Rattling/Spooky Dreams

Alright the weirdest thing just happened.

I had a dream last night (I used to recall my dreams every night, but haven't been in months).

Anyway, in this dream, the younger brother of my best male friend from when I was 8 reached out to me. I never talk to my friend's brother in real life. He gave me something cryptic about life (the details are fuzzy) ... And then asked me to send me my address so he could send me something, I don't recall if he said what it was. But then I woke up...

Later today I was scrolling through my social media feed. Well, this person NEVER posts. And what he did post freaked me out a bit. It was a picture of a woman from a movie that when we were all kids, said it reminded us of our Aunt (the sister of my father) that is now deceased. I was very close with this Aunt.

The fact that I dreamt of him reaching out to me and then he posts something that takes me back to a specific memory with that aunt?

I don't know if it's just coincidence or if there is some sort of connection between my dream and his post. It definitely spooked me out a bit though. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrina said:

I think many people have psychic abilities if they are in tune. I've had two dreams that came true. 

One was this: ValuJet Airlines Flight 592 was a regularly scheduled flight from Miami to Atlanta. On May 11, 1996, the ValuJet Airlines McDonnell Douglas DC-9 operating the route crashed into the Everglades about 10 minutes after departing Miami as a result of a fire in the cargo compartment probably caused by mislabeled and improperly stored hazardous cargo. All 110 people on board were killed.

I worked at the Miami Airport at the time and told my co-worker 3 days before the happening of my dream. That I was standing in some remote area without houses and buildings, like I was in the Everglades, and saw a plane that was on fire a little ways back from the cockpit, and I knew it was crashing but lost sight of it because of the trees. I didn't see any writing on the plane, labeling its airline. When I saw the video on the news, the fire was in the same location I'd explained to my co-worker.

Of course after the crash, he was frantically calling me on my office phone, freaked out that my dream was so spot on. I said, "Well, it didn't do any good since I couldn't warn anybody without a plane's specifics. Not that anybody would've believe me, anyway."

Whoa. That must have really freaked you out. The fact that you even had details like there were no buildings or houses nearby and the location of the fire on the plane is pretty amazing. It's understandable that your co-worker was freaked out as well. Have you had any other dreams like this since then? 

I also once had a similar dream of a plane crashing and the next day, a news story broke about a commercial aircraft crashing in a different part of the world. It wasn't the exact same scenario as in my dream, but it still felt eerie.

• Like 1

Years before that, I had a dream about a former co-worker when I worked on the base in Guantanamo Cuba. This ended up as a foot-in-my-mouth really stupid thing to tell her, which of course in hindsight, I couldn't believe how stupid I was. 

This was a woman I barely encountered at work. Sometimes, I'd have to go into her office and saw a photo of her husband and two children. That's all I knew of her personal life. And then I moved into another position elsewhere, hadn't seen her in a year and hadn't heard a thing about her, then bumped into her. I said, Oh, my God. You might get a kick out of this, but I just had the stupidest dream about you. That you were crying and screaming that your husband was fooling around with some hussy.

She narrowed her eyes at me and said, "As a matter of fact, I'm getting a divorce."

Normally, I'm not that stupid (was in my early 20s at the time) and why I would say such a thing to an acquaintance . . . ugh.

Other stuff is more minor, like my brother and I dreaming of trains on the same night. Or, not involving dreams, there are a few people whom I really start thinking about strongly and then they call. And I'm not a person who receives a lot of calls because I'm not a big phone person.

Anyway, fun stuff to consider. I think dogs mental capabilities even surpass humans in their mental capabilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yogacat said:

I was very close with this Aunt.

Hello YC!
I like to think of dreams as our way of whispering to ourselves, with every aspect of a given dream being a part of our own conversion of abstract experiences into private symbols that we can remember as we exit the dream state. It's our way of taking something beyond our brain's capacity to interpret and cramming it into a shorthand that's beyond language. That's why a dream can feel as though we've experienced it for hours, even while a sleep study might only measure a minute or less of REM dream activity.

It sounds as though you may be open to some communication with your Aunt. You've combed your memory to find a subtle, indirect way of prompting yourself to go there without scaring yourself by any conscious full-on contact while you warm up to the idea.

You might consider journalling her a letter before sleep, and even thinking of her as you fall asleep.

Nice work!

• Like 3

Friend

Dreams about friends reflects parts of the dreamer personality that is not fully understood. Essentially these so called friends are a part your past or who you used to be. How they act in the dream is a mirror of what is taking place within the dreamer. You may see qualities in them you want to incorporate within yourself.

