Psychology or PR minor to complement Marketing

Double J

Hi everyone,

Recently I changed my major from accounting to marketing. I discovered that accounting was just not for me - I needed something that offered me a chance to be more creative. I'm also better at writing than math.

I'm considering getting a minor. But I'm not sure if I should get it in Psychology, or in Public Relations. I think psychology is one of the most fascinating subjects out there. I would love to blend in my Marketing major with Psychology to possibly pursue consumer behavior (behavioral psychology). I've also looked into Public Relations (because I love writing and it involves marketing), but I'm not sure which of these I should pursue. You also have to take job demand into account. I wish I could pursue, but that would be investing too much time and money - it would take me forever to graduate.

I'm open to any suggestions, and thanks

Well, PR and marketing seem to go hand in hand. So that's probably the combo I would choose. Have you considering speaking with a career counselor? You could always add a psych course to your work load if time and money permit.

Depending on your University's system and your own personal limit on work and finances, there are duel or double major and double minor on certain programs.

For myself, in Psychology majors, I know my school offers duel and double major opportunities and often recommended duel degrees OR double minors alongside of Psychology, and they compensate the credit levels and program requirements to obtain this combination within x amount of years.

Due to the amount of human interaction and communication levels, I'm assuming you could go either way. To be honest, if you haven't taken any Psychology courses you'll earn more in the way of Communication based minors. Psychology has a slow start. In Psychology you don't break all out into Human Analyzing and Communication (Communications programs do that from my personal experience) right away, it is a progressive task. Psychology you begin with the Biological basis of behavior, Conscious studies, Development, then proceed onto things such as Motivation and Behavioral studies. If you're really interested in Psychology it is worth the time and effort but if you want a quick satisfaction go with Public Relations or Communications program, or one similar. If you have taken Psychology courses already, you probably already know everything I've spoke about anyways.

As stated, you can and probably should speak with your advisor/counselor. They can give you the nitty gritty details on programs DOs and DONTs.