreams? More info, please.

Ok its might be easier said than done. I am not sure what of your nationality, I will assume it is not EU. You would be looking at having to get a visa to stay longer than 3 months in the EU, and a special visa to work there. Language would definitely be a barrier as Parisiens are not the most understanding when it comes to not knowing their language, at least from what I have heard. What about an extended holiday say for 3 months around France?

Give some more info if you can such as nationality, would you be able to transfer with work, what other info that may be pertinent to moving to another country.

I would love to move to Paris. Learn the language, soak in the history, do as the French do. I have always wanted to do that before I have a family.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I used to live in Europe and didn't want to leave there, and anytime someone talks about it it just makes me remember, and makes me kind of sad cause I wanted to go back for so long. I think if you have the opportunity, you should definitely try it. Have you ever been there? I love it there. Do you have any idea how you might support yourself there? If you could have a job, and a place to stay...perhaps you could earn a gainful living there....

Ok its might be easier said than done. I am not sure what of your nationality, I will assume it is not EU. You would be looking at having to get a visa to stay longer than 3 months in the EU, and a special visa to work there. Language would definitely be a barrier as Parisiens are not the most understanding when it comes to not knowing their language, at least from what I have heard. What about an extended holiday say for 3 months around France?

Give some more info if you can such as nationality, would you be able to transfer with work, what other info that may be pertinent to moving to another country.

Yeah, I was wondering about the visa status, too...

I am American, took French in H.S. but that would not help me over there, I am not vested in my job, I could not transfer my job. I have heard of people doing it and I just have never had the chutzpah to do it. I would need to brush up on some French, get a passport and visa. I couldnt just drop everything I would have to plan it. As for buying or building a house where I live that is just NOT financially possible. It would be cheaper to go to Europe if you can believe that.

Never been to Europe or out of the US. I am just coming to the point where i am tired of letting life pass me by waiting for "Mr Right" to come along. I have wasted too many years. Its time to do things for me. If Paris didnt work out there are many places that are on my list

Yeah, I was wondering about the visa status, too...

Well for people under 30 and from certain countries there are often reciprocal agreements that allow for a 1 year workign holiday visa to be issued. This allows the applicant to work for part of the year, sometimes the whole year and to travel and live in the country. Its something I recommend to people who are not sure what they want to do in life as it presents a fantasatic opportunity to do what Elektra is wanting.

As for people over the age of 30 the only options are:

1) If you have parents form a country you can apply for citizenship to the brith country of your parents. this can be very time consuming especially these days. In teh case of the EU if you have a passport for one country you can live and work in any EU country ie if you have a british passport you can work in france, spain, germany wherever in the EU.

2) Through a work transfer. Ie if your company has offices in another country you may be able to transfer. However you sometimes have to know the native language to the coutry you want to go to. And of course they must be able to fill your postion. Countries also tend to be very protective about higher end job if you are applying and not transferring, the rule in teh EU is the position must not be able to be filled by a resident of the country the job is in and no other EU national (someone) from another EU country) can fill the job. So it is a daunting task.

3) Marry someone from the country you want to live in. Well maybe not the easiest way out.

Never been to Europe or out of the US. I am just coming to the point where i am tired of letting life pass me by waiting for "Mr Right" to come along. I have wasted too many years. Its time to do things for me. If Paris didnt work out there are many places that are on my list

Geez, I hear you! I wish you were a pal of mine, because I might consider coming along with you!

I am American, took French in H.S. but that would not help me over there, I am not vested in my job, I could not transfer my job. I have heard of people doing it and I just have never had the chutzpah to do it. I would need to brush up on some French, get a passport and visa. I couldnt just drop everything I would have to plan it. As for buying or building a house where I live that is just financially possible. It would be cheaper to go to Europe if you can believe that.

I dont know where you live in the US, but I would be willing to put all my life saving which is nil because I went travelling for a while, but Paris is more than likely more expensive than anywhere in North America. Europe in general, well West Europe, is very very expensive.

