Am I understanding this right?

Ralph Waldo Emerson has always been a huge inspiration to me...but I'm a little confused about this quote:

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

By saying the last six words, he's essentially saying that if you've lived well, then yes, you have been happy. So he is in fact saying that the purpose of life is to be happy, as long as you've followed your heart and lived well, correct?

Thank you 🦋

2 minutes ago, woodsrose10 said:

Ralph Waldo Emerson has always been a huge inspiration to me...but I'm a little confused about this quote:

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

By saying the last six words, he's essentially saying that if you've lived well, then yes, you have been happy. So he is in fact saying that the purpose of life is to be happy, as long as you've followed your heart and lived well, correct?

Thank you 🦋

No, he doesn’t mention follow your heart. He is talking about your duty to society. If you have been dutiful and helped society you should be happy . 

• Like 4

I agree with @Seraphim  regarding Ralph Waldo Emerson's meaning.  However,  I don't believe it myself.  The purpose in my and my immediate family is to be indeed happy however way we navigate it prudently and shrewdly. 

I don't over do it with society either.  I'm a responsible citizen and no more.  Society doesn't define nor validate my happiness.  I'm responsible for my own happiness. 

• Like 1

Are you the one autist who doesnt understand even basic things about life? Just asking because I think you had different username.

Also he is saying that if you made some difference, and show positive human qualities, yes, your life would have a purpose. Different people have very different ways of making themselves happy. For example, for gamers its playing video games all day. But that doesnt mean they lead useful life. As they dont really make a difference on society or other people. Only on themselves.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, woodsrose10 said:

He also said this: "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." Isn't this kind of contradicting the "have lived and lived well" quote?

3 minutes ago, woodsrose10 said:

He also said this: "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." Isn't this kind of contradicting the "have lived and lived well" quote?

Not at all. He is talking about sticking to principles devoutly, when the rest of the world is taking the easy comfortable route.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coily said:

Not at all. He is talking about sticking to principles devoutly, when the rest of the world is taking the easy comfortable route.

19 minutes ago, Coily said:

We all have a duty to society, it's something that many of us have been blinded to. Now that duty can take many forms, but by existing in it, we are honor bound to make a difference (preferably a positive one).

But if you're making sure that you're "living well" and contributing to society---if you'd rather be a gamer than going out and doing something---how are you being yourself in the world that is trying to conform you?

1 minute ago, woodsrose10 said:

But if you're making sure that you're "living well" and contributing to society---if you'd rather be a gamer than going out and doing something---how are you being yourself in the world that is trying to conform you?

That's the beauty of  Transcendentalism, it's about removing yourself from the dictates of what society expects or demands you do to conform. But without removing yourself so far from that society that you cannot better it through living publicly your principles.

Think of it this way: You are in a park and most people there are skateboarding, you have no interest in skateboarding, you're off reading a book and enjoying the outdoors. Someone gets injured, and you happen to have the skills to help them. Does it make you happy to rush to the aid of a stranger? Doubtful. But you have an obligation to help. That also doesn't mean you have to pick up their skateboard and participate? No

• Like 3

I agree with most of the comments so beautifully laid out already, the one thing I will add is that to be happy and live well is more about following personal desires rather than waiting for external events or people to make one happy.

Life is very much about a personal journey and finding meaning and happiness within ourselves, and Emerson is reminding us that focusing on being useful, honorable, and compassionate will ultimately lead to a sense of fulfillment.

It's about finding our own individual purpose and making a positive impact on the world around us, rather than solely seeking personal happiness through external means

Now, I know that seems a bit contradictory to say that focusing on others will lead to personal fulfillment, but that's because we often underestimate the power and impact we can have on others. When we lead a life of service and truly make a difference in the world, that is where our true happiness and fulfillment lies.

So yes, the purpose of life is to be happy, but not in a superficial or temporary way. Rather, it is to find happiness and fulfillment through leading a purposeful and meaningful life in alignment with your values and beliefs. 

When we live in alignment with our authentic selves, we become more genuine and sincere in our actions and interactions with others. This, in turn, creates a ripple effect and can make a difference in the lives of those around us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 11:17 AM, yogacat said:

So yes, the purpose of life is to be happy, but not in a superficial or temporary way. Rather, it is to find happiness and fulfillment through leading a purposeful and meaningful life in alignment with your values and beliefs. 

Yes indeed, @yogacat🙂 👍

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 10:37 AM, woodsrose10 said:

By saying the last six words, he's essentially saying that if you've lived well, then yes, you have been happy.

I think you missed the key word "not," above, regarding "to be happy..."

I don't think Emerson had anything against happiness as a by-product of being useful, honorable, compassionate and making a difference in the world, but the pursuit of happiness itself is not what he regarded as the purpose of life, which is "living well" enough to leave a legacy behind in those to whom you have made "some difference".

As for being yourself in the world, this would require us to learn who we are "in the world" by operating within it. That would be in direct conflict with hiding from the world behind video games. His warning about conformity may have had to do with his controversial positions against religiosity and dogma.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey there! I actually remembered that you changed your user name. I like some of your posts because they're kind of philosophical. I did philosophy at university and really enjoyed it.

The way I understood this quote is that you can actually become happier or more content with life if you help others. For example, volunteering is often suggested to people who are depressed or lonely. Because volunteering is altruistic and it makes you feel rewarded that you're helping others. 

I guess also it's about leaving some kind of mark on the world because you did things for others. E.g. If someone was selfish and they die, maybe not many people would come to their funeral. But if someone was giving and generous, they'd have a lot of people there. And people would give speeches and things like that. They would be remembered by many.

That's just my interpretation but interpreting quotes or literature can also be subjective.