Time Left Dinners

BeaTlesFan77

Happy Saturday!  Have any of you tried this new concept?  Each Wednesday, you can have dinner with five strangers who are picked based on an algorithm from a questionnaire.  I think it would be a great way to try new restaurants without having to go solo.  Along with breaking away from my usual and predictive going to the sports bar for half off certain entrees and not talking to anyone outside of the bartender.  

https://timeleft.com/ 

• Like 1

In addition to worrying about what to say to strangers, I have to worry about making a mess with the food as well? It's like they want to torture the socially anxious!

Guess if you're into meeting people and food, it's a perfect match. Though I wish the sight was easier to navigate. Might just be my laptop, but I'm trouble getting through the survey and just selecting where I'd like to dine.

And I'm guessing it's not a female bartender you are talking to? 😉

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

In addition to worrying about what to say to strangers, I have to worry about making a mess with the food as well? It's like they want to torture the socially anxious!

Guess if you're into meeting people and food, it's a perfect match. Though I wish the sight was easier to navigate. Might just be my laptop, but I'm trouble getting through the survey and just selecting where I'd like to dine.

And I'm guessing it's not a female bartender you are talking to? 😉

No, the bartender is a married woman who I have gotten to know pretty well over the past few years.  She shows me pictures of her children growing up every so often.  

10 minutes ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

No, the bartender is a married woman who I have gotten to know pretty well over the past few years.  She shows me pictures of her children growing up every so often.  

Darn, already taken. Was hoping there might have been someone hidding in plain sight for you. Well, at least you have a friend. 😄

Try the dinner meeting. At least you can get a nice meal out of it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Darn, already taken. Was hoping there might have been someone hidding in plain sight for you. Well, at least you have a friend. 😄

Try the dinner meeting. At least you can get a nice meal out of it.

Buy nice meal, I’m hoping it’s not one of these deals where you get a small and narrow piece of fish or meat with a small ball of mashed potatoes and two asparagus. Surrounded by different garnishes and colors to make it look like a full plate.  🤣

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Buy nice meal, I’m hoping it’s not one of these deals where you get a small and narrow piece of fish or meat with a small ball of mashed potatoes and two asparagus. Surrounded by different garnishes and colors to make it look like a full plate.  🤣

You mean "small plate" places where you pay more and eat less? So I have to talk to strangers in a place I'm not used to and feel ripped off all on an empty stomach? This isn't selling me on the concept.

Hopefully the meal will be good and filling. I'm hoping for Italian.

And what is the point of garnish anyway? It doesn't make it look more appetizing. I don't know anyone who ever eats it. It's decoration that gets ignored for the main course.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

You mean "small plate" places where you pay more and eat less? So I have to talk to strangers in a place I'm not used to and feel ripped off all on an empty stomach? This isn't selling me on the concept.

Hopefully the meal will be good and filling. I'm hoping for Italian.

And what is the point of garnish anyway? It doesn't make it look more appetizing. I don't know anyone who ever eats it. It's decoration that gets ignored for the main course.

Not when it comes to chocolate though. That’s one garnish that I have to eat.  You know how places like the cheese factory like to put chocolate swirls on the cheesecake plates. 

Italian sounds great, but I would like to have Asian of some kind. 

Yes, that’s exactly the kind of place I’m talking about. The whole plate looks more like a piece of art than something I would eat.  Then you are paying top dollar for it too.  

• Like 1

Many years ago there was a dinner club like that but not as fine tuned/techy. Maybe it was called Social Circle? Strangers gathered at a restaurant to meet for dinner -maybe they switched places at some point -I'm not remembering.  Anyway a friend of mine met his wife that way.

I think it sounds interesting too although after many years of enjoying dining out I just haven't in the last few years.  On a related note I recently heard about this in NYC:

NYC run clubs have become an oversaturated dating market – NBC New York

I love how creative you are about meeting people!  We dined at home today just my son and me as husband is traveling.  No algorithm.  I even briefly set off the highly sensitive smoke detector.  He enjoyed his tomato/mozzerella/herb omelet with toast and a side of fresh pears with vanilla yogurt - and ice cream for dessert.  Whenever I prepare that I realize these days that's likely a $20 meal including tip if you eat out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Not when it comes to chocolate though. That’s one garnish that I have to eat.  You know how places like the cheese factory like to put chocolate swirls on the cheesecake plates. 

I don't remember the last time I was at the CheeseCake Factory. Or the last time I ordered a desert. Wait, I guess the gelato counts. But I ate that as the meal and saved the rest for later. 😋

Okay, chocolate is the exception. And now I am booking a trip to the CheeseCake Factory. I do like Cheesecake.

I know I've heard this idea somewhere before. Hope it's fun for you if you try it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShySoul said:

I don't remember the last time I was at the CheeseCake Factory. Or the last time I ordered a desert. Wait, I guess the gelato counts. But I ate that as the meal and saved the rest for later. 😋

Okay, chocolate is the exception. And now I am booking a trip to the CheeseCake Factory. I do like Cheesecake.

I know I've heard this idea somewhere before. Hope it's fun for you if you try it.

I actually like it especially since they have lighter side dinners and then we can share the cheesecake which is fabulous.  Also love the higher end Grand Luxe Cafe.  I've gone to a lot more chain restaurants since becoming a mom.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShySoul said:

My favorite dessert was from a Mom and Pop Italian restaurant on the East Coast, they only had it made on certain days. It was a peanut butter chocolate pie cake. Ahhh so good~!

