how to loose weight the right way

im really confused.....

I have been researching on how to loose weight, stuff on calorie intake etc but im getting mixed messages.........I have read that counting your calories wont work as your metabolic rate drops when u loose weight, BUT if i am aware of this and continuously check on how many calories i should be havin in regards to my weight loss would i be ok??? i also keep a check on my fat intake

If i stck to 1400-1500 calories n excerside 5 times a week doin full cardio at the gym should i be ok or what???

i have made an appt to see a dietician but its not for 2 weeks so i was hoping for some advice now.........if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.......

im scared that even if i lower my calorie intake to 1400-1500 and excercise i wont loose weight.......i want to loose about half a kilo to a kilo a week...........

also how much of my diet should be protein?

can anyone help???

You know what? I've always been thin, my whole life. It drives people nuts, that's for sure, because I eat all the time. I eat fast food, candy, whatever. Well, finally when I got to about 34 years old things started catching up with me and I started gaining weight. After a while, I realized what had happened to me - I stopped eating lunch at a new job, so I would only eat dinner. Yeah, one meal a day. And it was a big meal, of course.

I did some research and basically found out that I had made my body go into "starvation mode" by eating only once a day, especially since I ate right before I went to sleep. What would happen was that my body would store as much as possible as fat.

So what did I do? Well, simply started eating again. I may not always be able to catch lunch, but I keep a variety of snacks at work now. I bring fruit in with me, and have healthy snack bars. I also drinks lots of water instead of the soda I used to drink.

Guess what? Yeah, the weight is back to normal in just a few months.

Then I found this work out book (a friend recommended it to me) that basically says the same thing:

link removed

They advocate six meals a day simply by eating a little more healthy, and eating something reasonable *between* meals.

If you eat more often, and smaller portions, your body can digest the food without having to store it as fat, it comes out of starvation mode, and you end up being thinner. If you combine it with weight and cardio you can speed the process up.

There's a LOT more to it, so poke around that site. The other site I researched was link removed, which is based off the same book, but designed for thin guys to gain weight. If you read how to GAIN weight, maybe you can recognize what you are doing that is the same and change it.

Well of course as you lose weight your rate will drop - because basically you require less calories to function and move as you would if you weighed more. For example, most "calories burned" for exercises are based on a certain weight (ie 135 lb female) but if you weigh more you will burn more, if you weigh less, burn less. But proportionally that works out fine.

You should definitely count your calories and keep a food and exercise journal as you embark on this, to not only see what you are REALLY taking in (that handful of chips from your friends bag of Dorito's counts too!) but also is motivation. The main thing though really should be to choose the RIGHT calories aka the RIGHT foods - meaning healthier, nutritive foods...not junk. You need to look at it as fuel, and you need to see it as a LIFESTYLE, not a diet...you have to be able to live with it. You will get a lot further on a 200 cal bowl of oatmeal plus a 90 cal apple then you would on a 450 calorie muffin.

You should make sure you have about a 500 calorie deficit per day to lose 1 pound a week (3500 calories). The easiest way to do this is to reduce your calories by 250, and up your exercise by another 250 - giving you that 500 deficit.

1400 is probably actually maybe too low for you, it depends on your current height/weight and fitness level - as eating too FEW can cause you to slow your metabolism and hold on to more weight and so not lose weight. Also, eating too few calories can also mean you are missing nutrients and important minerals (especially for menstruating women, it is easier to suffer iron defiencies and bone loss). I suggest it is is best you talk to a nutritionist about a healthy eating plan for you.

I suggest that along with your cardio you also do weight bearing exercises 3-4 times a week too - building some muscle will not make you "bulky" but it will increase your metabolism (muscle burns more calories then fat and takes up less space!), it will tone you up and strengthen your bones (preventing osteoporisis) and help you towards your goals.

Well, I'm losing weight. Have to get rid of 40 pounds I gained during the 4 years I wasted with my ex-girlfriend...

Basically I eat, a lot less, about 1200-1500 calories a day, on like 5 "meals" (more like snacks), and do cardio 3 times a week. There is simply no magic on losing weight.

the simple answer is eat less fattening foods and do more exercise!

