Online LIFE!!

Ok just a general question/opinion on this please!

1. What do you think about MySpace, Face Party, Hot or Not etc?

2. Once in a relationship with some comitment, is it ok to still use these sites?

Heres why I'm asking:

I am on all of these sites and they can be good fun. But once I start a new relationship I almost subconsciously think that it's best to stop using them as it is not fair on the other person.

Now I having been thinking about this hard and this is what I've come up with. I think it is an age thing. I don't see what the difference is between chatting to some random on these sites and talking with them in real life is. If I was in the pub and a random girl started talking to me one of the first things I'd say was "I have a girl friend" and usually that stops the conversation dead! On MySpace though that doesn't seem to put people off especially if they met you through a common interests channel.

My current girlfriend (who is 5 years younger than me) uses all of these sites too. She used them before we started going out and she still does use them. Personally I don't like it and she knows that but I can trust her. However, she does NOT think chatting online is at all the same as talking to somebody in real life.

I have concluded that as my teeange years were in the beginning of the internet, that online chatting means more. In my day we had Pay-as-you-go dial-up! The internet was SPECIAL and could only be used for short times. You didn't really organise your social life via IMs and email (there was no msn messenger for 1 thing!) and there was none of these dating/rate me/friends sites. I don't think that the internet is as special as it once was but it is still in a way. Younger people don't think it's special, they don't even take it for granted; it is a way of life!

(Please no comments on my girlfriends age and maturity levels!!)

Firstly, I'd just like to comment about your girlfriend's age and maturity levels...

Kidding.

1. What do you think about MySpace, Face Party, Hot or Not etc?

2. Once in a relationship with some comitment, is it ok to still use these sites?

Myspace - fine, to meet friends and post things about yourself. It can also be a kind of 'diary' to let you vent - which is good.

Face party - never heard of it.

Hot or not - controversial.

I don't like it. It's shallow.

2. Yes. As long as you are using them for the right reasons, and you are not attempting to find anyone else...

For myspace, I would advise showing that you are in a relationship.

I believe there is an option for that..?

Well... my ex met her new man on myspace, so I'm a bit biased towards that. By the same token, my ex hated the friends I had in Tmobile phone chat... didn't matter that they were just friends. I guess what I'm saying is the online life is fun but you need to be careful and make sure your partner doesn't feel threatened or second place to any of that.

MySpace, in my opinion, is a brilliant creation. Whilst there are some dodgy people on there, they are few. Generally, I find that people like it cos they get to communicate with people with similar interests etc. and, as said, can vent to them and that, without actually having to meet them. This often means people open up more to those they dont 'know' as they dont have to see them face to face the next day, saving embarasment and such.

When in a relationship its perfectly fine to use these sites, well MySpace at least. As said, Hot or Not is used by desperate shallow people, and should definitely not be used if youre in a relationship: you shouldnt need some random people on the internet to tell you if youre attractive if youve got a bf/gf to do that for you. But if you trust your gf, then you should be comfortable with her going on whatever sites she wants...

I personally have become friends with a girl via MySpace, that seems like it could go further, who lives near me and goes to my school etc, but who I was always originally to shy to approach. After talking on MySpace for a bit, meeting face to face was easy! Hehe.