Can men and women have true friendships?

yogacat

2 hours ago, Jaunty said:

Other opposite sex friendships have grown because of knowing someone in life, like at school, work, hobby, or a social friend group, and it just organically develops.  That's more common and makes sense because the people involved actually know each other.

We both belonged to the same group through school and he was in charge of facilitating the group and we'd speak regularly discussing topics relevant to the group and that's how we became acquainted. It was only after the group ended that he found my social media and messaged me directly. So, we do have that in common.

He asked me out, we went on one date, and I declined 2nd date and said why. Two years passed, we reconnected, and we attended some activities together as friends and there was a complete "friend vibe" at least that's how it felt. Until he messaged me one day asking if I still only viewed this as friends, so that he knows how to guide his interactions towards me, and at the end of that conversation he said he wanted to be friends too.

Until, I made the pizza and he tried to kiss me, I guess he wasn't being totally forthcoming. I do have enough mutual interest to remain friends but I don't quite think given the last time we spent time together that he was truly interested in friendship..

I don't want to be friends with him just because. I felt that we share similar outlooks and interests. But you're right, if it's not happening organically I don't want to force it or be inflexible on my behalf. Thank you.

• Like 1