I have a career related question.

yogacat

I was recently hired to start working for a company. Well, there is another company that I was in the middle of interviewing with around the same time and was on my third interview with and had just successfully passed an assessment.

I didn't hear back from them until only recently.

They have just contacted me today letting me know they would like to move forward with a fourth interview by the director of national operations. 

I am not sure how to handle the situation.

I accepted the first company because it's a position that I think I'd really be good at and it's meaningful in that I would be making a positive impact. But, the potential opportunity with the other company offers more room for growth, a higher salary, and a few other considerations. 

I feel, during this fourth interview that maybe I need to say that I accepted the other job, but at the same time still expressing that I would love to continue exploring the opportunity with them and see where the conversation goes. Or, should I just decline the fourth interview?

5 hours ago, yogacat said:

I was recently hired to start working for a company. Well, there is another company that I was in the middle of interviewing with around the same time and was on my third interview with and had just successfully passed an assessment.

I'm wondering why you actually accepted another job offer when you had just passed the assessment and awaiting a fourth interview with the company you felt would be a be a better fit?

Could you not have told them you'll think about it and get back to them on xxxx date?

Then told the other company you received another job offer but were still very interested in working for them and left it to them to push the fourth interview up?  Assuming they were really interested in you? Companies can be quite competitive when they really want someone. 

This is done a lot in my experience.  I've done it myself! 

Yes people interview with various companies but typically not after they have already accepted a job offer.  

I never would anyway. 

How would you feel if they continued to interview other candidates after offering you the position and you accepting? 

Or a previous candidate they had offered the job to but declined later changed their mind after you had accepted?  And they withdrew their offer? 

It's the same thing but reversed.

Based on other opinions I guess I'm alone in that thinking.  

Do what you think is best and that you can live with in good conscience, that's my advice.

Tough decision though.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

I'm wondering why you actually accepted another job offer when you had just passed the assessment and awaiting a fourth interview with the company you felt would be a be a better fit?

Could you not have told them you'll think about it and get back to them on xxxx date?

Then told the other company you received another job offer but were still very interested in working for them and left it to them to push the fourth interview up?  Assuming they were really interested in you? Companies can be quite competitive when they really want someone. 

This is done a lot in my experience.  I've done it myself! 

Yes people interview with various companies but typically not after they have already accepted a job offer.  

I never would anyway. 

How would you feel if they continued to interview other candidates after offering you the position and you accepting? 

Or a previous candidate they had offered the job to but declined later changed their mind after you had accepted?  And they withdrew their offer? 

It's the same thing but reversed.

Based on other opinions I guess I'm alone in that thinking.  

Good luck whatever you decide Yoga.

I accepted the initial job offer from the first company because 1.) I felt that it would be a good company to work for and that I could bring value to the role and 2.) I literally just found out yesterday that I passed the assessment with the other company, and then the Director reached out to me today to schedule a fourth interview. That's why I mentioned "I didn't hear back from them until only recently."

I didn't hear anything from them for over a week.

With the first company, they were waiting for my fingerprints to clear before they would schedule orientation. So, even though I accepted the first job a couple of weeks ago, they informed me that they would schedule orientation once my fingerprints came back cleared and that the job offer could be rescinded at any time.

It had taken a week or so to hear back from them too and I wanted to make sure 100% percent that I had a job for sure since the first company doesn't give an exact starting date until the fingerprints clear.  

I do see your point though and I feel it is a good one. Maybe I could have told them to give me a few days. In hindsight, that may have been a better option. 

And I definitely understand your point about continuing to interview other candidates after offering someone the job, but in this situation, I had not officially started with the first company yet and I wanted to make sure I had a job secured just in case things fell through with the first company and I didn't have anything lined up.

20 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I literally just found out yesterday that I passed the assessment with the other company, and then the Director reached out to me today to schedule a fourth interview. That's why I mentioned "I didn't hear back from them until only recently."

Fair enough.  I thought you had passed the assessment awhile ago based on a previous post you made several months ago re: a job in the healthcare industry.

And was then wondering why they were just getting back to you now about the fourth interview? 

But thank you for clarifying, it makes more sense now.

And I do understand you wanting to secure the position which is why you accepted.

Again, such a tough call!   Because you want to do the ethical thing while also getting what you want.  

