Can a man be interested but genuinely busy but not check the app for my message?

19 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

With respect, what?  Why in the world would you care if you did anything "wrong"?

You didn’t click that's all, its not about you doing anything wrong.

If anything maintaining that mindset is wrong!  It reflects low self esteem and a "pick me" attude which comes off desperate and not attractive, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh. 

Learn to read the signals men send that reflect disinterest/indifference and respond accordingly.

If me, immediately after he said this (below), his number would have been deleted. 

NOT because he wanted me to plan necessarily but rather his tone imo, was cold and shows clear indifference.

Combined with him not following up to confirm the date.

And of course it all started with him waiting 5 days to respond to your text with available dates.

Nope. Next. Bye.

@LovelyRosesI hope you will take the necessary steps to build up your self-esteem and not worry so much if (1) a man likes you and (2) you did anything wrong.

Focus instead on his words and actions and whether YOU like him and if he is a good fit for you.

He's not, clearly. 

That said I'm sorry it didn't work out. 😞

It’s more I wish when he said he was so busy on the app, I wish I said ‘hey sounds like dating not a priority to you right now, maybe touch base at a better time.’ Like I wanted to send that and my friends told me not to and that he might be better over text. So I gave him benefit of the doubt and wanted to meet him instead

maybe if I sent the above message, it would have been more attractive and we could have clicked if he was at a better time and less distracted by work 

1 hour ago, LovelyRoses said:

I hope I did ok on the date. I wish I suggested to postpone it to another time, when he less busy, then he might have actually been engaged. 

Please raise your self-steem and standards. He was rude, even answering email and a phone call. Didnt even take an interest in you in person. And after all that you hope you did OK and that he was less busy because then he might be engaged into conversation? Unacceptable. 

You need to realize that he was the one who disrespected you and not even took an interest in you. And to nip those kind of men in future. Any sign of them not even asking for confirmation or being rude, means that either date is not happening or you will just leave. We teach people how they treat us. And you allowed him to be rude to you. And even "hope you did OK" while excusing him for his rudeness. Again, that is unacceptable. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, LovelyRoses said:

maybe if I sent the above message, it would have been more attractive...

Again LR, you gotta get rid of that mindset.  Whether or not HE will find you attractive and strategizing various ways to accomplish that. Again it comes off as desperate and that is a turn off in and of itself.

I can tell you from experience that NOT having that mindset to make you more attractive, generally speaking. 

After that it's about the chemistry/energy between you. 

Here, it just wasn't happening.  It wasn't from the beginning, not sure why you bothered after it took him 5+ days to respond to your message with available dates.  And not following up. 

Your initial instinct about that was spot on, next time listen to it and delete.

2 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

Please raise your self-steem and standards. He was rude, even answering email and a phone call. Didnt even take an interest in you in person. And after all that you hope you did OK and that he was less busy because then he might be engaged into conversation? Unacceptable. 

You need to realize that he was the one who disrespected you and not even took an interest in you. And to nip those kind of men in future. Any sign of them not even asking for confirmation or being rude, means that either date is not happening or you will just leave. We teach people how they treat us. And you allowed him to be rude to you. And even "hope you did OK" while excusing him for his rudeness. Again, that is unacceptable. 

He did apologise for the emails and said it was the nature of being self employed and went on to say how his team expects him to do all the admin and he finds he doesn’t get a break. He asked a couple things about me but I really felt he didn’t have much interest in me as a person at all. I know that’s on him rather than me, but still doesn’t feel good 

55 minutes ago, LovelyRoses said:

It’s more I wish when he said he was so busy on the app, I wish I said ‘hey sounds like dating not a priority to you right now, maybe touch base at a better time.’ Like I wanted to send that and my friends told me not to and that he might be better over text. So I gave him benefit of the doubt and wanted to meet him instead

maybe if I sent the above message, it would have been more attractive and we could have clicked if he was at a better time and less distracted by work 

Nope. A person who meets a person and behaves that way is not a person who is suddenly going to click just because he doesn’t happen to get an email. Or she. I’ve been in his situation. Both because I’m a mom and before that I was always ridiculously busy.  What I did especially for a new person - told the person in advance. Look I’m sorry if I have to take a call or respond to an email - briefly explain the urgency and make sure the person knows you will do your utmost to shift back to the planned meeting. I agree with your friends. I wouldn’t have said a thing. I also wouldn’t have continued interacting once the person wasn’t enthusiastic about a first meet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Nope. A person who meets a person and behaves that way is not a person who is suddenly going to click just because he doesn’t happen to get an email. Or she. I’ve been in his situation. Both because I’m a mom and before that I was always ridiculously busy.  What I did especially for a new person - told the person in advance. Look I’m sorry if I have to take a call or respond to an email - briefly explain the urgency and make sure the person knows you will do your utmost to shift back to the planned meeting. I agree with your friends. I wouldn’t have said a thing. I also wouldn’t have continued interacting once the person wasn’t enthusiastic about a first meet. 