Gift

Gifts are always nice and they make you feel cared for and loved. Gifts are positive dream symbol that represent a hidden surprise or abundance in your life. If you are giving a gift in your dream it taps into your own special “gifts” you give others – a symbol of healing and compassion.

From dream interpretations online. Essentially, not really something spooky. And not the omen of bad things.

It is interesting that you dreamed of a person who did post something the very next day. Many do believe that dreams carry prophetic component. Though it could be explained by you being hyper focused on his posting so you noticed something you maybe wouldnt otherwise. Still very "prophetic" and interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow to both YC and Andrina!!  YC I would have been weirded out too! 

Andrina - you remind me of the past me -I'd have blurted that hussy comment out too - and regretted it.  I'm -sorry you were right!  And the plane crash -yes of course warning anyone would not have worked.  I can't imagine how you must have felt -well I can a little but....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, catfeeder said:

Hello YC!
I like to think of dreams as our way of whispering to ourselves, with every aspect of a given dream being a part of our own conversion of abstract experiences into private symbols that we can remember as we exit the dream state. It's our way of taking something beyond our brain's capacity to interpret and cramming it into a shorthand that's beyond language. That's why a dream can feel as though we've experienced it for hours, even while a sleep study might only measure a minute or less of REM dream activity.

It sounds as though you may be open to some communication with your Aunt. You've combed your memory to find a subtle, indirect way of prompting yourself to go there without scaring yourself by any conscious full-on contact while you warm up to the idea.

You might consider journalling her a letter before sleep, and even thinking of her as you fall asleep.

Nice work!

Thanks!

I'm spiritual (I believe in God) and believe in signs but I am not sure that I believe that I can channel that to communicating with a person that is no longer living. Maybe it's just my subconscious creating dreams based on my thoughts and emotions.

It was weird though, I myself am not on social media very much and it was one of the first things I saw when I randomly decided to log on today. I definitely feel it was a sign of some sorts especially because I never talk to this person and he popped into my dream the night before, and then he posts a picture the following day of an actress that he and I (along with his older brother and Aunt's son) we all used to joke about as kids as resembling my Aunt.

I'm not sure if it's related to my Aunt or just a weird coincidence.

I know also that when we dream, our mind is regenerating/repairing itself and organizing information. It could be that our brain is just making connections between our memories and thoughts. But who knows, maybe there is something more to it.

Pretty amazing some scientists say we know more about the universe versus the human brain.

Either way, it was an interesting experience and definitely got me thinking. Thank you for your interpretation and suggestion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, yogacat said:

I know also that when we dream, our mind is regenerating/repairing itself and organizing information. It could be that our brain is just making connections between our memories and thoughts. But who knows, maybe there is something more to it.

I read somewhere -don't quote me -that not dreaming at all is not the best thing -like if  you take a sleeping pill or aid and you have that sort of deep dreamless sleep doesn't that also mean you're not getting REM sleep?

2 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I read somewhere -don't quote me -that not dreaming at all is not the best thing -like if  you take a sleeping pill or aid and you have that sort of deep dreamless sleep doesn't that also mean you're not getting REM sleep?

I always thought not dreaming meant we're blocking them out because deep down inside whether we remember we're struggling with a chaotic influence on our minds and can't let go and just chill in our sleep zone. Like a big mental fart. 🧨

Most of my life I always recalled my dreams daily so vividly but for the past few months not so much.

Agree, I think if someone takes a sleeping pill that it would induce a deeper sleep, albeit synthetic, with less or no rem sleep and thus invariably a decrease in dream recall. And we need REM for consolidation and recall of dreams.

I typically sleep soundly and don't take any aids for sleep so not sure where the blockage is from. lol

I think it's good when we dream and are able to recall it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I can just mean that you don't remember the dreams.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, yogacat said:

I am not sure that I believe that I can channel that to communicating with a person that is no longer living. Maybe it's just my subconscious creating dreams based on my thoughts and emotions.

Okay, and this limit can be why you took the roundabout route to dealing with her. Whether or not you're open to exploring some direct dreams about your Aunt is up to you, and you get to decide what it means to you. It could be about resolving some grief about losing her, or it could just be about missing her and incorporating memories of her into your dream.

The intriguing part about your indirect route is that the neutral party appears to have cooperated.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

Okay, and this limit can be why you took the roundabout route to dealing with her. Whether or not you're open to exploring some direct dreams about your Aunt is up to you, and you get to decide what it means to you. It could be about resolving some grief about losing her, or it could just be about missing her and incorporating memories of her into your dream.

