More than friends?

No, it is quite easy. Done it and had it done to me before. "I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same way about you as you do for me and I can't be friends with you."
I don't think I can do that. It's a bit harsh. I don't know why we can't be friends either, but I suppose he'll always want more.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Believe me... it's a lot less harsh than stringing someone along, even if you are doing it unintentionally, you are doing just that.

Nothing you say to this guy seems to be getting through to him and, from my own personaly experience, he's just going to keep trying until you cave or cut him off.

I don't think I can do that. It's a bit harsh. I don't know why we can't be friends either, but I suppose he'll always want more.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I agree with NJ. Seriously, I've been in a similar situation before. If you know that he's not going to be happy with just a friendship, I think that the kindest thing you can do is just cut off all contact.

Just say, "I don't think our relationship goals are compatible. I don't think we should continue a friendship."

You may think that you're being harsh, but it's even more harsh for you to string him along.

Just tell him so the poor guy can move on.