New McDonald's Burger!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmoney/consumer/article-13685143/mcdonalds-launches-new-bigger-burger-canada-america.html

Honestly, just look at it, are they trying to kill us or what?  Serious question!

This burger is 1000+ calories and lord only knows how much saturated fat.

Ok I know it's our choice to eat it, but I still ask WHY??.  This can't be good for ANYONE!

Sorry guys but this is a real peeve of mine especially since after two bouts with Covid and feeling like utter crap ever since, I eat only lean proteins (fish, chicken), veggies pureed which I've learned to do and delish!  Fruits blended in shakes, no sugar and here's is what I think has improved my health most of all - probiotics!

Both in food (yogurt and unfiltered milk, sauerkraut, and other fermented food) and two tables per day with only the best Lactobacillius strains.

And I'm not even exaggerating but I feel like 95%, no 100% better!  My sleep, my energy, my mood, my skin, everything!

So why this burger McDonald's?  Really?  Was this really necessary to increase revenue?

It kills people!

Okay rant over guys, thanks for listening and all thoughts welcome.😄

And it takes like .50 cents to make it probably wholesale and probably $6 for it🤷‍♂️

Of course fast food companies like McDonald's prioritize profit over their customers' health. Fast food is a treat, not a staple diet, and people can be careful not to overindulge. I think individuals should have the freedom to purchase items within their means but businesses often restrict our options more than we realize.. If you buy fast food thinking its cheaper, think again.

• Thanks 1

I know yoga; I guess I feel about it the way I feel about tobacco companies - they know they manufacture a product that literally kills when consumed in excess but they don't care.

And many folks do consume in excess that's the problem.  Many live in poverty, and those numbers are increasing.

McDonald's is cheap and it seems like these big corporations capitalize on that to put money in their pockets. 

An exaggeration of sorts but I liken it to manslaughter in a way.

Course it's all legal, same with tobacco and totally our choice to consume these poisons, it still irks me though!

I find it irresponsible, jmo

Which is scarier? The Arch Burger or the Double Big Mac? Personally, never got the point of a Big Mac. Why do you need the extra bun? 

And fast food has gotten anything but cheap. I've seen stories that they are actually losing business due to raising prices. Between the cost to the wallet and cost to health, it's not really a good option anymore.

Also love yogurt and fruits. My go to snack is nuts. Of course, I'm a bit nutty so that makes sense. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ShySoul said:

Which is scarier? The Arch Burger or the Double Big Mac? Personally, never got the point of a Big Mac. Why do you need the extra bun? 

And fast food has gotten anything but cheap. I've seen stories that they are actually losing business due to raising prices. Between the cost to the wallet and cost to health, it's not really a good option anymore.

Also love yogurt and fruits. My go to snack is nuts. Of course, I'm a bit nutty so that makes sense. 😁

I love nuts unfortunately I can’t eat them . 😓 They make me sick . I like berries but can’t eat too much due to the natural sugar. 

• Thanks 1

Oh for sure. It's all systemized and deep seeded, making it difficult for people to rise above such a low standard of living. 

Corporations too also have a responsibility to provide accurate and transparent information about their products and not manipulate or exploit vulnerable populations. We each have the right and the freedom to buy whatever we can afford. Sadly commercial forces limit that freedom more than we think.

I like the odd fast food trip only because I try very hard to eat healthy 95% of the time and every now and then I want to treat myself. But I also recognize the privilege I have in being able to make that choice and afford healthier options. 

But you know what's really great? Seeing people come together to support small local businesses and farms, promoting sustainable and ethical practices. A lot of these fast food companies were built on the American Dream, and started as family businesses in small towns, but it's so hard to come up against their massive advertising budgets. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Thanks for this^!  😂

Perhaps I need to take a more lighthearted approach but honestly that new burger - a little over 1000 calories?

Really????  LOL

P.S.  I actually love the Big Mac and Burger King's quarter pounder with cheese, both of these are half the calories of the new McDonald's BUT I still stay away because I know I will be sick afterwards, literally. 

Anyway, like I said just a vent, the ad popped up on my phone and just looking at it, I felt kind of ill. 

But thanks! 😀

The last time I went to McDonalds a few years ago I literally laughed out loud. The burger was so tiny, I can not even exaggerate how pathetic it was. I think may this is their "solution" to people complaining about their shrinkflation while prices go up. But people are moving away from it naturally in Canada. We want value and this isn't it. I can go get a local burger for the same price that is amazing and support my local guys too. 

Umm yeah I like burgers. And cheese. And fried chicken. And chocolate. And bread. And coffee and wine. Lol. But most of the time it's lean protein and veg and black coffee no cream so when I feast, I'm not buying Rotten Ronnie's these days! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is my local burger with onions and bacon and cheese inside. Make your burgers wider, not taller Americans! Who can even eat tall burgers? Are you all having 20cm wide mouth span? 