Well he asked to meet in the first couple of messages .. ‘if you’re not keen on texting, I’m free to meet next week :)’

and my friends were encouraging me to relax and said ‘you’ve not met him yet, he could be amazing in person. Don’t overthink that he hasn’t asked you anything he’s probably just really busy. Maybe he’s as fed up as dating as you.’

so I decided to meet him. I went to the date feeling confident but slightly perplexed he confirmed it at the last minute. He absolutely was apologetic for the call. I just went on my phone reading the allergy information for a restaurant whilst he was on the phone.

I’m also finding it so hard to find intelligent men. I am only attracted to very intellectual people who stimulate me intellectually. I think it’s called a sapiosexual. All three men I’ve dated in the past have been very intelligent and this guy I could tell both from his profile and on his videos that he too is intellectual

i was dating a man who ended things in January and no one has made me feel things like he did. Our nerdy conversations, like we just got each other. He told me he was attracted to intelligence and that’s why he felt a connection with me.And then he randomly said he didn’t feel romantic 

trying to put myself out there on dates and just can’t find that click, I was certainly expecting to find that click with the guy last week. His profile said he was looking for intelligence so he was someone like me. I go on many many dates recently, and I think a lot of men realise they not on the same intelligence wavelength. 

4 hours ago, LovelyRoses said:

He was coming to my town to meet me and essentially said ‘I’ll let you plan it, catch up with you soon.’

HUH?!

Girl why are your standards so low?

Ofc your gut was right. If he won't bother to plan the date, he doesn't like you or care enough about you.

3 hours ago, LovelyRoses said:

keep regretting that when he said on the dating app it’s a funny time of year to be dating as it’s his busy time, I should have said ‘hey sounds like you’re a bit busy to date atm, maybe we can touch base when it’s your less busy time.’ Maybe that would have been more attractive and I woood have had more success 😕

Nope.

Him being busy or rude is not your fault. Would you stop playing a victim and realise he'd an adult who just behaves badly? HE chooses to be on the apps to date. So dating and being busy are not the problem. You have done well. He's just not the guy. He's not into you. That's all.

We're all different people and we're not everybody's cup of tea. That's okay.

Honey, definitely pick up some self-esteem book and consider socializing more often. You are worth way more.

• Like 2

I’m also finding it so hard to find intelligent men. I am only attracted to very intellectual people who stimulate me intellectually. I think it’s called a sapiosexual. All three men I’ve dated in the past have been very intelligent and this guy I could tell both from his profile and on his videos that he too is intellectual

i was dating a man who ended things in January and no one has made me feel things like he did. Our nerdy conversations, like we just got each other. He told me he was attracted to intelligence and that’s why he felt a connection with me.And then he randomly said he didn’t feel romantic 

trying to put myself out there on dates and just can’t find that click, I was certainly expecting to find that click with the guy last week. His profile said he was looking for intelligence so he was someone like me. I go on many many dates recently, and I think a lot of men realise they not on the same intelligence wavelength. 

Yet maybe full on intelligence isn't what you need most of? Highly of at least?

Maybe you need someone emotionally intelligent, empathetic, or kind and caring? And intelligence varies from person. A friend can be intelligent, but it doesn't mean he is capable of being good loving partner.

13 minutes ago, DarkCh0c0 said:

Yet maybe full on intelligence isn't what you need most of? Highly of at least?

Maybe you need someone emotionally intelligent, empathetic, or kind and caring? And intelligence varies from person. A friend can be intelligent, but it doesn't mean he is capable of being good loving partner.

Well this man’s demeanour over social media, his live videos and YouTube channel, he comes across as such a kind and caring and gentle man. That’s what attracted to me to him. He seemed really sweet.

He was sweet in person, but he was lacking that warmth I saw on his YouTube videos. 

I need the intelligence, I can’t help what I am attracted to 😞 

19 minutes ago, LovelyRoses said:

Well this man’s demeanour over social media, his live videos and YouTube channel, he comes across as such a kind and caring and gentle man. That’s what attracted to me to him. He seemed really sweet.

He was sweet in person, but he was lacking that warmth I saw on his YouTube videos. 

I need the intelligence, I can’t help what I am attracted to 😞 

Yeah, but social media can be deceiving. Online, he's selling a product (vlog or whatever) to earn money, so he turns on a specific act for it.

I'm not saying don't pick an intelligent man. I'm saying maybe it's not just the highest priority, and other criterion should matter too, if not more.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LovelyRoses said:

I need the intelligence, I can’t help what I am attracted to

That's why meeting in person is so important. It's all fantasy before that. But I think because who you're drawn to, a nerdy intellect as you've said, (encompassing a small pool) that you tend to overlook all the red flags the rest of us objective people can see. You have a harder time finding a man to meet those specifications, so you let what little sweetness he possesses overrule what should be a deal-breaking rudeness.

