Am i wrong for not checking his trash daily at work?

I clean offices Monday through Friday at a commercial building. There are two guys who rarely have trash in their offices the rest of them has trash everyday. So 2 weeks ago i asked the guys since they rarely have trash could i start taking their trash out Fridays instead of everyday since they barely have trash. They both agreed that they were okay with me taking their trash on Fridays because they don’t have much trash through out the week and agreed they were wasting food trash bags for a little bit of trash. 

One of the guys asked me yesterday “why don’t you check my trash throughout the week” and i told him “i asked you a few weeks ago to start taking your trash out on Fridays and you said you were fine with that” and he said “i said yeah to Fridays but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t check my trash throughout the week you could at least check while you are up here  then he said that i only do that to him purposefully not getting his trash “

I agree with the guy. Just because they typically don't have much trash doesn't mean they won't occasionally have more that need to be taken out before Friday. Sounds like your responsibilities include checking trash everyday so why skip theirs? If they have little trash then you can wait until Friday to take them out.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SophiaG said:

I agree with the guy. Just because they typically don't have much trash doesn't mean they won't occasionally have more that need to be taken out before Friday. Sounds like your responsibilities include checking trash everyday so why skip theirs? If they have little trash then you can wait until Friday to take them out.

Im not purposefully skipping theirs. I just started checking their on Fridays like they agreed

1 minute ago, HargY8890 said:

Im not purposefully skipping theirs. I just started checking their on Fridays like they agreed

That IS skipping theirs. They agreed you can take their trash out on Fridays, not that you can stop CHECKING if their bags are already full in the middle of the week.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SophiaG said:

That IS skipping theirs. They agreed you can take their trash out on Fridays, not that you can stop CHECKING if their bags are already full in the middle of the week.

Then agreeing to Fridays was silly if there is a possibility there might be more trash throughout the week. I’m doing what was asked which was to take their trash on Fridays. He could’ve easily said he wanted to go back to regularly me getting their trash. No one is doing it to be spiteful I’m doing what was ASKED

They agreed for you to take out trash on Fridays. Not that you dont need to check to see if they have any trash during the week. What if one guy on Tuesday had big batch of trash? You think its OK for that trash to just be there until Friday? You still need to check for that kind of stuff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

They agreed for you to take out trash on Fridays. Not that you dont need to check to see if they have any trash during the week. What if one guy on Tuesday had big batch of trash? You think its OK for that trash to just be there until Friday? You still need to check for that kind of stuff.

I don’t check because they email me when they need trash taken out before Friday now he’s saying I’m purposefully not checking which is not true. I gave them trash bags like they asked just in case they had heavy trash during the week

I'm sorry but it's not their job to email and ask you to take trash out. It is your job to check and make sure they don't have too much trash. The "taking out trash" on Friday was your request initially (if I'm reading it correctly) and was for saving trash bags and some of your effort (of replacing trash bags etc.) not to save you the effort of checking entirely. It's nice of them to agree to your suggestion but for you to then dump the burden on them is unprofessional.

• Like 2

Well the way I see it is you're performing a job which requires certain duties. I'm assuming these men are not the boss who hired you but they are just employees of this business? You need to be doing the duties as set out to you by the manager/ceo of their company. And also duties expected of you by your cleaning company you work for. If you're just working for yourself then you are an independent contractor and their boss is your boss while you're doing the work.

It's not appropriate to ask these guys to E-mail you when you actually have a set list of work you need to perform. They are not your boss so first of all you need to perform what's expected by the boss. The expectation as I understand is you check everyone's trash at their desk when you come to clean. And in my opinion you should actually still take it out even if it's not much but it's food for example. Like if they put fruit peel or food wrappers there, it's going to smell. Do you expect them to just sit there and wait just because there isn't much garbage there? 

I'm not trying to be rude but it seems to me you are trying to cut corners there and lessen your own work. It's not appropriate to engage these guys to help you lessen your work load. It's not very professional.

7 hours ago, HargY8890 said:

Then agreeing to Fridays was silly if there is a possibility there might be more trash throughout the week. I’m doing what was asked which was to take their trash on Fridays. He could’ve easily said he wanted to go back to regularly me getting their trash. No one is doing it to be spiteful I’m doing what was ASKED

It wasn't asked by THEM, it was asked by YOU. You were trying to make them agree to it to make your own work easier.

• Like 1