It's also a risk because if the company who hired you finds out you interviewed with another company, a competitor, they might (and probably would) withdraw their offer.  

It's a small world when it comes to such things. 

And if the other company doesn't offer you the position after fourth interview, you're left with no job! 

If this were me, since I had already accepted the offer, I'd stick with that decision.

But again you do what's best for you that won't keep you up at night.  

Keep us posted! 

One time  a company called me back to another interview after I had accepted a different offer, I politely declined saying I found another opportunity but I left the door open should situations change in the future. Think I felt that once I accepted the position I at least owed the trial period if not a set amount of time. Also doesn't seem a good idea to appear like you are jumping between jobs quickly, like a place can't trust you will stay. 

Of course, the company that called had treated me poorly in the interview, so I had no intention of going near them again. Made the decision a lot easier.

I would honor the acceptance of the first job and explain to the second company you accepted a different position. But keep in touch with them and keep an eye out for any other openings in the future. Six months or a year from now if you see something, check in and it could give you a head start over the competition. I had someone remember me from an interview a year prior and fast tracked me into an open position.

Do what you feel is best for you. Your judgement is usually right on track.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Fair enough.  I thought you had passed the assessment awhile ago based on a previous post you made several months ago in the healthcare industry.

And was then wondering why they were just getting back to you now? 

But thank you for clarifying, it makes more sense now.

And I do understand you wanting to secure the job offer.

Again, such a tough call!   Because you want to do the ethical thing while also getting what you want.  

It's also a risk because if the company who hired you finds out you interviewed with another company, a competitor, they might (and probably would) withdraw their offer.  

It's a small world when it comes to such things. 

If this were me, since I had already accepted the offer, I'd stick with that decision.

But again you do what's best for you that won't keep you up at night.  

Keep us posted! 

The topic I started a few months ago was about my academic degree path. I am still in school as well.

Yes, wanting to do the ethical thing while also trying to secure what I want has been on my mind a lot.

There are some things about this 2nd job that would make life a bit easier for me in terms of being closer to home (since I caregive and I need to be closer to home), more money, better schedule that fits with mine, etc. And I also don't want to disrespect or burn any bridges with either company. That's why I am really struggling with this decision.

I found myself in a situation at a career once where the boss made a pass at me, but he offered me more money and promoted me beforehand. So, I guess I am a bit weary as well since I have been on that other side where what was being offered was not exactly what it seemed. 

I left after he made that pass. But I also left because he was treating a vendor that worked for us very poorly to where I couldn't stand to work for such an Employer.

I know these companies are looking for the right fit and I felt with the first company that because they said the job offer could be rescinded that made me a bit nervous. They were not getting back to me with an orientation date, so I feared I could potentially lose the job offer too for whatever reason.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I know these companies are looking for the right fit and I felt with the first company that because they said the job offer could be rescinded and if I sat and waited idly while they were not getting back to me with an orientation date, I could potentially lose the job offer too for whatever reason.

I hear ya! 

I recall being on pins after receiving a "tentative" offer pending passing a background check!

There's nothing questionable in my background but still, until you get the "final" offer (in writing) with start date etc you're still left in limbo. 

On second thought yoga, go have the fourth interview and say nothing. 

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

It wouldnt sit right with me. I know companies aren’t exactly “beacon of morality” today. But you already accepted position. If you get the other job and accept that, what would your company now said? “She worked with us for a month and just left us when better offer came”? 

I am all for exploring options. Again, companies today are all about profits and the last thing on their mind is the employee. If they could replace you with a robot, they would. Just dont think you should have accepted the first offer if you were on the interview process for far better. Because of your own morals, not companies. 

• Thanks 1

Oh I see part of this -I didn't think you had a firm start date yet? So no I would not let company 1 invest in training you then ditch them right away for company 2.  But I think it's ok to push off your start date and if the 4th interview at company 2 goes well - you can tell them you have interest from other companies so you need to know their potential time line and if it's months or they say they need like someone suggested - more interviews then I'd not take the risk and would go with company 1.  

I declined a third interview offered months later (because their current employee ended up staying, then left) because I was 15 weeks pregnant, meaning if I got the offer at this final interview I did not want them investing time in me to train etc if I knew I'd leave for longer than a typical maternity leave - SAHM being like your other job offer in a way -same result, same information that if withheld presents an ethical issue for many (and did for me!)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

If you get the other job and accept that, what would your company now said? “She worked with us for a month and just left us when better offer came”? 