The intriguing part about your indirect route is that the neutral party appears to have cooperated.

That's highly insightful and it makes a lot of sense. But, I'm not sure I follow about the part where you say "I took the roundabout route to dealing with her." Can you explain that a bit more?

1 minute ago, Coily said:

I have a few thoughts on this whole topic, having had a few too many prophetic dreams.

First layer is your subconscious is taking data from the waking world and processing this through the form of a dream. Perhaps you saw some precursor post on social media which triggered an old memory, and built upon that data.

Second layer is the something akin to wish fulfillment, you made a conscious effort at some point to get some information to this guy through back channels of social media; and he made a post seeing the prompt.

Third layer is that to some degree this was so subconscious communication between the two of you that resulted in the waking world actions. Let me explain, as we humans operate on electromagnetic fields, it's quite possible that you two were "on frequency" at this particular time, as you both had thoughts turning to your Aunt. As electromagnetic energy operates on harmonics, it's possible you were in some sort of communication

Fourth Layer is that this was purely prophetic.

The human mind and body is a lot more complex than we usually give it credit for. I recall a dream that I had repeatedly for a week about steak cubes at the local grocery. I went there on a Friday, met the woman in my dream; we both had the same dream about meeting each other there. Ironically we were in the same class at Uni.

Mind blown Coily!

Everything you said. Wow. 

And having the same dream as your classmate gave me the shivers. 

Just goes to show how awesome the human mind is and, well, LIFE.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, yogacat said:

That's highly insightful and it makes a lot of sense. But, I'm not sure I follow about the part where you say "I took the roundabout route to dealing with her." Can you explain that a bit more?

Sure. You focused on a neutral party--the guy who posted the reminder of your Aunt--rather than directly on your Aunt herself. That's what I meant by 'roundabout'.

This could either be because conjuring her in your dream was too emotionally charged for you, so you took a more comfortable route. By signaling the guy, you may have prompted him to recall the pic and post it, OR, maybe he found the pic the night before and was thinking of it (and possibly you) before bed or in his sleep, and you read him--you picked that up from him.

Either way, you and the neutral guy synched, which is fun, isn't it? You may want to do some reading on something called an 'astral plane'. It may be of interest to you because you've proven to yourself that you may own the ability to access it.

My maternal grandmother was Catholic, but she was also gently metaphysical and raised my sister and me to believe that such contacts were perfectly natural. She would typically call us inside from playing to concentrate on someone to send them a message. We'd maybe tell Grandpa to pick something up from the store, or we'd pray for someone, or we'd tell someone we were coming over. Phones were 'party lines' back then and not always accessible. We just grew up believing that everybody did this. 

While most adults have squelched these natural tendencies in children over time, my Grandma, and later, my Aunt, have focused on enlivening these abilities in themselves and in us. We don't view these natural skills as being specific to us or only to those who work on them. They can be enlivened in anyone, because they are no more uncommon or unnatural than any other perception, such as though hearing or seeing. They simply augment physical perceptions.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Coily said:

I have a few thoughts on this whole topic, having had a few too many prophetic dreams.

First layer is your subconscious is taking data from the waking world and processing this through the form of a dream. Perhaps you saw some precursor post on social media which triggered an old memory, and built upon that data.

Second layer is the something akin to wish fulfillment, you made a conscious effort at some point to get some information to this guy through back channels of social media; and he made a post seeing the prompt.

Third layer is that to some degree this was so subconscious communication between the two of you that resulted in the waking world actions. Let me explain, as we humans operate on electromagnetic fields, it's quite possible that you two were "on frequency" at this particular time, as you both had thoughts turning to your Aunt. As electromagnetic energy operates on harmonics, it's possible you were in some sort of communication

Fourth Layer is that this was purely prophetic.

The human mind and body is a lot more complex than we usually give it credit for. I recall a dream that I had repeatedly for a week about steak cubes at the local grocery. I went there on a Friday, met the woman in my dream; we both had the same dream about meeting each other there. Ironically we were in the same class at Uni.

Excellent and clear explanation, Coily! Most people are raised to dismiss this 'frequency' stuff and carry on without developing it, despite owning it at max power when we are pre-verbal. As we grow more communicative, our abilities become focused more on verbal instructions and less on the abilities we naturally used to soak up ALL inputs like a sponge. This is ironic, because these abilities are part of how we were able to master language in the first place.

