New job

Hello everyone

So I started a new job, apparently most of them are related to the chairman or the ceo. It is a small company, the engineer i work with always compare himself with me and he isn't very nice always trying to be the boss.  They give me a task without helping me we are supposed to contact suppliers but they didnt even give me a list they said that they don't have. So i started searching on Internet. Then the company's Internet stopped working for 3 days afterwards my email got hacked so I couldn't do any work and I told them that I need another one or fix it. After a week, it got fixed, but I discovered that the other engineer had spread the rumour that I dont like working and I didnt contact anyone although I had already said that my pc wasn't working! Plus in the interview I told him that I worked as a design engineer not a sales engineer they said that they will give me training. And there was nothing 

It was the chairman who gave me the contact of few suppliers the other day,I told him about pc email suppliers list and usb, he just took it lightly and was saying that's not a big deal, you shouldn't act as a employee you should try to find solutions and do your best to get the task done. 

We already work 54 hours a week,I do the best that I can when they give me a task.

I feel very annoyed that whenever I talk and defend myself its like they aren't listening to me or they don't believe me, they keep saying that if you are not doing well enough we will fire you or the ceo will fire you. I haven't even completed 3 months! They were like ur role is unclear,

I don't understand what to do anymore 

What would you guys advice me to do in such situation???

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Stephaniee said:

they keep saying that if you are not doing well enough we will fire you or the ceo will fire you

That's a very toxic behaviour and environment.

Childish and toxic. Trust your instincts.

Some things to consider: Can you keep applying to other jobs? Have you considered bringing your colleagues' behaviour up to the manager or CEO? And, are you able to leave and sustain yourself financially until you find a new role?

It sounds also as if the role is not what you exactly signed up for.

While you apply for other jobs, read up the "grey rock" method. It's a tactic you use when these childish people talk to you in the office. Get your work done well, and ignore them. Stay professional and don't lower yourself to their level.

• Thanks 1

If your job is to contact suppliers, it's insane that they didn't get you a list of suppliers.  Any chance you misunderstood the task & your job was to find new suppliers who could save the company money? 

The chairman is correct.  The employee's job is to find solutions.  Perhaps get clarification about the problem you are supposed to resolve?  

• Like 1

When I've started a job there is usually a 90 day probation period to see if the employee is a good fit. It's usually viewed as the company wanting to see if the employee works out. But it should also be for the employee to see if the company works out.

The beginning period is when you are supposed to be shown the ropes and trained on your specific tasks. Instead you have been thrust into a role they know you don't the experience in, not given any training, and told to figure it out on your own. You are expected to work long hours. When you try to offer suggestions on how to improve things, you are ignored. And you have to deal with petty politics. None of this is normal or healthy.

No job is worth the stress or strain on your mental and physical health. This place is poorly run and that isn't likely to change. You can try to grin and bear it, but it will most likely continue as is and just end up hurting you more and more.

I would be looking for other opportunities elsewhere. If you can afford it, I would even consider giving notice so you can devote yourself to finding a better place that is more organzied and would provide you the resources you actually need to excel at what you do.

14 hours ago, TeeDee said:

If your job is to contact suppliers, it's insane that they didn't get you a list of suppliers.  Any chance you misunderstood the task & your job was to find new suppliers who could save the company money? 

The chairman is correct.  The employee's job is to find solutions.  Perhaps get clarification about the problem you are supposed to resolve?  

No the other engineer just told me find it through Google, and when I said that I need a list he told the higher ups that I wasn't working although I did help them in design there were basic notions that they didnt know I clarified it to them,but the that engineer just discarded all this and held onto the supplier issu and spread it out to the management 

10 hours ago, ShySoul said:

When I've started a job there is usually a 90 day probation period to see if the employee is a good fit. It's usually viewed as the company wanting to see if the employee works out. But it should also be for the employee to see if the company works out.

The beginning period is when you are supposed to be shown the ropes and trained on your specific tasks. Instead you have been thrust into a role they know you don't the experience in, not given any training, and told to figure it out on your own. You are expected to work long hours. When you try to offer suggestions on how to improve things, you are ignored. And you have to deal with petty politics. None of this is normal or healthy.

No job is worth the stress or strain on your mental and physical health. This place is poorly run and that isn't likely to change. You can try to grin and bear it, but it will most likely continue as is and just end up hurting you more and more.

I would be looking for other opportunities elsewhere. If you can afford it, I would even consider giving notice so you can devote yourself to finding a better place that is more organzied and would provide you the resources you actually need to excel at what you do.

You are right but the problem is in my previous job they were also toxic so I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like everyone adapt and keep the job without it affecting their mental health whilst I suffer in each job. I feel like I everyone just learned how to act in corporate while I struggle,I watch videos on how to act and what to say at work but Its not working out.

Can anyone give me tips on how to deal in such environment (till I find another job)?