I am American, took French in H.S. but that would not help me over there, I am not vested in my job, I could not transfer my job. I have heard of people doing it and I just have never had the chutzpah to do it. I would need to brush up on some French, get a passport and visa. I couldnt just drop everything I would have to plan it. As for buying or building a house where I live that is just financially possible. It would be cheaper to go to Europe if you can believe that.

Yeah.. I've got the ability to transfer too, and yes, it can be easier said than done. Do you have any job prospects in mind over there? If you can do it...maybe you should.

Boy Tyler you can put a damper on a 33 year old dreamer ;-)

Even just an extended vacation of a few months? Who knows its just things I am listing out and seeing if I can still do them. I guess there is always Toronto ;-) lol

Yeah, Toronto is nice, but it's not Europe. If you really want to go, maybe that's exactly what you should consider....a long vacation....get a loan....I bet you'd have a lot of fun...

I have a friend who is a trumpet player and he was telling me he wanted to go over and "busk" in Amsterdam. Busking for those who don't know is playing music for $$$. He is the one who kind of fertilized the seed that has been dormant for too long. As for the $$$ I would have to plan that out for sure. I could have a major "Following my Dreams Sale." Sell my furniture, car, save some dough from my job now. Life is full of possibilities huh?!

Boy Tyler you can put a damper on a 33 year old dreamer ;-)

Even just an extended vacation of a few months? Who knows its just things I am listing out and seeing if I can still do them. I guess there is always Toronto ;-) lol

Only Try to put a bit of perspective on it. It snot impossible but its not somethign you can just walk into. Who knows maybe you will get lucky. i only speak from my own experience which is travelling for 4 year and living in 3 other countries other than my home country. And remember the novelty might wear of. Sure Europe is great but there are a lot of negatives to living there as well.

And get that silly idea of Toronto outta your head. Vancouver is much much better.

Its not set in stone its just putting the idea out there. And yes Vancouver is Awesome! I live south of the border from you in Seattle. Love Love Love Vancouver.

Seattle's cool. Better pubs there. Might head down there this weekend to see a friend. And you're right nothing is set in stone, and it is easier when you are not burdened by debt, and houses and etc..... I made the choice when I finished uni I could have goen into the career path but I knew I had to do it. Now I have to play catch up, thats my trade off.

I just had to jump in here. I'm only 18 so I don't know much of anything about buying houses/401 Ks and the like.

But I am a native of Paris - my father is French and I was born there and lived there for most of my childhood. I am absolutely head over heels in love with my home "town". I'm not too sure about the Visa, but I think it's certainly a lot easier to get a French visa than an American one.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the French are pretty welcoming to tourists. And most of them do speak English. You CAN also live cheaply in Paris - if you are willing to forgo some comfort - there are little rooms in the top stories of appartment buildings (so-called "chambres de bonnes") that have common bathrooms and kitchens, or you can rent a small studio. You are older, but when my mother was about 22 she worked as a nanny/household helper (for a 15 year old girl), and thereforeeee got free room and board, so if that's something you're interested in, it's an easy way to deal with the housing situation. In the couple she worked for, the husband was/is a very famous author, and so she was lucky enough to meet quite a few people when they would have parties and so on.

I think it might be challenging, but as someone absolutely gaga over Paris I would tell you to go!

I did the expatriate thing and lived in Europe in my 20s. While it was fun at first, after a while it was very expensive financially in terms of cost of living differential as compared to living in the US (not a knock on Europe, just a statement of the relative costs of living) and I had a well-paying job at the time. In a very real sense, when you're there you're treading water financially because of the higher costs, the higher taxes and the fact that you're probably spending more money on things like travel and so forth than you otherwise would. In a way, I'm glad I got the wanderlust out of my system in my 20s. I would never do the expatriate thing again, even if I did not have a child, due to the financial cost of doing it.

At your age, it may make more sense to look into a sabbatical type of thing ... maybe a month or 6 weeks in Paris? Trying to do it for a year or two could really set you back financially, and it's not a great time in life for that to happen. I'm not saying you should forget about it and buy a house, but seriously in your 30s it is a time when you should seriously begin to save for later in life, and a year or two in Europe will hurt you financially, even if you are making good money while you are there (which I was fortunate enough to do because I was working for the same company I was working for here).

Good luck in what you decide to do.