The Cheescake Factory in Redondo Beach, CA was super good. I went to a different one in California and the food was NOT. haha

PS. Get the Chocolate Tuxedo Cheesecake if you go!

Also, "Better Then Sex" if anyone likes desserts and wants to take their date on romantic night out (at select locations 😚😞

Date Night and Dessert in Key West | Better Than Sex (betterthansexdesserts.com)

@BeaTlesFan77that app looks interesting! 

"Time Left." Time left for what? To live? To eat? Also, who picks the restaurant? I guess it matches people with the restaurant they picked and personal demographics?

What if the bill ends up being like $500? 

Are you going to sign up? If you do, you must journal your experiences.🤩 

Interesting concept!!

BTS.4-1068x801.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

Also, "Better Then Sex" if anyone likes desserts and wants to take their date on romantic night out (at select locations

But what if the date gets jealous of the way I eye the food? That's a pretty big temptation to sit in front of someone. 😉

Beatlesfan, think you have to do this now. You're the test subject so the rest of can know if it's worth the try.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Many years ago there was a dinner club like that but not as fine tuned/techy. Maybe it was called Social Circle? Strangers gathered at a restaurant to meet for dinner -maybe they switched places at some point -I'm not remembering.  Anyway a friend of mine met his wife that way.

I think it sounds interesting too although after many years of enjoying dining out I just haven't in the last few years.  On a related note I recently heard about this in NYC:

NYC run clubs have become an oversaturated dating market – NBC New York

I love how creative you are about meeting people!  We dined at home today just my son and me as husband is traveling.  No algorithm.  I even briefly set off the highly sensitive smoke detector.  He enjoyed his tomato/mozzerella/herb omelet with toast and a side of fresh pears with vanilla yogurt - and ice cream for dessert.  Whenever I prepare that I realize these days that's likely a $20 meal including tip if you eat out.  

Funny how you mentioned the run clubs.  There was a local story about a month ago talking about how that's becoming one of the top ways to meet people in my neck of the woods.  If you like running out in the heat with the sunlight beaming on you and sweat pouring down your face, go for it.  You do you.  Sounds like suicide to me.  Especially in our summer forecasts.  

Sounds like you have some great bonding time with your son breaking omelets, bread, pairs, and yogurt.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShySoul said:

But what if the date gets jealous of the way I eye the food? That's a pretty big temptation to sit in front of someone. 😉

Beatlesfan, think you have to do this now. You're the test subject so the rest of can know if it's worth the try.

They might...

The artwork inside is pretty risque' too so you might be eyeing that too! Actually, I take that back, I forgot you're initially attracted to souls. 😚 j/k

And yes, Beatlefans, you must try! It sounds curious...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I actually like it especially since they have lighter side dinners and then we can share the cheesecake which is fabulous.  Also love the higher end Grand Luxe Cafe.  I've gone to a lot more chain restaurants since becoming a mom.  

Once again, funny you mentioned something.  In this case the Grand Luxe.  We had one of these in Scottsdale at one time at a high-end mall.  There was a Meetup I was in where we met weekly at a new restaurant.  I remember specifically not going to this one as the menu made my wallet cry just looking at it.  I ended up leaving the Meetup as well as each place on the calendar was getting more expensive.  Before I replied here, I checked their web site and they pulled out of AZ altogether.  I guess I wasn't the only one with a crying wallet.  😆

3 hours ago, yogacat said:

My favorite dessert was from a Mom and Pop Italian restaurant on the East Coast, they only had it made on certain days. It was a peanut butter chocolate pie cake. Ahhh so good~!

The Cheescake Factory in Redondo Beach, CA was super good. I went to a different one in California and the food was NOT. haha

PS. Get the Chocolate Tuxedo Cheesecake if you go!

Also, "Better Then Sex" if anyone likes desserts and wants to take their date on romantic night out (at select locations 😚😞

Date Night and Dessert in Key West | Better Than Sex (betterthansexdesserts.com)

@BeaTlesFan77that app looks interesting! 

"Time Left." Time left for what? To live? To eat? Also, who picks the restaurant? I guess it matches people with the restaurant they picked and personal demographics?

What if the bill ends up being like $500? 

Are you going to sign up? If you do, you must journal your experiences.🤩 

Interesting concept!!

BTS.4-1068x801.jpg

You had me at peanut butter chocolate pie cake!  Talk about mouthwatering.  

I'm thinking it's Time Left to enjoy life, great eating, and hopefully great company with interesting conversations.  Something like that, I need to do more research as far as what kinds of places they try and if the dinner comes with the price of the ticket.  Hopefully, it would be a package deal.  $500 is way too much for something like that.  

2 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Once I do more research on the whole event, possibly.  

51 minutes ago, yogacat said:

They might...

The artwork inside is pretty risque' too so you might be eyeing that too! Actually, I take that back, I forgot you're initially attracted to souls. 😚 j/k

Father originally was from Louisana. So might be a part of me attracted to soul... food. 

I do enjoy fore... um... wordplay. So I'm entertained by the names I'm seeing. I guess for my first time I have to pick the Pop My Cherry Cheesecake. But if I get comfortable I might explore a little Berry Bondage.  And since a lighter touch can be just as thrilling, might need someone to Caress My Carrot.

Once visited the Star Trek Experience that used to be in Vegas. I shared a desert with a female friend called an Oo-mox. That is a term used to describe rubbing a Ferengi's ear... which happens to be an erogenous zone for them. So I'm actually not a stranger to forbidden deserts. 

Between this post and watching Wonka last night, I think my sugar level is out of control and I haven't even ate any deserts yet. 

• Haha 1