So while these abilities are called 'extra-sensory,' that's only because they don't involve an identifiable part of the body such as ears, eyes or touch. But we all own them, and it's just a matter of how interested we may be in focusing on using them. Some people get too frustrated, just as with trying to use our less dominant hand to perform functions easily done with the other hand, or learning a language that's foreign to us. But it's experiences like this that can open us to expanding these abilities. It's just a matter of remaining open and exploring ways of learning that don't intimidate or frustrate to the degree of abandonment.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

You may want to do some reading on something called an 'astral plane'. It may be of interest to you because you've proven to yourself that you may own the ability to access it.

I just want to address this term ^^^ as something that I view as having various spiritual beliefs imposed on it in a literal or metaphorical way. It can be viewed through a cultural lens rather than something that requires an adoption of spiritual beliefs that aren't plausible to you.

Because I view sensory perceptions as natural, I don't impose spiritual beliefs on anything that is either easily explained by science today--or will be explained as such in the future. But I do respect religious, spiritual and cultural projections onto natural things. It's a wonderful form of 'parallel' learning for me, in that I can appreciate how people adopt certain 'stories' to explain things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, catfeeder said:

Either way, you and the neutral guy synched, which is fun, isn't it? You may want to do some reading on something called an 'astral plane'. It may be of interest to you because you've proven to yourself that you may own the ability to access it.

Yes, it is fun! A little spooky, too. 

You may want to do some reading on something called an 'astral plane'.

I just might!

With regard to this Aunt, she is the sister of my father. One night (a couple years ago), I had a dream of her in it. I hadn't dreamed of her since she passed, neither did my Father. Well, the very next day, I was chatting with my father on the phone (before his stroke and before he came and lived with me), he told me had a dream of her too the same night as me. It was such a "coincidence" and really classic manifestation of how he and I resonated with each other. It definitely fits into the astral concept!

Thanks so much for your reply, so interesting! You're quite insightful and perceptive.

59 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

I just want to address this term ^^^ as something that I view as having various spiritual beliefs imposed on it in a literal or metaphorical way. It can be viewed through a cultural lens rather than something that requires an adoption of spiritual beliefs that aren't plausible to you.

Because I view sensory perceptions as natural, I don't impose spiritual beliefs on anything that is either easily explained by science today--or will be explained as such in the future. But I do respect religious, spiritual and cultural projections onto natural things. It's a wonderful form of 'parallel' learning for me, in that I can appreciate how people adopt certain 'stories' to explain things.

I don't find it as imposing belief, as I view as an energetic or vibrational level of consciousness or existence, much like how radio frequencies exist layered over one another.

I don't necessarily attribute any specific religious or spiritual beliefs to it, but find it to be a concept that aligns with my own understanding of the natural world and energy. But, everyone is entitled to their own interpretation and understanding.

I still too believe in God. So, I appreciate Science AND Religious/Spiritual beliefs. Some concepts I tend to agree with, others not so much. "Parallel learning" is a great way to describe it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

One night (a couple years ago), I had a dream of her in it. I hadn't dreamed of her since she passed, neither did my Father. Well, the very next day, I was chatting with my father on the phone (before his stroke and before he came and lived with me), he told me had a dream of her too the same night as me. It was such a "coincidence" and really classic manifestation of how he and I resonated with each other. It definitely fits into the astral concept!

Fabulous! So great that you had this intimate 'coincidence' with your Dad.

For years after my Grandma passed, my sister and I both felt ripped off because she was our spiritual teacher, yet remained NC in our dreams or feelings of contact for so long. Then out of the blue I dreamt of Grandma meeting me in a familiar place in the woods near my childhood home, and she handed me a white rose and embraced me. Then she handed me one for my sister, which was meaningful because she always asked me to please love and be close to my sister, which as a kid, I'd always scoffed at to her heartbreak.

That morning, my sister called me, which was not her habit from college, especially during her senior exams, to tell me she'd had a dream of Grandma coming out of the ocean, where she was an expert swimmer and had taught us to body surf in high tides. Sister's friends were enjoying a swim, but sister couldn't because she was burdened with holding a baby. Grandma took the baby from her so she could go play with her friends.

So we both had our interactions with Grandma that same night, after years of NC, and we both understood the messages, and we were both grateful and moved and bonded even closer together from this. While I have countless similar stories about contact with people, past and present, over my lifetime, I'd like to turn this back to your experience.

I think you can appreciate why it might be a good thing to include your Aunt in your thoughts before sleeping. I don't imply that this 'must' be a connection with her disembodied energy rather than something psychologically healing within you, I just believe that given she's been someone who you've trusted intimately, you may want to open the channels to explore any privately important messages or lessons you might gain from the experience.

Sending you (((good vibes))),
Cat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, catfeeder said:

Fabulous! So great that you had this intimate 'coincidence' with your Dad.

