She could be gone forever...

I saw your post on being introverted. I feel like you do in that regards. Not many friends, conservative in I don't like a party atmosphere, don't seem to meet people I relate to. It's hard at times and can get you down. I was fortunate to find someone who is eerily similar to me in all those regards, so its a big help when you find someone like that. And you will. It may take awhile, but you will. Remember, better to have just one or two people who really understand you then a bunch of "friends." And don't forget that you have people on this board who understand how you feel and are here to talk, including me.

As do I. About finding someone... i *may* have, but who knows.

You WILL get through this down time. You WILL see happier times, even if you dont think so, you WILL. Just have faith.

You WILL get through this down time. You WILL see happier times, even if you dont think so, you WILL. Just have faith.

Yep. Keep telling yourself this. It's true.

Dreg, I like your sig. Expression, pay attention to it. Believe in yourself, and there is no one stronger. Believe in yourself and you can do anything. You can get that job. You can meet a good friend who understands you. You can get with the job. You can get through the hard times. Faith is a powerful tool.

Great to hear from ya, SS and dregs

SS, I didn't get her number, otherwise I definitely would've contacted her by now. It's easier to chat online as we know; indirect, one can prepare their dialog, and there's no obligation to be exclusively devoted to the conversation. I intended it as a way to build confidence and carefree familiarity with her so that the next face-to-face meeting would be as comfortable as can be. The downside of course, is that she's not online much. As it stands, I hope I catch her online again.

I think I'm introverted but not shy, as described in a post in seagate's thread. A lot of my favorite hobbies are solitary. But with the right people, I can interact quite comfortably.

The last few years since I've left high school have kinda been like a reality check. My friends go to different campuses or colleges altogether and although we still maintain contact, it's definitely more sparse. And being in different places naturally influences and pulls everyone. In other words, I sometimes find that the great friends in high school whom I have much in common with, aren't as great as they were.

Not their fault of course; it's purely the new environment we're all in and the changed perceptions and attitudes we now have. Being elsewhere and doing other things have made the differences between them and I, more apparent. Trivial things then, have become big things. For these reasons, I sometimes feel out of my element amongst people who were once the best group to hang out with. We've grown apart really, although I'd never admit it.

This is what makes the one I've met all the more significant. She's all the things my friends aren't, and all the things I want in someone to talk to and hang out with. It's all there: the passiveness, conservatism and even stuff that my friend's will never fully empathize with, like upbringing and cultural idiosyncrasies (we're of similar background). It's amazing what I got out of that first meeting. With my friends all caught up in their separate endeavors nowadays, she would more than ably fill their void. Knowing this makes me want her more

I had a (international) friend during college who also mirrored me in many ways. He didn't particularly enjoy big groups much or large social get-togethers. But what's great for him is that he has a girlfriend who also shares his character. I remember when he told me about invites to parties, but that they'd both prefer just being at home together, rather than have the liberal night-life that was expected.

I thought about how wonderful it was for him and how he shouldn't care if others see him as introverted, since he has one person who's provides much more happiness than 10 others could...

Hey expression,

Time and experiences can place new light on things and people. College is when you are really growing and finding out who you are and where you want to end up, what you plan on doing with your life. It's natural that you may grow apart from old friends. I'm sure you will always care about your old friends, as they will care for you. But it won't be as close as it once was. That's just life.

However, you will meet new people. And even if it seems like there is no one who understands you, you will eventually come accross someone so similar it startles you. You may just have found her. So keep talking to her when you can. Don't get discouraged that you keep missing her, you'll get in touch and pick up where you left off. Otherwise, try and enjoy the things you like in life. Try to stay positive and believe in the good times you will surely have.

Merry New year.

Some of your other posts caught my eye, SS:

I'm short and skinny. I have glasses. Acne problems for years.

Not many friends, conservative in I don't like a party atmosphere, don't seem to meet people I relate to.

When I was 20 I spent Friday night, and pretty much every night alone at home. Still do.

I'd much rather wait until I'm 30 to get a girlfriend (purposely choosing an age far off too emphasize the point) and make sure that she is the right girlfriend with whom I want to spend my life with, then to just get a girlfriend because I am lonely and want a girlfriend.

That's all me - you must be a long lost twin, ShySoul

• 1 month later...

Well she recently came online after an absense of over 2 months (clearly not a frequent net user).

She initiated conversation after a while, but most probably because I replied to spam sent in her name. But at least this got her to add me to her contacts, because she had only been on mine prior.

I've discovered, naturally, that she finished her last semester successfully and is now involved in a postgraduate project - where I would've liked to be [in a perfect world] had it not been for my failure

That just reinforced that other people are going places and I feel like a sitting duck. My compensatory courses aren't going to begin for months, so it's quite a pain...

We didn't chat for long and there weren't any "developments" in any way. It has been over 2 months since we've communicated, and even longer since the last face-to-face meeting. It's safe to say that I'm just a guy from last semester whom she remembers but not much.

I would've liked to have a get-together to catch up, but now that I know she's back researching and working, it feels futile. And at this aimless point in my life, she should be the last of my priorities; (but the mind does what it does, unfortunately...)

It was nice to finally talk to her again, but the contrast between our activities and the shortness didn't make it very exciting...

Having another wave of dejection engulf me at the moment...

• 1 month later...

Well it's been quite some time.

A while back, I had decided to email her a drawing I did of animals she'd like, but I got no response. So I figured that the email I had was a dummy one that was of low priority.

Nevertheless, I finished another drawing a month later and tried again. This time I did get a response, albeit a short, quick one. She thought the drawing was cute and told me that she had in fact emailed me earlier, but it was rejected by the server.

I generally write long emails when I converse with my best friend, and it'd be like a regular journal update of our lives. But I said as little as possible, to keep with her style and just basically told her how I've been looking for work (very unsuccessfully, which makes 2006 pretty mundane and purposeless thus far) before ending with whether she's free to catch up some time.

She then told me how busy she's been with postgraduate work, but said I could drop by her faculty when I had the chance and we could go for lunch or something.

Despite months of little contact and no face-to-face contact, I'm glad I'll be able to see her again soon.

Whenever we meet up, I'll generally feel confident with keeping up a conversation. Except for the significant fact that I've achieved pretty much nothing since the start of the year, compared with her busy but comforting progress with postgraduate projects as well as work. I don't want to leave a bad impression, but this aspect leaves feeling me pretty ashamed and self-conscious, and I'm constantly wary of it...