I've been feeling really depressed lately, which has gotten progressively worse over the last 2 years. I use to be able to deal so well with my life, the stress was not a problem anymore, but now it is just impossible. I keep on thinking of the past, the mistakes I've made, and I just get over them. This in turn, makes me mess up even more. Been trying to get myself together for a while, but sometimes, my confidence just fades and I feel like giving up. How can I learn to let things go, so they don't hinder my progress in the present?

A well-known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20.00 bill. In the room of 200, he asked, "Who would like this $20 bill?" Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this.

He proceeded to crumple up the $20 dollar bill. He then asked, "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air. Well, he replied, "What if I do this?" And he dropped it on the ground and started to grind it int! o the floor with his shoe.

He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?" Still the hands went into the air. My friends, we have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.

Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless. But no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value. Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who DO LOVE you. The worth of our lives comes not in what we do or who we know, but by WHO WE ARE and WHOSE WE ARE.

I felt like that for a long time so in some sort of way I can understand how you feel (of course no one can no exactly how you feel). In truth my happiness has come from giving up, being scared, speaking my mind, being compleatly honest, crying over stupid things and pointing out when I'm down.

These are all things that people hate! I stoped caring. Don't like me for who I am? Thats their problem. Stress is always a problem but you have to learn to deal with it in your own way that works for you. Everyone is different. I numb it out by doing things to improve my life. Going to college, learning another language, release stress through art. These are my ways of dealing with it, you can find your own too. Concentrate so hard on your hobbies and work that you forget the stress, it really does help you feel better.

GL,

~S.

I lost a job. I was a dishwasher for a small asian restaurant. I got fired after only 2 days of working. I think about it a lot. It's been 4 months. We dwell on the past to think about the mistakes we've done. It can be heart wrenching to make the same mistakes again. Yet somehow, we go on. That is all we can do. You may dwell on the mistakes you've done now, but don't worry. In time, we forget what has happened in the past and move on. All you have to do, is think only of the future. Good luck!

Reilly, the problem is you're not getting over issues from the past. You're carrying them around with you just like I have! I also started to self-harm!

I asked my G.P. for help and he referred me to a psychiatrist. This has helped me a lot. I now love myself, (which I hadn't done for a lot of years), I'm happier and have started to enjoy life. In a way it's like being re-born!

Don't get me wrong I still have some bad days, but before I never had any good ones!

Ask for professional help, you need it!

Good luck