How do you deal with apply to university when grades are bad?

My grades turned out bad despite resitting a year, Im struggling really badly and Im not sure how to apply to the university in this state. I just need some support I guess and maybe some heartfelt advice. Im really lost and I don't have any family to turn to since they all pressure me to go to university to continue to have child benefit funds. I do want to study myself but I struggle with panic attacks in class and my brain shuts down when I try to study at times 😕

• Like 1

On your earlier thread I suggested making an appointment with a mental health counselor from your school. You've already paid for the service, and they are familiar with many cases similar to your circumstances and are trained to help. Start there.

• Like 1

University isn't for everyone.  

What are your interests?  Are you good with your hands?  Can you go to some kind of trade school to learn how to fix cars, become a plumber, program computers, get a nurse's aid certificate?   Those types of courses are shorter, cheaper & less academically rigorous.  In 6-18 months they get you a good paying job, usually one with benefits.

Do also speak to the guidance counselors at your HS.  They may have better thoughts.  

• Like 2

Community college? Top colleges arent for everyone. They are often expensive and you need good grades. But if you want to broaden education, you can always try for some diploma at some local one. You wont need to relocate for school and you could maybe work and do school in meantime so when you get diploma you can try maybe for better positions with it.

• Like 1

Not everyone needs to apply for university right away. Not everyone needs to go period.

If your mental health issues are impacting your studies, then the first priority is to start there. Trying to go to university would most likely be a very expensive waste of time as you would probably struggle with the same issues, having it impact your grades. And that would continue to delay any future plans.

You need to address the root of the probem, what is causing the mental health issues in the first place. If there are no family or friends to help, go to a counselor. See what resources they can provide you with.

In the meantime, if you need to stay active, what are you interested in? You can find hobbies, work, or volunteer opportunites around those interests. It can keep you busy while helping you focus on something positive that you enjoy. And that can be a plus for the mental health.

There is always time to go back to school later. I've known people who go back to school years later. I've also known people who pursued something without higher education and did well for themselves. In the end, the important thing is to be happy with yourself.

• Like 1

Hey! 

I was in the same situation.

My grades were absolutely horrid because i was too anxious to even attend my high school classes. I don‘t know where you are from but what i did was research. 

What do you want to do? what is fun to you? if that‘s not realistic with your grades, what is possible?

I always wanted to study Psychology but my GPA (we call it NC in Germany) wasn‘t good enough, so i applied for educational science instead. If u want to go to Uni and have a family that will support it, there is always a way.

I would definitely recommend not applying right away. You‘re struggling at school so you most likely will struggle at Uni too (im speaking from experience. Attending my classes is absolute hell bc of my anxiety and depression)

Good luck and please don‘t stress too much.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 5:29 PM, Batya33 said:

Can you talk to your school's counselor? I'm sorry you're hurting.

Unfortunately no, I'm out of school as of now ... But thank you for the suggestion ^^ I've tried my local therapy in here but the techniques don't work too well for me..

On 8/30/2024 at 5:49 PM, catfeeder said:

On your earlier thread I suggested making an appointment with a mental health counselor from your school. You've already paid for the service, and they are familiar with many cases similar to your circumstances and are trained to help. Start there.

Unfortunately I'm already out of school so I cannot access the mental health counselor. However I asked my doctor for a referral for therapy in a different area but I did not get contacted at all within months. I'll try to call my doctor to see if the therapy referral got back to them instead. Thank you : )

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 8:46 PM, TeeDee said:

University isn't for everyone.  

What are your interests?  Are you good with your hands?  Can you go to some kind of trade school to learn how to fix cars, become a plumber, program computers, get a nurse's aid certificate?   Those types of courses are shorter, cheaper & less academically rigorous.  In 6-18 months they get you a good paying job, usually one with benefits.

Do also speak to the guidance counselors at your HS.  They may have better thoughts.  

My guidance counselor recommended me becoming a journalist since I have pretty decent grades in English. My skilled interests are artistic and humanities-based. Programming computers doesn't sound so bad I suppose, I love learning new things. I'm just upset because I really love learning so I would've loved university even if I wouldn't be good at it.

On 8/30/2024 at 8:49 PM, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Contact Lori Loughlin.  😉

Okay 🙂 Do I contact via fanmail?

On 8/30/2024 at 9:03 PM, Kwothe28 said:

Community college? Top colleges arent for everyone. They are often expensive and you need good grades. But if you want to broaden education, you can always try for some diploma at some local one. You wont need to relocate for school and you could maybe work and do school in meantime so when you get diploma you can try maybe for better positions with it.

Diploma sounds pretty nice, I'll definitely check it out. Thank you 🙂 

On 8/30/2024 at 9:06 PM, ShySoul said:

Not everyone needs to apply for university right away. Not everyone needs to go period.

If your mental health issues are impacting your studies, then the first priority is to start there. Trying to go to university would most likely be a very expensive waste of time as you would probably struggle with the same issues, having it impact your grades. And that would continue to delay any future plans.

You need to address the root of the probem, what is causing the mental health issues in the first place. If there are no family or friends to help, go to a counselor. See what resources they can provide you with.

In the meantime, if you need to stay active, what are you interested in? You can find hobbies, work, or volunteer opportunites around those interests. It can keep you busy while helping you focus on something positive that you enjoy. And that can be a plus for the mental health.

There is always time to go back to school later. I've known people who go back to school years later. I've also known people who pursued something without higher education and did well for themselves. In the end, the important thing is to be happy with yourself.

I've tried therapy but I really struggle with communicating my feelings, like to the point I cry after every session because I couldn't express what is bothering me. The therapists themselves didn't make me feel comfortable either. Writing down on paper doesn't help somehow. But I'm waiting for referral for a different service in therapy so hopefully that'll go well. Thank you for recommending volunteer activities, I'm trying to look for some at the moment. Work however is tough because I really struggle to get a job 😞 I hope it won't be too long till I get back to school, I love learning.

On 9/1/2024 at 3:16 PM, asena said:

Hey! 

I was in the same situation.

My grades were absolutely horrid because i was too anxious to even attend my high school classes. I don‘t know where you are from but what i did was research. 

What do you want to do? what is fun to you? if that‘s not realistic with your grades, what is possible?

I always wanted to study Psychology but my GPA (we call it NC in Germany) wasn‘t good enough, so i applied for educational science instead. If u want to go to Uni and have a family that will support it, there is always a way.

I would definitely recommend not applying right away. You‘re struggling at school so you most likely will struggle at Uni too (im speaking from experience. Attending my classes is absolute hell bc of my anxiety and depression)

Good luck and please don‘t stress too much.

Thank you ^^ I'll try to first sort out some mental health support before applying to anything. I really appreciate you sharing your experience since I feel less alone that way, mental health issues are horrible. Especially panic attacks T_T Or anything in general that makes your life complicated, I suppose :s

What about some sort of junior college or community college, so you can have smaller classes, less pressure & the opportunity to learn the ways you absorb information best? 

If you like journalism, try blogging or writing freelance.