Mysterious Networking Event

Not really sure where to put this...

I just had the weirdest evening. I attended what was supposed to be a first time networking event, but it turned out to be the strangest hour of my life.

When I arrived at the designated location, I was surprised to find that it was actually a dimly lit craft brewery house. I knew it was a brewery house and restaurant and it was supposed to be like a food tasting event but it was pretty dark and empty. I thought maybe I had made a mistake and stumbled upon a different event, but I decided to go in and ask the bartender about the networking event.

To my surprise, the bartender told me that there was no networking event booked for that night. Feeling silly and confused, I decided to sit down and have a drink before heading back home.

As I was sipping my drink, a group of people walked in and sat at the table next to me. There was also a very attractive man that went to sit directly behind me when I sat down. I headed to the bathroom and came back and moved seats. He then sat right alongside me. After about 10 minutes he started talking to me. We had a lovely conversation and there were definitely some sparks flying. 😍

In any event, the group never showed up, I excused myself to the bathroom again, and when I came out I decided to leave. I said bye to the bartender and the man I had been talking to. I lightly touched his shoulder and thanked him for the interesting conversation. Then I excused myself and went home.

I am wondering if this networking event was actually a scam? Or, if I just went to the wrong place on the wrong night? I looked at the invite a few times and I can't see anywhere that I am mistaken.

Either way, it turned out to be a memorable and unexpected evening. I guess you never know what will happen when you try something new. At first I thought it was a set up and I was going to robbed or something 🥺, but it ended up being quite a different time.

Who knows, maybe I'll see the mysterious man again in the future.

But I think I need to report this group, no?

I would not have stayed once I learned there was no event booked and it didn't look like the proper venue.  I'd have left, contacted the organizer to try and see if the location was changed or I made a mistake.  I wouldn't assume it was a scam- did  you pay $?

Seems I figured it out. The networking event was outside in a separate area. I was inside. Still found it confusing that that wasn't mentioned on the event flyer or that the bartender didn't know that when I asked.

I feel like a noodle, lol. 

• Like 1

Think bartender should know if there was an event or not since they usually should know that due to a need to cater to people at the event. So, you maybe where on wrong place or it got canceled and they didnt told you. Better check that out. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MissCanuck said:

It couldn't have been much of an event if the bartender had no idea what you were talking about. 

Where did you get this invitation? 

It was a meet-up event. I spoke with the event organizer since and all is good! 

They met outside in a separate area (I didn't even realize there was an outside, separate area) is all and it wasn't mentioned on the event flyer that it would be outside.. so I was inside the whole time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, yogacat said:

It was a meet-up event. I spoke with the event organizer since and all is good! 

They met outside in a separate area (I didn't even realize there was an outside, separate area) is all and it wasn't mentioned on the event flyer that it would be outside.. so I was inside the whole time.

Was there a way to text the organizer or anyone else involved? I’d do that next time. I’m glad you ended up figuring it out. I agree poorly organized. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Batya33 said:

Was there a way to text the organizer or anyone else involved? I’d do that next time. I’m glad you ended up figuring it out. I agree poorly organized. 

Just through the app initially. But my phone doesn't have my login credentials saved for Meetup so I wasn't able to login and see if there were any updates and/or reach out to the event organizer while I was there.

I'll have to fix that on my phone for next time!

Yes, it would have been helpful if the event details included the part about meeting outside in the separate area so that I would have known where to go.

I've been to a few other meetups (not this one specifically) and never had an issue. 🤷‍♀️

Interesting evening for me nonetheless! I had an enjoyable conversation with another patron and now I can look back on this and laugh.

• Like 1

They should have sent someone inside just in case people were lost. Or put up a sign. Or at least notify the restaurant in advance. Guess they can learn from this for next time. 

Glad you still managed to have a nice time and do networking of a different kind. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, shouldhavelearned said:

So why didn't you exchange numbers?

Contact the organizers and see what they say about the event.