DO NOT COUNT CALORIES!!!! you will end up gaining weight in the long-run.

if you can't resist being calorie-conscious, then you should be consuming at least 2,000 daily (for grown women) + take regular exercise.

cut out all refined carbs, boost your protein intake + drink LOTS of water and green or nettle tea. snack on unsalted, raw nuts (not cashews!) and you will lose weight. your goal should be to re-educate yourself about food and choose a healthy eating plan you can follow for life, not some quick-fix diet that will mess up your metabolism.

good luck

I'd also add to the above advice, just living life is the best form of exercise. For example, just going out and doing more, like socializing/shopping etc can add up to a massive difference, as can the little things. For example..I used to do *sit down* subjects in college - biology, chemistry, art history, psychology. When I changed to include Drama and Art, being more practical (but not *exercising*), I think it made me lose a few pounds. What Im trying to say is, apart from exercise, add more activity into your day somehow..all the classic stuff like *take the stairs not the elevator*, etc.

oh, PS, sorry - assumed you were female!! calorie intake for men is 2,500-3,000 daily.

you should find it easy to lose weight, just concentrate on building/improving muscle tone (muscle eats fat) to tone and lean your physique, tho bear in mind it weighs more than fat so the scales will show you're 'heavier'. (tho i recommend not bothering with scales - base weight-loss on the inches you lose overall and how your clothes fit/feel).

Seren,

This is the most unsophisticated response you'll get regarding losing weight: eat relatively healthy (cheat at times), run your butt off several times each week and don't ever eat fast food or fried foods.

My coworker lost 70 lbs in 3 months (he was 300+ lbs) and he decided to make a change in his life. He cold turkey quit fast food, quit soda, started eating smaller meals, and most importantly running his butt off in the gym. Now, he's running 3 - 5 miles a day and his body keeps getting more and more fit. If he can do it, anyone can. Bottom line: he busts his butt running and has a relatively discipline diet.

A good way to eat is to moderate. Don't entirely cut out carbs, but switch to whole grain breads and limit your portions. Fruits that are starchy (like bananas) also have lots of carbs, so stick to eating nuts and berries for snacks. Low or nonfat yogurt is a good wya to go for snacks. Drink lots of water. Make about 80% of your meals about protein -- chicken, eggs, etc.. and have lean meats for lunch, like a turkey sandwhich. Counting calories is OK but you also have to look at fat or carb content in foods.. Also when cooking, go light on the oils, they are high in calories.

Sorry for the spiel

I never went on a diet, and never was carb conscious. Right after I found out I was pregnant, I cut out all the junk from my life. Soda is a really big one. I eat alot healthier, get rid of the chips, stuff that is just dripping with grease and you know is bad for you. I still eat this stuff just only 1ce or 2ce a month. Soda is really hard to quit especially if you don't like flavored waters or juices, so I end up with a glass of soda once to twice a week. And lately I have been eating a box of candy over the extent of a week. My boyfriend noticed, as well as my doctor, that I lost alot of weight before I starting gaining my baby weight. I am 5months pregnant and I now weigh as much as I did before I got pregnant!

Moral of the story, now my boyfriend is following my plan, I told him to stop drinking soda, cut it to water, juice, and milk. You can still eat good homecooked meals (if they have time to be made) just try not to stop by McDonalds anytime soon. (That was also a hard thing to do but it helped that being pregnant I can't stomach a quarter pounder anymore! lol) Oh and the other thing I do is walk alot, and my boyfriend does too. He's already starting to lose weight and he's amazed because he's tried those weird calorie diets and things. The problem is they don't let you indulge on the candy or anything, you have to let yourself indulge sometime.

Sorry it's not all scientific with numbers and everything, but that's the best advice I got lol.

While I agree with the healthier options you suggested fishr....I would disagree with 80% protein at meals! That is pretty bad for you (ie your liver), and also would mean you are probably depleting yourself of other nutrients!

Especially if you are physically active - athletes for example should consume 50-60% of their calories in carbs (healthier ones of course). And as you can see, they are not overweight. It is about making the right choices, and carbs give you the long sustaining energy you need - they fuel your muscles AND are literally 'brain food'. Without them your brain gets foggy, and you start running low on energy reserves.

Not all carbs are created equal and they ARE important.

