Flu and depression...

Cynder

So I posted here yesterday in personal growth about my feelings of depression lately. I am feeling better today, hopefully this good feeling lasts...

But I was talking to my Grandma earlier and I told her this started when I had the flu. Could being sick cause some chemical thing in the brain? I had a mild fever and was taking all kinds of medicine... (Nyquil, Sudifed, Green Tea, vitamin C, etc...)

Getting sick can cause temporary depression, as can taking lots of medicine for it. Sickness puts a drain on your immune system and body as a whole, which tires you out and is likely to make you moody and down. Also, anything that goes into your body, especially things designed to play around with your nervous or immune system, have the potential to cause temporary depression. Even the food you eat can have an effect on your mood.

The main causes of depression are inadequate amounts of dopamine or serotonin in your brain. Foods and drugs can affect this, by triggering the release of more of these chemicals, hindering the release of them, or affecting their production. Additionally, there have been studies that have linked depression and the immune system, based on the fact that people with chronic illness tend to have higher depression rates and those who are depressed tend to get sick more often. I don't really know the ins and outs of this, but if there is a connection, it is very likely that your flu triggered a temporary bout of depression.

Lucky for you, it seems to be only temporary.

I hope your good feelings last as well.