Now that you mention it, I don't know why I didn't exchange numbers with the man. I guess I got caught up in the weirdness of the whole situation.

I got fiery for a minute and was about to report this group. I'm glad that I took the time to reach out to the event organizer afterwards to see what happened.

I am going to mention to them that they need to change the language in their event details in the future. Who knows, maybe they will offer me a snack as compensation for the mix-up. 🙂

On 8/11/2024 at 2:58 PM, yogacat said:

I'm glad that I took the time to reach out to the event organizer afterwards to see what happened.

I just saw this!  I am glad you finally figured it out but curious, why did you not reach out to the organizer while INSIDE the restaurant?  Why wait until afterwards?  It doesn't matter now, just curious.

Re Mr. Mysterious, I am envisioning him kicking himself for not getting YOUR number and scrambling around trying to find you on FB or something!

Maybe he will create a post on craiglist.com in the section "Missed Connections"?  

You ever check those out?  It's fun reading and I am always checking to see if some random guy I talked to for two minutes while waiting online at the grocery (or someplace else) made a post looking for me.

Nothing so far, haha.😅

1 hour ago, rainbowsandroses said:

I just saw this!  I am glad you finally figured it out but curious, why did you not reach out to the organizer while INSIDE the restaurant?  Why wait until afterwards?  It doesn't matter now, just curious.

Re Mr. Mysterious, I am envisioning him kicking himself for not getting YOUR number and scrambling around trying to find you on FB or something!

Maybe he will create a post on craiglist.com in the section "Missed Connections"?  

You ever check those out?  It's fun reading and I am always checking to see if some random guy I talked to for two minutes while waiting online at the grocery (or someplace else) made a post looking for me.

Nothing so far, haha.

🤣I had a missed connection once, I met him on vacation and we spent several hours together. He asked me to stay longer but I had to leave early and we didn't exchange any info, like an idiot I know. I checked missed connections but never saw anything. Just a little fun fact!  

Mr. Mysterious was so mysterious, lol. I was so flustered and embarrassed about my situation that I was a bit distracted. I mean I was telling him a few humorous, personal stories and we were laughing and smiling but then I had to make a dash to the ladies room (to powder my nose...you know...).

When I came out I was a bit annoyed thinking I got scammed for some event (this was before I figured out what the mix-up was) that I decided to go home and I kind of abruptly left. Of course, I went up to Mr. M to express my enjoyment of our exchange and lightly touched his shoulder. I am so mad at myself now! Ugh..yeah lol

Ah, so I couldn't reach out to the event organizer because I did not have her contact info. It was through Meetup and I didn't have my login credentials for the app saved in my phone so was unable to contact her from the app while I was there.

Maybe I just got tooo distracted by Mr. M 😇 

• Like 1

Do they happen to have plans for a second event at the location? Or maybe you will develop a craving to try the restaurant out and go back. Then mystery guy will show up again and you will exchange information. It could be fate leading you to your destiny.

Or maybe I just gave you a nice fantasy to dream about. And I saw your other post, that your dreams can be prophetic.

At the minimum, it'll be a nice dream. 😘 

And now I'm wondering if I've been oblivious to interactions over the years and possibly missed out by not reading missed connections. Yes, that's it. Maybe my dream girl is just waiting for me to finally respond. Or not. But I'd like a nice dream as well.🧡

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yogacat said:

🤣I had a missed connection once, I met him on vacation and we spent several hours together. He asked me to stay longer but I had to leave early and we didn't exchange any info, like an idiot I know. I checked missed connections but never saw anything. Just a little fun fact!  

Mr. Mysterious was so mysterious, lol. I was so flustered and embarrassed about my situation that I was a bit distracted. I mean I was telling him a few humorous, personal stories and we were laughing and smiling but then I had to make a dash to the ladies room (to powder my nose...you know...).