Was it also a smaller company? I've noticed that those can be a lot more disorganized.

Sales is also a very different field then what you actually know. It is more fast paced and involves individual initiative. It burns people out and isn't suitable for everyone. There is a reason that was the one business thing I never wanted to be a part of, no matter how many recruiters tried to push it on me.

Try not to compare yourself to others. Everyone has a different level of what they can take before it impacts them. Some people really thrive in that kind of environment. For others it is a nightmare. It's okay if it's not the right fit.

If you have to ride it out, just do the best you can. Put in 100%, do the job to the best of your ability. That is all you can do. And if you know this is temporary, don't let what others say or think get to you. This is a pit stop on the way to better.

Long term, did you have any training on what to do in the business world? If not, just research, research, research. Before you take a job, investigate the company. Go to glassdoor.com and see what employees have to say about a place. Read reviews and ask questions of the interviewer on things such as managment style and culture. Just educate yourself as much as possible.

10 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Was it also a smaller company? I've noticed that those can be a lot more disorganized.

Sales is also a very different field then what you actually know. It is more fast paced and involves individual initiative. It burns people out and isn't suitable for everyone. There is a reason that was the one business thing I never wanted to be a part of, no matter how many recruiters tried to push it on me.

Try not to compare yourself to others. Everyone has a different level of what they can take before it impacts them. Some people really thrive in that kind of environment. For others it is a nightmare. It's okay if it's not the right fit.

If you have to ride it out, just do the best you can. Put in 100%, do the job to the best of your ability. That is all you can do. And if you know this is temporary, don't let what others say or think get to you. This is a pit stop on the way to better.

Long term, did you have any training on what to do in the business world? If not, just research, research, research. Before you take a job, investigate the company. Go to glassdoor.com and see what employees have to say about a place. Read reviews and ask questions of the interviewer on things such as managment style and culture. Just educate yourself as much as possible.

Well they made the decision for me 

Today they fired me 

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Stephaniee said:

Well they made the decision for me 

Today they fired me 

Wow.

Tough company...

I pretty much was going to say the same thing as your boss; they more than likely wanted you to problem-solve it and create a contact list from scratch. Some companies enjoy having one employee wear many hats.

Always good to ask about workarounds, not wait for a reply. Especially with not having access to the internet. I recall one time our business's power was out and I went to a coffee shop nearby with internet access. If your email was inoperable IT needed to get on the ball ASAP and in the interim, see if your email could have been forwarded to a temporary email that you could work with. I don't know the specifics but these are some things I would have tried.

Sorry to hear they weren't more helpful in that regard. I think if you remained in this job, you can be prepared for more of the same type of situation. Sometimes businesses go too far in expecting too much from an employee, and they themselves do not always have the best processes in place. This is particularly true when they went out of their way to say they would provide you with training.

Them threatening to fire you so early on, is a muscle move on their part, too.

Ultimatums don't provide good long-term moral for the company. Could you imagine being constantly reminded that at any moment you could be fired? Very threatening, unwelcoming work environment. Petty they couldn't offer a list either. That's such an easy task for an established business to make for themselves; they really should have had something for you to work with. 

53 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Wow.

Tough company...

I pretty much was going to say the same thing as your boss; they more than likely wanted you to problem-solve it and create a contact list from scratch. Some companies enjoy having one employee wear many hats.

Always good to ask about workarounds, not wait for a reply. Especially with not having access to the internet. I recall one time our business's power was out and I went to a coffee shop nearby with internet access. If your email was inoperable IT needed to get on the ball ASAP and in the interim, see if your email could have been forwarded to a temporary email that you could work with. I don't know the specifics but these are some things I would have tried.

Sorry to hear they weren't more helpful in that regard. I think if you remained in this job, you can be prepared for more of the same type of situation. Sometimes businesses go too far in expecting too much from an employee, and they themselves do not always have the best processes in place. This is particularly true when they went out of their way to say they would provide you with training.

Them threatening to fire you so early on, is a muscle move on their part, too.

Ultimatums don't provide good long-term moral for the company. Could you imagine being constantly reminded that at any moment you could be fired? Very threatening, unwelcoming work environment. Petty they couldn't offer a list either. That's such an easy task for an established business to make for themselves; they really should have had something for you to work with. 

Yeah they were rude ,I did complain about all of them and how ignorant everyone was!  

They could've clarified from day one or from the interview what they wanted exactly instead of beating around the bush 

47 minutes ago, Stephaniee said:

Yeah they were rude ,I did complain about all of them and how ignorant everyone was!  

They could've clarified from day one or from the interview what they wanted exactly instead of beating around the bush 

See this as a blessing. You are free from a toxic place that treated you poorly and which you didn't like. You are free to explore better options.

I've been let go from places I didn't care for. I've always said it's there loss.

You'll find something better.