Employer Rejection Letters

You know how at the end of rejection letters they typically say they will keep your information on file for any further positions.  Has anyone ever actually had the company call them back later regarding another position, or the one you applied for?  I'm thinking no. 

So, I have mentioned previously that I work in HR, and I am heavily involved in recruitment.

If you had an interview with them and then received a rejection, it's possible they could reach out to you in the near future. I have done so on a few occasions with candidates who were good, but not for the particular job they've applied for.

If you didn't interview, most likely what you read was the standard message from the ATS and your resume was filed somewhere in a big load of CVs. It is most likely a company that is struggling to find talent that will pull up and sort through loads of CVs and try to reach out via email/LinkedIn. Otherwise, most often your CV gets lost in an ocean of CVs.

• Thanks 1

I interviewed with one place and they went with someone else, although the manager I interviewed with was impressed with me. I eventually took a temp job that was only set to last around six months. When I contacted the recruiter who set my interview with the first company, he said that the manager had just asked if I was available as there was another opening. Timing worked out as I was offered a temp to hire position shortly after and I was started a new job just over a week from ending the last one. And I was hired full time a few months later.

I've also received calls from places I've interviewed with months later but had already taken a different job.

I don't think it happens often, but it can happen. 

• Thanks 1

I own a business & keep the resumes.  I have called people back months later.  By then they always have another job. 

Sometimes there are instances when none of the 1st choice candidates work out & then needs to go back sooner.  

• Thanks 1

Here they sometimes do that. My old employer had a hips of older CVs from people who were interested in a job. So when position opened, they would call few of them to see if they are available. Sometimes people would just fill application and leave CV at my desk and I would sort it where they needed to be sorted. So when position opens, they maybe call them. 

• Thanks 1

I've also been able to get former co-workers multiple interviews with the place I worked at.

There are any number of ways to get an interview or position. Best not to rule anything out and be open to as many options as possible. Just don't count on any of them and put all the eggs in one basket. 

And watch out for those US Representative members. They'll just message people at random. 😉

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

I've also been able to get former co-workers multiple interviews with the place I worked at.

There are any number of ways to get an interview or position. Best not to rule anything out and be open to as many options as possible. Just don't count on any of them and put all the eggs in one basket. 

And watch out for those US Representative members. They'll just message people at random. 😉

Agreed, I have also consulted my network. 

• Like 1

Maybe, I don't know. It's a good question!

Just received a very similar, well, the exact same call this week!

Ok, whatever, same ho-hum and I move on to eventually find a new job. I had JUST signed a job offer acceptance letter the day before they called, so it wasn't as much of a bummer.

I was interviewing with a few companies after my last contract ended. I was picked from a pool of 84 final applicants. Then, in the final five, I was considered (after my third interview with them, so I thought my chances were good...guess not, ha!).

I'm not sure but some companies might have to legally keep accurate files due to discrimination laws of all of their applications even though they were not hired. I've heard people being called back later if the chosen candidate did not work out. So, never know! But I also wouldn't be sitting home on a Saturday afternoon dreaming about dreams that have not materialized. Just keep on applying for other jobs and using this one as a back-up if this place calls you back.

I interviewed twice with an employer -through a headhunter -many years ago.  The headhunter called and said they decided to let the current employee telecommute from where he was planning to relocate.  Never got a formal rejection.  2-3 months later headhunter called to say telecommuter didn't stay at the company -I was one of two finalists and did I want to do a third interview. I said no because I was 15 weeks pregnant and it didn't seem fair if I was fairly certain I wouldn't go right back after maternity leave (I may actually have been pregnant at interview 2 -but didn't test yet!)