Swimming on a first date?

23 hours ago, Superstickyone said:

A guy I have been chatting with is suggesting we meet at the local recreation centre pool.  We have been talking for about one week.  I met him at a community  jazz festival. He asked for my number & then we began texting.

Are we even sure this was met as a "date?" I'm seeing they met and have been talking. But there's no mention of flirting or signs he is interested in more. 

I talked to one woman and met up with her just because we had fun chatting. There was no romantic intentions on my part (at least not at that point). 

Maybe some more information would be helpful to figure out what his intentions or level of interest actually is. Is he flirting? Is he showing signs of interest beyond just having fun together?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Are we even sure this was met as a "date?" I'm seeing they met and have been talking. But there's no mention of flirting or signs he is interested in more. 

^^This is an excellent point!!!  Especially in light of what my brother said.🥰

8 hours ago, ShySoul said:

How about a compromise? 

Go to the center and pack a bathing suit in the car. Do something else there that actually gives you time to talk and get comfortable with each other. If you feel okay, hit the pool after. If you still aren't comfortable, then don't change or go near the water.

He may just really enjoy swimming and want to share with you what he's into. He may also not be thinking in terms of a formal, try to impress the lady kind of date. His mind might be going to a casual, spend time together having fun and see what happens kind of date. 

Really Superstickyone, you should do whatever makes you feel best. Do what is inside your comfort zone and ensures you won't be nervous or upset. You'll be at ease and better able to shine. If he's worth your time, he'll respect that.

Sounds good for a guy -for women it's not just about throwing a suit in the car with rare exception.  I'm a fan of meeting and if swimming is what he enjoys that can be on the list for future dates.

16 hours ago, poorlittlefish said:

Maybe he's mostly interested in getting sex, suggested going swimming so he could check out OP's body and got miffed because his plan failed. That's me being cynical. 

I don't think that you're being cynical at all.

It would perfectly explain why he came up with such a bizarre, uncomfortable idea for a FIRST DATE, as well as his petulant, juvenile response.

It would also explain why he seemingly couldn't think of ANYTHING ELSE TO DO.

That is NOT normal.

Regardless of his motives, this guy sounds like a weirdo.

And the fact that he's already impatiently snapping at you, @Superstickyone?

NAH.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coily said:

Sometimes on here... I swear....

Has swimming been brought up before OP? Maybe as in, you both were talking about how much you all enjoy swimming?

For that matter, as I said, was the word date ever mentioned?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

For that matter, as I said, was the word date ever mentioned?  

Unfortunately I don't think this mystery will ever be solved.  The OP never returned to this thread after her original post, it appears this is a one and done.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Unfortunately I don't think this mystery will ever be solved.  The OP never returned to this thread after her original post, it appears this is a one and done.

Like so many are. Funny how people get so riled up over something then never get the thrilling conclusion. 

And I do much prefer a walk on a beach to a swimming pool. Though for all we know he could be a future Olympic swimmer that needs to get some more practice in. 😉

9 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Like so many are. Funny how people get so riled up over something then never get the thrilling conclusion. 

And I do much prefer a walk on a beach to a swimming pool. Though for all we know he could be a future Olympic swimmer that needs to get some more practice in. 😉

Maybe it means she took the plunge, dove right in, etc 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Maybe it means she took the plunge, dove right in, etc 😉

I posted earlier (before I removed it) that maybe he wants to show off his breaststroke but I thought my comment might be too risque'😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

I posted earlier (before I removed it) that maybe he wants to show off his breaststroke but I thought my comment might be too risque'😂

That would be better then wanting to show her doggy... eh, paddle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2