I really suggest to the original poster you talk to a nutritionist. Also, take a look for a copy of Canada's Food Guide - it's a pretty basic idea of what a healthy diet consists of - including servings and how the proportions work for good health and a healthy body weight.

Also, take a look for a copy of Canada's Food Guide - it's a pretty basic idea of what a healthy diet consists of - including servings and how the proportions work for good health and a healthy body weight.

Are you saying that us Americans are fat?

You're right!

all awesome replies........

thankyou so much

i have just cut out all take away, junk and sodas and am being more conscious about the calories fat and sugars in my food.......

im not depriving myself of all things i just am more conscious n balance it out but absolutely no junk fast food etc

i also haved joined a gym n have been goin 4 times a week altho only 3 last week (eek) haha but aim for 4-5 times a week

ummmmmmmm one of the posters i think it was lgirl can you tell me why counting claories will make me fat???? n why i shouldnt?

dont i need to atleast be aware of them??

but everyone thanks so much for ur replies

A food journal is actually a good idea because it keeps you more "on track" and allows you to be really aware. Those whom keep food journals tend to be more honest about their eating, and stick to it as they have "proof" and a record of it. It also allows you to get on top of changes and see how they work out.

I don't think it's a BAD idea, it's often recommended, I only see it being bad if you were drastically limiting your calories and being obsessive about it. After a few week sor months, you won't really need to use it anymore as you will have a pretty good idea of how much you need/don't.

I would even recommend you keep one for a couple weeks before going to see that dietician so you can SHOW them what you are eating rather then try to remember! They may often ask you to start one anyway, but it would help to be proactive and bring it to them so they can make any changes or adjustments.

counting calories will make you fat b/c you become obsessed by the total calories you consume, which is unhealthy in itself. but it also makes you gain weight b/c the majority of people on calorie-controlled diets end up binge-eating. the most common cause is that they are trying to stick to a daily total that is too low - typically many women try to lose weight on 1,000 calories a day, which is not enough (a woman's daily requirement is at least 2,000, depending on height etc). when you don't eat enough, the body goes into starvation mode and holds onto any available fat. also 4-6 weeks after starting a 1,000 calorie diet you will hit a plateau and be unable to shift any more weight. the only way to lose weight will be to reduce calories again. this is how a lot of women end up starving themselves on 500 calories a day. b/c they can't naturally maintain this, many will go on to starve themselves and not eat at all. either way it causes most dieters to end up bingeing when they go just 20 calories over their self-imposed intake. also once you start to control your diet this way, you have to stay on it for the rest of your life.

so my long-winded answer is basically saying that following calorie-controlled diets leads to an unhealthy r/shp with food and yr body, it more often than not leads to binge eating and can trigger bulimia. in the long term you put on more weight than you lose - just look at all those Weight Watchers 'success' stories. 2 years later, they've not only put back on the weight they lost, but in most cases end up weighing more than when they started the diet.

don't bother with calories or food portions. eat healthily and well and avoid junk, processed and refined foods (+ take follow all our advice)and you will lose weight easily and naturally - and you will keep it off!

i also haved joined a gym n have been goin 4 times a week altho only 3 last week (eek) haha but aim for 4-5 times a week

Be careful about too much exercise. If you overdo it, you will burn yourself out. A few years ago when I started really working out, I used to go almost every day. Then I would miss a day, and feel guilty, go the next day and do a less intense workout, then miss another day, and start to give up, because if you already missed two days, you've screwed yourself, right? Wrong.

Start moderately and make it a part of your life. Better to work out 3 times a week, commit to it fully. The vast majority of people don't enjoy working out (they enjoy the benefits of working out) but if you force yourself on the treadmill every day, you will come to loathe the thing. The idea is to tolerate.

On the w/e, I met a chick while I was out in the city in a club, and she told me and my friend that she was celebrating and well, we asked her what she was celebrating, and she told us that in a year, she went form 94kilos to 46kilos. her doctor had given her a test and it came out that her weight was mostly fat, barely any muscle. So she started eating as healthy as she could, starting running every morning, then she told us that she had done a little research, and then she removed all the gluten form her diet, and she started losing weight faster. Could this actually help? or could it just be that her body had started to get used to the healthy foods and stuff?? i want to try it if it does work.

Ta