This is not great, yet it is something that happens occasionally. Plus, how could she have known they'd be back in touch for yet another interview? If the pay is high and company great, then it's worth a shot.

@yogacat you can tell them you got a job already, but in my experience it works against you. It won't land well for the better company. If you can pretend you haven't gotten anything for now, you'll be in the clear in their books. Do you know how long is their interview process?

13 minutes ago, DarkCh0c0 said:

This is not great, yet it is something that happens occasionally. Plus, how could she have known they'd be back in touch for yet another interview? If the pay is high and company great, then it's worth a shot.

I am not arguing that its not better for her to go for better salary or even just being closer to family. Just that it really doesnt look great when she hops jobs like that. And that she shouldn’t accept first offer in the first place when she had something else lined up. Sure, she didnt know that other one will call back. But its still morally questionable. To put it in dating perspective, it would be like if she went with her dream guy on a date. But in a meantime some other guy she likes went on a date with her and she accepted to be exclusive with that guy. But now the dream guy called. Sure, she can leave the second guy. But doesnt look good on her when she says “Yeah I know we are exclusive but this other guy called and now I need to leave you for him, I hope you understand”. Sure, it happens. But morality of actions like that are questionable.

Also, my friend had a same kind of conundrum. He was interviewed for 2 jobs. One where he would work in a tech store and other where he would work as a forklift driver. First one said they would call him back but second did hire him. So he went for a second. In a meantime first one called him back and offered him that spot. He declined as he already was signed and collected documents to bring them and start the job. Even though first job was much nicer(selling in the store) than other who required from him to learn to drive forklift and do physical labor. Turns out he did right, tech store closed in the city after a year or two. And his company is still working nicely. He even got better pay now. 

Also, we are arguing like she got the job and she is just interviewing for now. So maybe isnt even an option. If she wants to try, sure. But again, she shouldnt have signed contract with other company in meantime. 

8 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

It wouldnt sit right with me. I know companies aren’t exactly “beacon of morality” today. But you already accepted position. If you get the other job and accept that, what would your company now said? “She worked with us for a month and just left us when better offer came”? 

I am all for exploring options. Again, companies today are all about profits and the last thing on their mind is the employee. If they could replace you with a robot, they would. Just dont think you should have accepted the first offer if you were on the interview process for far better. Because of your own morals, not companies. 

I don't want to make a decision based on because "companies" do it all the time (i.e. replace employees).

In short, it's because I want to do what is best for me without 1.) causing dishonesty, harm, or mistrust towards others, or 2.) hurting myself or my prospects for my future when I continue trying to secure employment when I'm about to graduate.

The orientation with the first company isn't for another week.

My fourth interview with the second company is this week.

The first company kept pushing my orientation date back (it was supposed to be this past week) due to my fingerprints waiting to clear. They informed me that the job offer could change at any notice.

So instead of waiting for confirmation, I left it open with the second company. But really, both interview processes happened simultaneously as I was job hunting.

I have very good relationships with past employers. So, it's tough for me to think about employers as labeling everyone as "replaceable." I wasn't trying to ascend in the company to lose all ethical morale. I want to make a decision that is right for me where I feel I fit and where I can contribute and grow.

My last career was working for someone that had a fatal form of Dementia and I stayed with him until he died. I knew he was going to pass I just didn't know WHEN. I stayed because I cared. I chose not to look for other work when he was alive knowing that I could be jobless when he passed. But I knew it was the best decision for me to stay and I did it by choice.

This was years ago, I was mentioned in his Eulogy, I attended funeral, Still am close with the kids etc. So, being called "replaceable" does not sit well with me. I know companies like to label people that, but I want to assure the correct fit for the jobs are hired and I want to make a good decision.

So, I am going to be transparent: seeing what happens in the conversation to leave options open without being dishonest or burning bridges. And if the ethics and values of the second company line up with mine, let the chips fall where they may and we can figure it out from there.

4 hours ago, DarkCh0c0 said:

Do you know how long is their interview process?

Thanks @DarkCh0c0! I don't.

