proper autopsy and embalming procedures

Well, I have a friend who has some questions about autopsy and embalming procedures. In general, his cousin died a while back and he just recently received access to the autopsy report. Within the document, he found that embalming was done on his cousin before they did the autopsy. Currently, he's questioning whether the results of the autopsy were in any way affected by the embalming process.

Is it proper to embalm a deceased body before or after an autopsy? Would anyone know if embalming before an autopsy can affect the results? Should someone reply, would you mind stating your reasons? I'd like to help console my friend's mind with answers to these questions. Thank you in advance!

~aweNwonder~

Embalming replaces the blood with formaldehyde and pretty much flushes the body's major vessels. Results of blood tests would be effected if the sample was post embalming, most forensic pathology is done before the mortician even sees the body, though. Bruising wouldn't be as easy to see, but tissue damage and trauma should still be evident.

Embalming procedures are usually state regulated, so you should look up the laws online and see what your state requires.