When I came out I was a bit annoyed thinking I got scammed for some event (this was before I figured out what the mix-up was) that I decided to go home and I kind of abruptly left. Of course, I went up to Mr. M to express my enjoyment of our exchange and lightly touched his shoulder. I am so mad at myself now! Ugh..yeah lol

Ah, so I couldn't reach out to the event organizer because I did not have her contact info. It was through Meetup and I didn't have my login credentials for the app saved in my phone so was unable to contact her from the app while I was there.

Maybe I just got tooo distracted by Mr. M 😇 

In the 1940s my mom met a boy at the beach.  They were around 14.  I don't even know if they exchanged phone numbers but they made a plan to meet at a major subway station -specific area of the station - the next Saturday at a specific time.  She showed up he did not. I really don't know how she knew this but she knew that actually he had meant the other major station nearby.  A true missed connection and she never saw him again.  She met my dad in the early 50s at a party so it all -worked out.  My sister used to write boy's numbers down on napkins -like a bar napkin - and lose the napkin.  Sigh.  I was different -I never took the boy's number.  Either he took mine or my business card later on or -bye bye.  I made one exception and was sorry I did - I called him when he didn't call me and I realized he didn't call me cause he was not that into me.  We met at a really cool new bar -I was in my early 20s.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Batya33 said:

In the 1940s my mom met a boy at the beach.  They were around 14.  I don't even know if they exchanged phone numbers but they made a plan to meet at a major subway station -specific area of the station - the next Saturday at a specific time.  She showed up he did not. I really don't know how she knew this but she knew that actually he had meant the other major station nearby.  A true missed connection and she never saw him again.  She met my dad in the early 50s at a party so it all -worked out.  My sister used to write boy's numbers down on napkins -like a bar napkin - and lose the napkin.  Sigh.  I was different -I never took the boy's number.  Either he took mine or my business card later on or -bye bye.  I made one exception and was sorry I did - I called him when he didn't call me and I realized he didn't call me cause he was not that into me.  We met at a really cool new bar -I was in my early 20s. 

Awe, that's such a bummer he didn't show up! Was not meant to be for some reason. That's so interesting though I honestly never would have thought to meet someone at a subway station. That's so crazy how your mom even knew which station to go to. I would have gone to the wrong one, haha. 

The man I met on vacation, I was supposed to meet up with him before I left but I declined to because of the money it would take to change flights plus I figured it was just nice meeting but nothing was going to come of us meeting again. I told him that though. But I was curious to see if he posted on missed connections afterwards, lol.  I didn't mind once giving a guy my phone number, he had been messaging me online and gave me his number. Instead, I gave him mine and he called. We dated for a few months. I'm a bit funny about giving my phone number out initially. Some instances they have been really pushy for it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Do they happen to have plans for a second event at the location? Or maybe you will develop a craving to try the restaurant out and go back. Then mystery guy will show up again and you will exchange information. It could be fate leading you to your destiny.

Or maybe I just gave you a nice fantasy to dream about. And I saw your other post, that your dreams can be prophetic.

At the minimum, it'll be a nice dream. 😘 

And now I'm wondering if I've been oblivious to interactions over the years and possibly missed out by not reading missed connections. Yes, that's it. Maybe my dream girl is just waiting for me to finally respond. Or not. But I'd like a nice dream as well.🧡

Shys, I like the way you think! 🥰

Yes, I believe that they do! So, I will go back. I just have to make sure I'm not sitting in the corner eating a bowl of guac and have green on my face! 

That would make for an interesting second impression! 

See, all these years and you'll never know if there was a Missed Connection out there for you.  Who knows, maybe your dream girl is just waiting for you....😚

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

I just have to make sure I'm not sitting in the corner eating a bowl of guac and have green on my face! 

That would make for an interesting second impression! 

Save that for later on when things are a bit more intimate and he can help clean the guac from your face. I'll leave it up to you how he does it. 😉

Oh, that song. Wonder how many people realize it's about a couple that are both planning on cheating on each other. Not sure of the Pina Coladas will really solve their problems. 

Off to find my missed connection....

• Haha 1