Manic High...

Hey guys as some of you know I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 years ago which means my moods are high and low, manic/depressive. 

Not quite as extreme as Bipolar 1 and with no psychosis.

Nevertheless occasionally I still struggle and wanted to post about it, but right now I'm in a manic state.

I've become quite adept at controlling my behavior so not acting "crazy" or anything but I can feel it!

I literally haven't slept in two days despite taking three CBD gummies last night which left me feeling like I was hallucinating!  

I'm not tired at all and feel like I could run a marathon!  

I felt it coming on a couple of days ago when I began chatting with the British guy from the app I posted about, not sure if that was a trigger or coincidence?

Anyway I'm not on meds so will just have to ride this out!

There's no question just wanted to share my story, thanks for listening! 😂

• Like 1

Take care of yourself buddy. Wasn't aware of your condition. Hope you can keep it under control right now.

Haven't slept much myself last couple days, but for the opposite reason. Wish we could trade, some of you're high for my low so we would both balance out. 😉

Now I want gummies, the regular kind that is. Bears, worms, lifesavers... I devour any gummi product. 

Yeah, no answer for your non question. Just sending you support and saying I'm here for you if you need anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

So you maybe should check with doctors about that. 

Tnx @ShySoul and @Kwothe28I just got back. 

My doctor told me I was not experiencing a "manic" episode but rather "hypomania" (not as severe) and prescribed a low dosage mood stabilizer for when this happens and something to help me sleep.

I take only when I need it. 

I did end up falling asleep last night on my own after doing breathing/mind exercises and laying still (sounds hokey but it works!) and slept around 5 hours. 

I still feel a bit shakey but gonna go for a run, hopefully I will get a better night's sleep tonight!  

It's just that it's been so long since I experienced this, it got me really scared!  

But I'm okay thanks again! 😂

• Like 2

Hope you feel better soon. Just to mention I know when you are manic .😉

My dad was Bipolar 1 and he was violent when manic we all got lost so we didn’t have to deal with him . I know it is not like this for everyone . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Hope you feel better soon. Just to mention I know when you are manic .😉

My dad was Bipolar 1 and he was violent when manic we all got lost so we didn’t have to deal with him . I know it is not like this for everyone . 

Thanks @Seraphim and sorry about what happened with your dad.

I have Bipolar 2 (hypomania) and was never ever violent nor did I ever feel violent!  Knock wood.  

I have been managing symptoms pretty well on my own for years but still have highs and lows and this is most likely what you've noticed - when my mood is on the upswing! :classic_biggrin:

Like I said it had been awhile since I felt this way on this level (no sleep for two days), and it scared me.

I'm glad I went to the doctor and glad I have the meds to fall back on when I need them!

I hope you are doing well as well, from what I've read you have quite a bit of experience with mental illness and have been through a lot!  

So hope all is well in your world.  

Interesting article linked below explaining how excessive heat can trigger mania for people with Bipolar.

SoCal (where I live) is experiencing a serious heat wave currently, it actually never got below 100 degrees even past midnight in some areas!

I've been running my air only periodically per SDGE advisory to prevent outage and last night was especially hot!!

I finally turned it on around 2:00am.

Anyway I did not know this!   

But I'm glad I now do!

Link below. 

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/04/757034136/how-high-heat-can-impact-mental-health

• Like 2

Anything can affect anything.

The important thing is that you're having it to the point that you're not sleeping for two days. I am not bipolar so can't relate to mania but I have panic disorder and 100% would feel like I'm losing grip on reality if I couldn't sleep for that long.

My brother, well, he was never diagnosed with anything, but he thought he was dying once and couldn't sleep for three days. It affected him to the point that he thought he was actually dying. I ran him to the ER and they told me he wasn't dying, he was just overly anxious about it. Wouldn't sleep for three days though, no matter how tired he was. It definitely has a huge impact on people.

