Why one and not the other?

yogacat

17 hours ago, Seraphim said:

https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/where-are-diamonds-found-spotlight-canadian-diamonds/#:~:text=Canada is home to five,in Québec and Ontario%2C respectively.

Canada is home to 5 diamond mines and Russia is home to many as well. Not all diamonds are African in origin. 

Excellent article, thank you!

Not all the diamonds in the market bearing the name of GIA being attached to them are actually certified by this organization. Many of them are deceptively marketed or mislabeled as GIA certified or actually certified by a lesser or less credible grading entity.

Some of them bears GIA label, but very often, it has been sourced from zones of conflict and from other unethical mining practices. Canadian diamonds seems to be considered superior because they do possess some of the world's highest environmental standards. Albeit --- there is still a threat to local wildlife associated with diamond mining in Canada and its river systems.

9 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Excellent article, thank you!

Not all the diamonds in the market bearing the name of GIA being attached to them are actually certified by this organization. Many of them are deceptively marketed or mislabeled as GIA certified or actually certified by a lesser or less credible grading entity.

Some of them bears GIA label, but very often, it has been sourced from zones of conflict and from other unethical mining practices. Canadian diamonds seems to be considered superior because they do possess some of the world's highest environmental standards. Albeit --- there is still a threat to local wildlife associated with diamond mining in Canada and its river systems.

That exists with any mining . Canada has tons of natural resources of every kind . 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Seraphim said:

That exists with any mining . Canada has tons of natural resources of every kind . 

That's true.

I suppose I felt begrudged by my friend's initial comment about my PARTIAL support of driverless vehicles given my history with driving on highway phobia.

I was in a terrible accident when a tractor trailer ran me off the side of the highway and ever since I've had issues with highway driving.

So, I can see how it might be good for people like me and also because it would "hopefully" greatly reduce driving errors and accidents but of course there are the other ethical concerns with driverless vehicles.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

That's true.

I suppose I felt begrudged by my friend's initial comment about my PARTIAL support of driverless vehicles given my history with driving on highway phobia.

I was in a terrible accident when a tractor trailer ran me off the side of the highway and ever since I've had issues with highway driving.

So, I can see how it might be good for people like me and also because it would "hopefully" greatly reduce driving errors and accidents but of course there are the other ethical concerns with driverless vehicles.

I think the thing is everyone can’t see their own hypocrisy. It is a human thing . 

I am so sorry that happened to you . For me though I don’t want a car to drive for me . It terrifies me . I am a control freak. The only time I am not losing it when someone else drives is when it is my husband or myself . So a machine driving for me is a resounding,  no. 

• Like 1

My thoughts on this rather cumbersome topic:

People hating on Musk is part of ritualistic politics in America and beyond. It's silly, but that's the way of the world. So, I usually roll my eyes and silently dismiss people as dim.

Specifically about Tesla and Driver-less cars; there is part of it rooted in how new it all is and that rightfully terrifies some people. There are also people like myself, who find electric vehicles unwelcome and driver-less vehicles a threat.

Electric vehicles to me, could be fine if they didn't take 30 minutes or more to recharge after only 250-300 miles of driving. have questionable mining practices (like some diamonds), and generally are restrictive in mobility. Though what stands out most is this bizarre and fascistic notion that by 2030 some nations will mandate the electric car is the only consumer option.

Driver-less vehicles, follow along with the trend of safety technology, such as aggressive lane correction devices that steer against the driver's wishes. I have noticed a significant increase in poor driving skills across North America and Western Europe due to all of the bells and safety whistles. People are getting lazy and dependent, rather than looking after their own safety and that of those around them. As such, I see driver-less cars continuing that trend; thus becoming more of a threat on the highways.

What it comes down to as far as lithium mining and diamond mining is selective ethics, which I don't know of anyone living who isn't guilty of. Some women want that ostentatious rock on their finger as a status symbol. Where some people want that electric death trap as showing how "modern" and forward thinking they are.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coily said:

People hating on Musk is part of ritualistic politics in America and beyond. It's silly, but that's the way of the world. So, I usually roll my eyes and silently dismiss people as dim.

Specifically about Tesla and Driver-less cars; there is part of it rooted in how new it all is and that rightfully terrifies some people. There are also people like myself, who find electric vehicles unwelcome and driver-less vehicles a threat.

Electric vehicles to me, could be fine if they didn't take 30 minutes or more to recharge after only 250-300 miles of driving. have questionable mining practices (like some diamonds), and generally are restrictive in mobility. Though what stands out most is this bizarre and fascistic notion that by 2030 some nations will mandate the electric car is the only consumer option.

Driver-less vehicles, follow along with the trend of safety technology, such as aggressive lane correction devices that steer against the driver's wishes. I have noticed a significant increase in poor driving skills across North America and Western Europe due to all of the bells and safety whistles. People are getting lazy and dependent, rather than looking after their own safety and that of those around them. As such, I see driver-less cars continuing that trend; thus becoming more of a threat on the highways.

What it comes down to as far as lithium mining and diamond mining is selective ethics, which I don't know of anyone living who isn't guilty of. Some women want that ostentatious rock on their finger as a status symbol. Where some people want that electric death trap as showing how "modern" and forward thinking they are.

I have to agree, while I do admire Musk and a lot of his ideas I don’t want an electric car. The price tag is too much and the viability in a Canadian winter at -30C not so sure . Plus the fact you can only get so far. My truck has 1000 KM to a tank of gas and it doesn’t take 30 minutes to charge . It is also going to start in the winter . It makes more sense in cities but I live in a pretty rural area and I would rather not face freezing to death. 

Yes, machines make mistakes as do humans . And I would rather not be on the receiving end of it . I can drive for myself . We have enough things taking away our autonomy. 

Exactly, EVERYONE has consumed something that causes detrimental consequences for someone else or the planet. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Coily said:

Well, my bestie has her reasons for not respecting Musk so I want to be respectful of it but I also see driverless vehicles as potentially reducing accidents and creating more mobility for people with limited transportation means. Lithium mining can't be any more (or less) unethical than mining oil and gas to fuel combustion engines - in fact, it could be argued that it's less destructive to the environment and human health.

But of course, there are valid concerns about the impact of increased demand for lithium and other materials needed for electric vehicles. Overall, I think it's important to have conversations about these issues and find solutions that prioritize both ethics and progress.

As for Musk himself, while I don't agree with everything he says or does, I do think his efforts towards advancing sustainable energy and technology are admirable. Whether he is a genius or not, only time will tell. But I believe we should focus on the impact of his actions rather than just his personality. 

On 10/13/2024 at 12:42 PM, yogacat said:

"Aha, so you're supporting diamond mines and the exploitation of child laborers?"

Unless it's lab grown.

I won't shop at several stores because of their publicly shared stance.  If they just keep their mouth shut, great, no problem.

5 minutes ago, tattoobunnie said:

Unless it's lab grown.

I won't shop at several stores because of their publicly shared stance.  If they just keep their mouth shut, great, no problem.

A lot of stores here now you would be pressed to find organic stones and when you do the price is crazy. I see the need for lab grown stones but the colour is “ off” the colour is so fake looking unfortunately. I have lab grown sapphires and organic sapphires and you can completely tell the difference. 

• Like 1