The Troubling Case of Sherri Papini...

I recently watched the true crime/story docuseries "The Perfect Wife" on Netflix.  Has anyone seen it or familiar with this extremely troubling case?  And woman?

It documents the story of Sherry Papini, who craved attention and validation from her husband to such a monumental degree, she faked her own abduction for 22 days in 2016, leading law enforcement on a wild goose chase costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars, her husband in complete shambles, her children devastated, the entire community in tremendous fear, all because she wasn't getting the attention/validation she craved/needed from her husband!  

100% truth; it was eventually revealed after approximately six years.

She also suffered from Munchausen by Proxy in which she would put rubbing alcohol in a plastic bag, tie around her kids neck to inhale in order to make them sick so she could take them to the hospital drawing attention to herself.  This is a genuine mental disorder and also considered abusive..

Anyway after six years of perpetuating this abduction lie she ultimately confessed, took a plea and served 10 months in state prison, reduced from 18. 

While abducted which she arranged with her ex boyfriend, she inflicted serious SERIOUS wounds upon herself to make it appear more credible. 

She broke her own nose, starved herself losing close to 20 pounds on a 100 pound frame, burned herself, hit herself with metal rods leaving deep deep bruising.

She also manipulated her ex to severely wound her as well.  At her request he purchased a branding iron and Sherri instructed him to literally brand her back.

After 22 days, according to her own testimony, she got bored and annoyed as her husband never came to rescue her and she instructed her ex to drop her off all banged up and bruised, wounded, burned, broken nose, on the side of the road.

What in the world!!! This has got to be the sickest, most twisted, troubling case I think I have ever heard!  

I had a need to discuss it and thought I'd post, any thoughts? 

5 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Did they say how the kids are doing now?

Yes, they're doing great!  Well as great as can be expected. 

Keith (Sherri's ex and their dad) has sole custody.

According to Keith, they talk to their mom on the phone once or twice a month.

• Thanks 2

What saddens me, other then the affect upon her children, is how some people will use this as an excuse to question the disappearance of others and how damaging it is for real stories of abduction and abuse. Those are serious issues that cause real trauma for people and something that should be taken seriously.

She is writing two books currently. I sincerely hope she has been able to get help and becomes a better person , recognizing how destructive and damaging her actions have been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She did it for fame. I don't quite buy into that she was in a bad relationship as from her picture she appeared very happy and possibly a bit spoiled!

When someone is able to manipulate their "great marriage, great relationship" and ex boyfriend to the extent of tugging at heart strings and having him believe her husband doesn't appreciate her as she should be appreciated, then she's likely an experienced manipulator.

Probably a naively happy person who without knowing the methods of empathy, can sociopath their way into headlines.

What intrigues me is why certain cases get national exposure and miniseries done on them, while other cases don't seem to move the dial. 

Rather faked or real disappearances, missing white woman syndrome seems to be a thing that does exist.

And for more fun on people who decided to fool everyone by disappearing:

https://listverse.com/2019/01/09/10-people-who-faked-their-own-kidnappings/

Probably too because she is young and beautiful and had what looked to be the perfect life on the outside. The fact that she was able to manipulate multiple people and take advantage of the media's obsession with sensationalized crime stories only adds to the intrigue.

Unfortunately, society tends to focus more on these types of cases and it becomes a media frenzy.

Cult of personality.... and media and the public just fall right in line with it, giving the attention they so desparately crave. 

One reason I'm not a fan of true crime. Let's not celebrate these people by giving them more attention then they are worth. Would love to hear more stories of people doing good in the community instead. I'll keep the crime to my mystery novels.

I like true crime from time to time but for very different reasons. I like when the baddies gets caught and the victim's families get answers and some sense of closure. Families of victims live in constant hell because their loved ones have been taken from them in the most horrific of circumstances.

I also appreciate the investigative work that often goes into these cases and how justice is served through the criminal justice system. It's fascinating to see how detectives and forensic experts piece together evidence to solve crimes and bring perpetrators to justice.

True crime stories often shed light on important societal issues and injustices. This chick though, was just an entitled, manipulative you know what! Framing 2 Hispanics for her abduction has resulted in problems for law enforcement and people being victimized based on this coincidental lie!

Someone should take out a civil lawsuit on HER. Maybe someone already did, who knows.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I like true crime from time to time but for very different reasons. I like when the baddies gets caught and the victim's families get answers and some sense of closure. Families of victims live in constant hell because their loved ones have been taken from them in the most horrific of circumstances.

I also appreciate the investigative work that often goes into these cases and how justice is served through the criminal justice system. It's fascinating to see how detectives and forensic experts piece together evidence to solve crimes and bring perpetrators to justice.

True crime stories often shed light on important societal issues and injustices. This chick though, was just an entitled, manipulative you know what! Framing 2 Hispanics for her abduction has resulted in problems for law enforcement and people being victimized based on this coincidental lie!

Someone should take out a civil lawsuit on HER. Maybe someone already did, who knows.

That's why I like true crime too but I'm selective -prefer Dateline and 2020

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogacat said:

She did it for fame.

If by fame you mean attention YES!  100%

She admitted it. 

Upon her return, she got angry at her husband and said to him "you never came and got me."  Exact words.  What???

This is what happens when mental issues and one's insatiable need for attention and validation go unchecked and ignored.

The signs had been there for YEARS prior, this isn't something that suddenly surfaced out of the blue. 

I am not blaming her husband at all, I mean he was a victim and suffered dearly as well as her beautiful kids. 

But she was SICK and had been for a long time.

The Munchausen by Proxy adds another sick layer and I'm just thankful she didn't do permanent damage physically to her kids.

Emotionally? Those scars may never heal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Dateline and 20/20 both had episodes about it.

I watched them both, but the Netflix docuseries was way way more detailed. 

Yes- you know I may have watched.  These days I only do the podcast with rare exception.  We don't have netflix.