For years after my Grandma passed, my sister and I both felt ripped off because she was our spiritual teacher, yet remained NC in our dreams or feelings of contact for so long. Then out of the blue I dreamt of Grandma meeting me in a familiar place in the woods near my childhood home, and she handed me a white rose and embraced me. Then she handed me one for my sister, which was meaningful because she always asked me to please love and be close to my sister, which as a kid, I'd always scoffed at to her heartbreak.

That morning, my sister called me, which was not her habit from college, especially during her senior exams, to tell me she'd had a dream of Grandma coming out of the ocean, where she was an expert swimmer and had taught us to body surf in high tides. Sister's friends were enjoying a swim, but sister couldn't because she was burdened with holding a baby. Grandma took the baby from her so she could go play with her friends.

So we both had our interactions with Grandma that same night, after years of NC, and we both understood the messages, and we were both grateful and moved and bonded even closer together from this. While I have countless similar stories about contact with people, past and present, over my lifetime, I'd like to turn this back to your experience.

I think you can appreciate why it might be a good thing to include your Aunt in your thoughts before sleeping. I don't imply that this 'must' be a connection with her disembodied energy rather than something psychologically healing within you, I just believe that given she's been someone who you've trusted intimately, you may want to open the channels to explore any privately important messages or lessons you might gain from the experience.

Sending you (((good vibes))),
Cat

Thank you Cat, sending you good vibes too...

(and your story with your Grandma and your sister is just so amazingly cool, I think that is lovely).

My last name in my screen name is "Cat," we're totally twinning it! lol😀

• Like 1

@yogacatjust wanted to chime in to say I relate!

I can't even count the number of times I've had a dream and then the following day, experienced something similar to what you (and others) have described and experienced!

I used to be spooked by it and research why and want answers but now I simply find it all very fascinating!  

I think the responses you have received have all been awesome, insightful and quite powerful!

It is a bit of a sensitive topic for me though because since exploring in more depth my spiritual side, my late mom has appeared in my dreams, has spoken to me, she apologized to me and told me I was a beautiful person just as she did immediately before she laid down to pass. 

The priest who was there actually said that when she spoke those words, she was already passing over.  Which gave me chills but so inspiring!

Anyway, these dreams have resulted in me forgiving my mom and finding a love for her I never thought I had for years and years!

Dreams can be powerful sources of inspiration imo, we should embrace them and learn from them!! 💛

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Anyway, these dreams have resulted in me forgiving my mom and finding a love for her I never thought I had for years and years!

What a wonderful outcome, RR, and thank you for posting this.

I've often said of some of the most difficult people I've ever met, over whom I've kept wracking myself to muster the patience to manage my own temper, "Well, they may not understand now, but they'll understand later." And I really believe that at some point, maybe even upon death, even the strongest of most stubborn egos will give way and open up to some profound and universal truths.

When we are dealing personality-to-personality, that can often mean friction. But when we deal with from the place which enlivens us, we are dealing with our highest intelligence. That intelligence can see beyond the personality straight through to the same intelligence that enlivens everyone.

I'm so glad you were able to find that in your Mom and you were recognized by her as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rainbowsandroses said:

@yogacatjust wanted to chime in to say I relate!

I can't even count the number of times I've had a dream and then the following day, experienced something similar to what you (and others) have described and experienced!

I used to be spooked by it and research why and want answers but now I simply find it all very fascinating!  

I think the responses you have received have all been awesome,  insightful and quite powerful!

It is a bit of a sensitive topic for me though because since exploring in more depth my spiritual side, my late mom has appeared in my dreams, has spoken to me, she apologized to me and told me I was a beautiful person just as she did immediately before she laid down to pass. 

The priest who was there actually said that when she spoke those words, she was already passing over.  Which gave me chills but so inspiring!

Dreams can be powerful sources of inspiration imo, we should embrace them and learn from them!! 💛

Thanks RAR.

My father and I had a similar relationship to you and your Mom from birth through childhood, albeit, for different reasons and different things of course (not good though) and it took me 20+ years to make peace. Now look, I'm caregiving for him! 😆 🤪

Of course, I was fortunate that it was while he was alive, that he completely changed and made amends in the best possible way.

Dreams are powerful sources of inspiration! 

I haven't told my Aunt's son about the dream yet but I bet he'll get a kick out of it. I'm glad that you've been able to explore in more depths the spiritual side and reached peace with your mother. My Aunt and I had a very close relationship, she was essentially a second mother to me. Especially during a time when I needed it.

• Like 2