Also McDonalds burgers are so small its embarrassing. Not to mention look so artificial and being done on that artificial light. 

najlepse_jelo_od_mlevenog_mesa_gurmanska_pljeskavica_sa_lukom_i_dimljenom_slaninom_recept_213236330.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

The last time I went to McDonalds a few years ago I literally laughed out loud. The burger was so tiny, I can not even exaggerate how pathetic it was. I think may this is their "solution" to people complaining about their shrinkflation while prices go up. But people are moving away from it naturally in Canada. We want value and this isn't it. I can go get a local burger for the same price that is amazing and support my local guys too. 

Umm yeah I like burgers. And cheese. And fried chicken. And chocolate. And bread. And coffee and wine. Lol. But most of the time it's lean protein and veg and black coffee no cream so when I feast, I'm not buying Rotten Ronnie's these days! 

At my age and my body's limits I really can't eat burgers anymore - don't agree with me -but I used to love them and was a total carnivore my last trimester lol but I frequented two very small "chains" -one a restaurant my dad took me to in the 1970s and was still so good - and one newer one. I will eat McD's grilled chicken on a road trip if no other options.  It doesn't make me sick (or I'll do the fried but take skin off -works for me)

I don't think all fast food is created equal.  I go to my local sub sandwich chain and I simply choose healthier ingredients and condiments and I'm a fan of not eating all the bread -open faced works for me.  (Not a fan of lettuce wraps nor will I eat lettuce anymore out).  So if I have lean turkey and a slice of cheese and veggies and mustard and dollop of mayo -to me that's -fine.

I also love when a restaurant or chain makes veggie burgers well and homemade -I'm sort of picky about those -again it's fast food but to me feels reasonable as an occasional meal.  My son likes burritos and chooses reasonable stuff to put inside and doesn't eat the greasy taco chips.  

And -good pizza -is "fast food" too -but yes I enjoy it although again -I'm picky!

As a side note I really enjoyed the movie/documentary and at least one of the books about McDs.  I've had a big mac once in my life over 30 years ago -not for me.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I looked up the other monstrosity I could think of - Wendy's Triple Baconator. The verdict: 1350 calories, 40g saturated fat (200% daily value), 345mg cholestrol (115%), 2780mg sodium (121%). I hereby rename this Heart Attack Waiting to Happen.

Actually felt ill yesterday. Wonder if just seeing the McDonalds burgers might have contributed. 🤮

https://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=286675#:~:text=There are 1350 calories in 1 burger of Wendy's Baconator Triple.&text=* The % Daily Value (DV,used for general nutrition advice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MissCanuck said:

Why anyone eats at McDonalds at all escapes me. 

The value perhaps?  And it is flavorful despite the fact it's poison.🙄  Well, not the fries, I like the fries and they're made with real potatoes, no fillers. 

Their saving grace. 

They recently launched the new $5.00 menu which is:

McDouble Cheeseburger or McChicken, small fries, four-piece Chicken McNuggets (which actually has no chicken, it's all fillers that taste like chicken and deep fried) and a small soft drink.

Can't get much around here for $5.00, let alone four items.

For some families on a very tight budget, that meal will feed two kids and is becoming more common.  

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/22/food/mcdonalds-5-dollar-meal-deal/index.html

9 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

This is my local burger with onions and bacon and cheese inside. Make your burgers wider, not taller Americans! Who can even eat tall burgers? Are you all having 20cm wide mouth span? 

Also McDonalds burgers are so small its embarrassing. Not to mention look so artificial and being done on that artificial light. 

najlepse_jelo_od_mlevenog_mesa_gurmanska_pljeskavica_sa_lukom_i_dimljenom_slaninom_recept_213236330.jpg

That looks so good. The bread looks homemade. There's a good meat to bread ratio. Yes!! Totally agree with burgers being wide rather than tall so you can't get everything in a bite. There's a history where I am of Greek run burger joints. They make them with the Greek style meat sauce and onions and mustard, and a paper bag full of homemade fries. Healthy? God, no. But once in a while it's so good!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Out of curiosity I looked up the other monstrosity I could think of - Wendy's Triple Baconator. The verdict: 1350 calories, 40g saturated fat (200% daily value), 345mg cholestrol (115%), 2780mg sodium (121%). I hereby rename this Heart Attack Waiting to Happen.

Actually felt ill yesterday. Wonder if just seeing the McDonalds burgers might have contributed. 🤮

https://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=286675#:~:text=There are 1350 calories in 1 burger of Wendy's Baconator Triple.&text=* The % Daily Value (DV,used for general nutrition advice.

