Update about Descrimination at work

butterfly1990

Not too long ago I posted on here that I was experiencing work descrimination and feeling unsafe at work. I want to share that I reported it to my supervisor and he had my back 100%. I wrote my report and it was 9 pages of bad stuff. He was shocked and even got tearful. He will let my other supervisor know and he will talk to the group about respect and make them go through a training of unconscious bias.

My other supervisor will decide how to handle my colleagues. I know this won't resolve things 100%, but it's a start. All my life I've been bullied, severe abuse since a child, and never reported it nor got justice in a domestic violence relationship I was in years ago that nearly killed me...the man was a sociopath. I feel like reporting this at work will help with my healing and the start of me regaining my voice, inner power, and self-esteem or respect that was slowly stripped away from me for 4 years working at this place.

Although I think after making my report will help, I am still planning to quit. This workplace caused me trauma and I feel anger towards my colleagues. I believe the best way to heal is to remove myself from people that harmed me. I am having a hard time speaking to my colleagues and feel anxious around them. Their presence trigger me. I am also afraid of retaliation. Do you think quitting is a good decision? I believe so, but if you have any similar experiences of work bullying/descrimination and how you handled it, it would be helpful to hear 

Thank you for the advice I got here to report it and confirming it was not okay what I went through and that I deserve a safe workplace 🤍

• Like 3

Glad you are taking these steps!

You may want to give it some time, but ultimately I think you will end up quitting this job on your terms. Unfortunately unless one of these jerks gets fired they will just pretend with the training; so continue to be vigilant.

Keep writing when the mood strikes or you want to vent. Hoping the very best for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Coily said:

Glad you are taking these steps!

You may want to give it some time, but ultimately I think you will end up quitting this job on your terms. Unfortunately unless one of these jerks gets fired they will just pretend with the training; so continue to be vigilant.

Keep writing when the mood strikes or you want to vent. Hoping the very best for you!

Yes, I agree. Thank you 🤍

On 10/23/2024 at 7:04 AM, butterfly1990 said:

Do you think quitting is a good decision? I believe so, but if you have any similar experiences of work bullying/descrimination and how you handled it, it would be helpful to hear 

My best friend stayed in a job where she was repeatedly disrespected and early on had been bullied. They bullying lightened up, but she constantly not treated as a full member of the team. She was ultimately let go in a very disrespectful manner that broke her heart. 

Within a year she had developed a strain on her heart and needed an operation and weeks stay in a hospital. The stress caused by years of her work situation greatly contributed.

No job is worth the damage to your physical or emotional health. If you aren't happy at a place, there is nothing wrong with leaving.

Good for you, being able to stand up for yourself and refusing to take bad treatment from anyone else. Be proud of yourself and know you are strong. You made the right decision and took back some power for yourself. Keep it up.