I have Graves Disease/Hyperthyroidism and I can't be in the heat too much or my body starts to overheat and I have to get to a cool place. I hope that you can find something that relaxes you so you can get some sleep and not suffer from a manic state. 

It's great that you're able to take a more holistic route but when you're going for days without sleep, well, we all choose the best and most comfortable way to control our health at the end of the day. 

• Like 2

Hi Yoga, definitely hear ya about the no sleep which is what scared me and why I went to the doctor today.  See previous post.

I've posted before but I once didn't sleep for five (5) days, I kid you not which began my journey with Bipolar.

It was a long road before getting properly diagnosed and I was on meds for awhile before deciding to take the holistic route. 

Anyway, the doctor prescribed meds to take on an "as needed" basis which I know will be better for me than the CBD!

I actually think the CBD may have made it worse, I was even hallucinating which really scared the * out of me! 

My doctor told me people react differently to it and for me I should not take!

Anyway, I love how honest we all are about our struggles with mental health, there used to be such a stigma and I dare not mention it to anyone except family and close friends.

Thank you for the well wishes and hope you're okay too!! 

Stay cool! 

Best friend lived in Houston for a few years with absurd levels of heat. She noticed her moods were heightened by the heat and that the number of crimes, rage, and other incidents seemed to peak the hotter it got. With average temperatures rising all over, that's something all of us should be careful about.

It's around 100 were I'm at with temperatures not dropping to sane levels until Wednesday. Hope you are staying cool and can find something to keep you calm and let you get peace and rest. 

And I'm also glad people can be more honest about their struggles. Hiding it and burying it inside of us only makes it worse. Being able to discuss it freely lifts the weight off from us and can help us address things, hopefully in a supportive environment.

Glad you got help and are okay for now. Hoping you won't experience it again, but know you've got a lot of friends and support if you do.

• Thanks 1

There is a stigma, I know I have it for Panic Disorder. But I wouldn't want to tell someone that upon first meeting them because that is very private for me. That's just me personally.

Of course, it's a bit different because it's an online forum, but I only entrust that information to people that make me feel safe irl. The CBD one must be careful. I recall I was freaking out when my dad passed out and had to be rushed to the ER, I couldn't calm down, my sister had some because she rarely sleeps well, and it made me super paranoid. I rushed out of the ER were my Dad was and had to sit down outside on the floor for a good half hour to calm down.

Natural remedies are great albeit 1 be each very different so what works for 1, may not for another.

Thanks for the well wishes too!  Hope you get some much needed rest!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2024 at 8:20 PM, rainbowsandroses said:

Hi Yoga, definitely hear ya about the no sleep which is what scared me and why I went to the doctor today.  See previous post.

I've posted before but I once didn't sleep for five (5) days, I kid you not which began my journey with Bipolar.

It was a long road before getting properly diagnosed and I was on meds for awhile before deciding to take the holistic route. 

Anyway, the doctor prescribed meds to take on an "as needed" basis which I know will be better for me than the CBD!

I actually think the CBD may have made it worse, I was even hallucinating which really scared the * out of me! 

My doctor told me people react differently to it and for me I should not take!

Anyway, I love how honest we all are about our struggles with mental health, there used to be such a stigma and I dare not mention it to anyone except family and close friends.

Thank you for the well wishes and hope you're okay too!! 

Stay cool! 

It reminds me of when I didn’t sleep barely a wink for 22 days when  they gave me Zoloft . I thought I had bees buzzing in my head . I paced constantly and couldn’t eat or drink or sleep and lost 30 pounds in those 22 days. Plus from the first pill I was seeing walking furniture. After 22 days they told me to stop. It doesn’t happen often but I am one of those it happened to . My husband and my mother take it and are perfectly fine on it . I have bizzare brain chemistry for medications I get that from my dad. 

I feel I have a great medication now. I sleep well 99% of the time and my anxiety is very very limited but I still have to work on keeping it at bay sometimes . Even with medications things still require work. 

Yeah, I have had a life of some hard knocks but I am doing ok.