Marketing misstep - wrong job, wrong people...

*Ugh*

I've been trying to find a simple part-time job to make some money on the side and get my foot in the work industry.

I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong places, but the majority of jobs I find always seem to require years of experience and specific skills.

In other words, I have trouble finding simple entry-level work - it's like the first rung of the ladder is missing just for me.

But I applied for a sales/promotion position with my very short resume (primarily contact details) and they responded and called me in. Now I've had no experience with work, nor did I know exactly what this job entailed, but I didn't want to miss any opportunities. The ad just looked fairly inviting, since they advised that full training would be provided so I hoped to get some skills in the system.

The interview went alright and I was called back for an evaluation day. It was then that I realised the job involved being a door-to-door salesman!

Well my heart sunk, but unfortunately I'm not the kind of person to immediately stand up and say what's on my mind, so I let it be and played it like I didn't mind.

I was then accepted in and called back for a training day, where I was taught the campaign I'd be doing. I was already regretting this, but still, I didn't take any action (I felt I was already too far in).

Then the first day came and I really didn't enjoy it, but I didn't really show any unhappiness. I was taken with a group to a designated area to begin the door-to-door campaign. It's hard for me to express myself in opposition, especially amongst a group of people who'd beunanimously against me. I guess I don't want to risk being in a bad spotlight.

The day was very long, and very tiring, which I did not like one bit. The area had no food outlets, so I couldn't have lunch and customer dealings were boring and exhausting. To top it off, all the employees smoked and I don't. Gatherings were both dull and enervating for me.

It was such an awkward experience and I just felt like a fish out of water, doing something I didn't like and being around people I didn't fit in with. The latter is a problem that plagues me a lot - I almost never find the "right" people with which I can build an effective friendship/relationship with. I only have a few good friends, because so many people are just too incompatible with me.

The employees had traditions back at the office which were great for them, but just completely new and uninviting to me. The employees couldn't be more different, I could only get by with quick, basic banter.

I got back very late and unhappy and did not want to continue at all, so I wrote out why I felt the job is unsuitable (based on schedule) and immediately told my supervisor the next morning. The wheels were in motion. I had to come in to confirm in person with the manager and I basically said the same thing, calmly and apologetically. The manager was none-to-pleased about it and said I should've known whether I wanted the job or not and that I've wasted their time. In fact, I think he thought I was BS'ing. (In actuality, I was never given the option to take or leave the opening and think about it, I was just given an opening right off). It was an upsetting conversation for me and after leaving, I was left with low self-esteem for pretty much the rest of the day.

The frustrating thing is that I have this impulse where I keep playing the conversation in my head over and over to see how I could've handled it better.

I just needed to get this out of me, since it's my first time experiencing a job and quitting after just one day. Talk about a bad start. The whole thing was so discomfiting, particular the final talk with the manager, so it left me really disappointed with the job, how I handled the situation and how it ended.

I'm gonna be extra careful and critical when I look at job ads now. And I hope that for once, I'll meet people whom I actually like being around.

Comments/advice/similar situations welcome...

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. Even after you thought it wasn't something you wanted to do, you still gave it a shot. Don't let your ex-employer make you feel bad or not worthy. Sometimes you have to try alot of things before you find something you like. Good luck with your job search, I hope you find what you are looking for!

Yeah, I know it can take many attempts to get you want.

It's just that it was my first experience with a such a blunder and it makes me feel very down and out of my element, since I'm not used to it yet. Especially seeing as how the whole thing was my own doing, and I could have avoided it all by just denying the first callback.

It's just a natural reaction which I can't suppress, so I had to get it out of me.

But thanks for the supportive comments, because that's what I need.

Sounds like a job that I applied for, but did not accept.

The company called me to tell me that they wanted me back for the all day interview. By the time I got home from the interview and when they called me I have made up my mind that I did not want the job as I am not a door to door sellman. When they called me I just told them that I did not want the job, almost straight up, and they said "ok" and that was it.

It is ok to say "no" to a job offer. Just becuase you want/need a job doesn't mean you should take the job if you don't like it. There is a reason why you go to interviews, which lets you learn about the company and their business while they learn about who you are.

• 2 weeks later...

You should always find out exactly what the job entails before even the interview. Also...

Well my heart sunk, but unfortunately I'm not the kind of person to immediately stand up and say what's on my mind, so I let it be and played it like I didn't mind. :sad:

Always be able to stand up in these kind of situations. You now know what happens when you don't do so at times. You end up making the situation worse. So be careful in the future and know when to stand up for things like this.

Sorry to hear about what happened. Better luck in the future!

Yeah, it was my first time, so I was pretty naive and timid through it all.

I was waiting for the opportunity to accept or reject the offer, but it never happened, and I was simply given an opening after the evaluation day. After that, I had pretty much made up my mind, but I hesitated, and I guess I didn't think it would hurt to bide a few more times; perhaps they might've just forgotten to ask if I'd take the job. Didn't realise I was to be sent straight out with the door-to-door thing on the first day.

So after that, I finally decided to get out, since I now knew how it would be and that I did not like it at all. Just waited one or two steps longer than I should've.

I was hesitant a lot of the time and it only took small moments of indecision like that to miss a chance to pull out rather than be reeled in for more.

It's a learning experience, and I'll endure to be more critical now, especially with regards to exactly what a job entails. I guess I was just happy to get a response at the time, so I tried to go with it, regardless.