What???!!  Where is the shocking emoji?  I liked yours though and agree!!!

I'm gonna have to research this but if someone actually did have a heart attack and died after consuming a few of these, if they could or have brought a civil lawsuit against the corporation.

Tobacco companies have been sued and lost!  So why not these fast food corporations?

I mean that burger from Wendy's is just insane!  

Thnx for posting, wow.

I like a good plant-based burger, my fave are Morningstar Farms Veggies Grillers.  I have a bag in my freezer now.   I really like the flavor!  140 calories, 6 grams of fat.

And they come in assorted like the Grillers Pizza burger which has seasonings that taste like pizza!  Super flavorful.

I really enjoy patty melts so it's the burger, one thinly-sliced Swiss or Muenster cheese, sautéed onions, thinly-sliced rye with canola oil, grilled NOT fried. 

Approximately 400-500 calories depending on how thin the cheese and bread and how much oil.

But more than that, it's healthy!   I might actually have one today! 

17 hours ago, yogacat said:

But you know what's really great? Seeing people come together to support small local businesses and farms, promoting sustainable and ethical practices. 

We try to look up and support local mom and pop places whenever we can. Food is usually way better then the standard chains. And the service is nicer. One of our spots the owner not only served us, but recognized us each time and even invited us to her Christmas party.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

They recently launched the new $5.00 menu which is:

Remember when it was a dollar menu? Now inflation and corporate greed gives us the five dollar menu. Add in the shrinkflation of the meals getting smaller and they are squeezing every cent they can out of us. Oh for the days of a five dollar footlong...

Interestingly Taco Bell gives the best deal on the value meals: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/life/food/2024/07/20/which-fast-food-meal-deal-is-best-value-mcdonalds-taco-bell-wendys-popeyes-burger-king/74454750007/

Still need to try the plant based burger. Have been meaning to switch over.

Personally, if I treat myself it's going to be the Whopper. At least they through on enough lettuce for me to pretend it's a salad. 😁

33 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

I'm gonna have to research this but if someone actually did have a heart attack and died after consuming a few of these, if they could or have brought a civil lawsuit against the corporation.

Basically, "Cheeseburger bill" wanted to prevents that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Responsibility_in_Food_Consumption_Act#:~:text=The American Personal Responsibility in,action suits by obese consumers.

The Act stated that food-producing or retailing corporations cannot be legally held responsible for obesity, heart disease, or other health-related issues caused by consumption of their food, save for situations where actual food quality or handling was held responsible for such issues. 

But it didnt take off so I guess you can sue. Trouble is that nobody is forcing you to eat it. With tobacco, you are basically addicted to it because nicotine is addictive substance. So there are basis for suing somebody who is basically addicting you to their harmful product. Nobody is forcing you to eat 1300 calories in one sitting nore to eat multiple of those nore there are addictive to make you eat 3 of them. So aside of mishandling a product quality, there are rarely basis to sue. Than again its America so I wouldnt be surprised that you can sue them even for this. 

Edit

Most I could found are cases like this

On May 10, 2023, a verdict rendered by a jury found that McDonald's and a franchise holder were held responsible for the injuries sustained by Olivia Carballo, a four-year-old who suffered second-degree burns from a McNugget.[53] A jury awarded the family $800,000.[54]

McNugget injury lol

3 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

Nobody is forcing you to eat 1300 calories in one sitting nore to eat multiple of those nore there are addictive to make you eat 3 of them. So aside of mishandling a product quality, there are rarely basis to sue.

There is research that the additives put in to make foods tastier can be addictive. I'm sure there are all sorts of legal manuevering going on to protect companies though. And yes, it is up to individual people to decide to eat or not. But it seems like a real grey area on how much responsibility falls to each side.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

I guess you can sue. Trouble is that nobody is forcing you to eat it.

^^I know, tobacco companies use the same defense.  They even have a warning on the box!

They've still lost.

The best case I read about was where the plaintiff's lawyers argued that their client took responsibility (as she should, it was HER choice to smoke!) but also asserted that the tobacco company also bears some responsibility knowing full well their product kills.

With the billions and billions of dollars these companies rake in annually (in 2022 approximately 915 billion) the jury awarded the plaintiff's family less than one day's profits --  5 million.

12 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

There is research that the additives put in to make foods tastier can be addictive. I'm sure there are all sorts of legal manuevering going on to protect companies though. And yes, it is up to individual people to decide to eat or not. But it seems like a real grey area on how much responsibility falls to each side.

Very true, same with tobacco.  And soft drinks AND some energy drinks which kids have died from when consuming too much of.

The advertisements DON'T help either!

All to put money in their pockets.

That said, people are NOT blameless!  I fully acknowledge that.