Career paths opened by a Major or a Doctorate in Philosophy?

Pholosphy is not the type of degree to seek if you are looking for money. I am majoring in philosophy (probably doctorate if I have money) but only because I wish to strech my mind and become as intelligent as possible. Jobs in the academe (university teacher, lecturer, possibly book writer, journal editor, etc) are the most probable. Don't become a philosopher if you're looking to become rich.

• 4 months later...
Pholosphy is not the type of degree to seek if you are looking for money. I am majoring in philosophy (probably doctorate if I have money) but only because I wish to strech my mind and become as intelligent as possible. Jobs in the academe (university teacher, lecturer, possibly book writer, journal editor, etc) are the most probable. Don't become a philosopher if you're looking to become rich.

Not necessarily.

I was actually thinking of doing a major or docter in philosophy as well, but doing it on a psychology angle...it can also be used in law, nursing...go to any university website and there is usually a list of career paths from the majors. Or google Careers- Philosophy Major

I am a linguist, and have a minor in Philosophy. I have just been accepted as junior researcher (phd in the states, but in Holland the system is very different, we have no gradschool and being phd is a job where you write a dissertation). It helps that I don't care about income as long as I can pay rent and food.

I worked in a very well paid job for exactly one month. Only to find out my heart couldn't be stopped. Follow your heart, if you think Philosophy is what you should do, go for it. I can ensure you it will enrich your mind, and even if you don't pursue an academic career, you can also get jobs because you have academic skills. As long as the job is also what you really WANT, it doesn't matter.

Ilse

I am a linguist, and have a minor in Philosophy. I have just been accepted as junior researcher (phd in the states, but in Holland the system is very different, we have no gradschool and being phd is a job where you write a dissertation).

Ilse, I have a background in linguistics, too.

Protex, I read once that the most successful law school applicants have undergrad degrees in philosophy. The logic classes and heavy mental lifting pay off on the LSAT, apparently.

Ilse, I have a background in linguistics, too.

Protex, I read once that the most successful law school applicants have undergrad degrees in philosophy. The logic classes and heavy mental lifting pay off on the LSAT, apparently.

I can see that! My undergrad was in Poli Sci/History - but with several philosophy classes thrown in there as well for kicks.....the LSAT does not have any philosophical questions per say - but plenty of logical reasoning in it. Also requires someone whom is able to read and comprehend a lot of text, and answer some specific questions about it easily...which philosophy studies can also help.

It definitely requires you to use parts of your brain that many might not so easily do, but studies in philosophy can help you channel that kind of thinking.

For the record, I did pretty well on it (though I did "study" for it too!)

Do what your heart says. But, yeah, if you're looking to become rich, it won't be as easy with Philosophy unless you get a masters degree or even a P.H.D.

I think most philosophy jobs involve teaching it. You can also use it to get into law if you're interested in that.