I had no idea initially that the interview process would be this long (it's been about a month now).  I may not even be offered the position which I am aware of I just thought it best to mention to them about the first job offer I recently accepted.

8 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Wait -so the company where you have orientation pushed back date and said job offer could change?Just want to make sure I have that right.  To me it would matter.

The job offer letter specified that a background and reference check, and proof of certain medical tests need to be complete before the job offer is final. It also mentioned that they are an at-will employer, and that the offer letter does not mean there's a contract for employment and that they can change an employee's assignment at any time.

• Like 1

Just now, yogacat said:

The job offer letter specified that a background and reference check, and proof of certain medical tests need to be complete before the job offer is final. It also mentioned that they are an at-will employer, and that the offer letter does not mean there's a contract for employment and that they can change an employee's assignment at any time.

OK yes sounds typical -employee at will in U.S.  So I'd find out timing with 4th interview place and since this is a conditional job offer no need  to tell IMO and also how long is orientation -I mean you could leave during orientation if the timing works out

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, yogacat said:

^^This is pretty standard in the U.S. but typically they wouldn't even schedule the orientation until the fingerprints/background cleared. 

So a bit surprised by that but every company has their own policies about it.

In any event, I think it's unfair to the candidate as this "tentative offer pending passing background check" might prevent them from interviewing with other companies.

And if by chance she doesn't pass OR they find some other reason to NOT make the "final" offer, the candidate has forfeited other opportunities.

"At-will" employment agreements go both ways!!  

Once hired, a company can terminate the employee at any time in turn the employee can leave at any time.

• Thanks 1

So, the situation is you have a orientation with company 1 in a week and a fourth interview with company 2. 

In my opinion, it is more certain with company 1 because you are definitely going to be their employee for the next 90 days(that is normally the trial period unless you do something crazy and they fire you straight up). 

So, from what I see, the only thing may get you to be concern is company 2 seems to be a better offer(better company, better benefit, better people). Or maybe company 2 makes you feel better. 

But from the action point of view, I can see these actions available:

1. Decline the 4th interview and move on with the current situation

2. Accept the 4th interview and move on. There might be the 5th or 6th or 10th interview until you get the offer. 

3. Work for company 1 until company 2 offer you a job

4. Look for company 3

What results do you see with the possible actions? 

• Thanks 1

The first company is behaving in typical fashion. I had to do a drug test for my current employer before I could be given a start date. Most companies will do everything they can to protect themselves legally. Remember, HR is there to protect the company first and foremost.

However, if they keep pushing things back, it is a little unfair for the employee. If you haven't officially started yet, you could still go for the interview. There is no guarantee you will get the position, in which cause the only harm is in spending the time on it. The question I would weigh is if they wanted to continue the process with you, or offer you the job? Would you feel okay with leaving the first company on such short notice? Or would you feel justified in pursuing the better opportunity?

It really depends on what your ethics are and what is most important to you. I've seen people get a job and leave in a couple months for something else. I've seen all kinds of scenarios. In the end, you have to do what is right for you. 

I also applaud you for wanting to be transparent and open. You're a person of strong convictions and want to do the right thing for all involved. There may be times and places were that could set you back. But I don't think you would be happy doing it any other way. Do it your way, in accordance with your values, and it will work out for the best.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, yogacat said:

I just thought it best to mention to them about the first job offer I recently accepted

This is not smart.

A lot of recruiters will take it badly if you divulge such info. They will think "why is she still interviewing if she got the offer? Will she do the same to us?".

Only a minority will say "yes, we want yogacat so bad we don't care".

I still suggest not saying anything. Like you said, you might not even get an offer so it's not the worst thing in the world to keep the info for yourself, look out for your best interest and go.

In any case, let us know how it goes ☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

I am not arguing that its not better for her to go for better salary or even just being closer to family. Just that it really doesnt look great when she hops jobs like that. And that she shouldn’t accept first offer in the first place when she had something else lined up. Sure, she didnt know that other one will call back. But its still morally questionable

My argument is that it's not so questionable. People leave jobs for better ones all the time. Whether that happens early or later in their hiring, it doesn't natter. If anything, by leaving them early, she'd reduced her involvement, training and cost for the company. Better leave one month in, than six or seven later.

Now morally, I suppose this is up to personal preference for sure. I understand your stance.

• Thanks 1