You might have better luck meeting your type at local poetry slams, open mic nights for storytelling, book discussion groups, auditing college courses, bookstore author signings, etc. Good luck.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Andrina said:

That's why meeting in person is so important. It's all fantasy before that. But I think because who you're drawn to, a nerdy intellect as you've said, (encompassing a small pool) that you tend to overlook all the red flags the rest of us objective people can see. You have a harder time finding a man to meet those specifications, so you let what little sweetness he possesses overrule what should be a deal-breaking rudeness.

You might have better luck meeting your type at local poetry slams, open mic nights for storytelling, book discussion groups, auditing college courses, bookstore author signings, etc. Good luck.

He didn’t ask me anything on the app, just asked to meet so I was keen to meet him in person. I’m just worried something wrong with me that I really rarely feel attraction and it makes things so hard. Like attraction is so rare, go on so many dates where the men try to touch me or kiss me and I just don’t feel it. And then when I finally meet a guy I like, they don’t want me back or they act up like this

i do have very high standards. I just gave this man a chance as we were still strangers 

You didn't do anything wrong. I think you are reading him perfectly. His priority is not dating. It's not finding a relationship. It's on him and his business.

He didn't contact you originally because he was travelling on gigs.

He told he he was busy being self employed and this is isn't a good time to see someone.

He made a work call on the date. 

He was checking email on the date.

He is already in a relationship right now - with his work. Nothing you could have done was going to change that. And it doesn't make him a bad guy either. It's simply two people with different priorities in their life right now. 

It also explains why he came across different on Youtube. His videos are part of the job. He has to sell himself to get views and thus make money. It's a cash stream for some people.

33 minutes ago, LovelyRoses said:

He didn’t ask me anything on the app, just asked to meet so I was keen to meet him in person. I’m just worried something wrong with me that I really rarely feel attraction and it makes things so hard. Like attraction is so rare, go on so many dates where the men try to touch me or kiss me and I just don’t feel it. And then when I finally meet a guy I like, they don’t want me back or they act up like this

i do have very high standards. I just gave this man a chance as we were still strangers 

I rarely feel attraction either. I can almost count the number of people I've been attracted to in my life on one hand and I'm 41. I also like intelligence and being geeky. There's nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with me and nothing wrong with you.

It's a good thing you don't feel attraction so easily. You are placing value upon it. When you finally do find someone who matches you well, and who returns your feelings, it will be better for the wait. You'll be better able to appreciate just how rare and special of a thing it is. 

It's not a numbers game. It's not about how many people you find attractive, its about that moment when you meet the one person who really does captivate you and is attractive on all levels. That's not something that happens often. The truth is most people won't be a match. You won't be into many people. And thats fine. When the right one comes along, none of those other times, none of the wait will matter. You'll just be happy being with the one who does matter.

I'd say to not get frustrated. He wasn't able to see what he is missing out on with you. He's not worth the time or worry. Instead focus on you. Pursue your own intellectual interests. You will be more likely to meet someone on your level at those places. And even if you don't, you'll just be having fun being nerdy. 

And I'll just say, nerdy and intelligent people are really cool people.

4 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

I rarely feel attraction either. I can almost count the number of people I've been attracted to in my life on one hand and I'm 41. I also like intelligence and being geeky. There's nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with me and nothing wrong with you.

It's a good thing you don't feel attraction so easily. You are placing value upon it. When you finally do find someone who matches you well, and who returns your feelings, it will be better for the wait. You'll be better able to appreciate just how rare and special of a thing it is. 

It's not a numbers game. It's not about how many people you find attractive, its about that moment when you meet the one person who really does captivate you and is attractive on all levels. That's not something that happens often. The truth is most people won't be a match. You won't be into many people. And thats fine. When the right one comes along, none of those other times, none of the wait will matter. You'll just be happy being with the one who does matter.

I'd say to not get frustrated. He wasn't able to see what he is missing out on with you. He's not worth the time or worry. Instead focus on you. Pursue your own intellectual interests. You will be more likely to meet someone on your level at those places. And even if you don't, you'll just be having fun being nerdy. 

And I'll just say, nerdy and intelligent people are really cool people.

I could tell he had a nice personality on the date. We had some incredibly nerdy chats and the convo did flow but then there was a lot of awkward silence. I didn’t feel totally present on the date either but I always feel like dates are a bit of a dream when I get home because I was so nervous and I kinda forget the date. This was the same with my ex, my nerves made me forget the date when I got home lol

anway, I’m just bit annoyed with myself as when he said ‘bit of a busy time for me to be dating.’ But then he offered his availability at the end of the following week, I wish I said ‘sounds like a busy time for you, let’s pick this up when you’re less busy.’ And then things could have been completely different that next time. Like right person wrong rime 😕

7 hours ago, LovelyRoses said:

I have an update on how the date went. A little bit disappointed actually 

well we decided to meet about a week ago. The week beofre that I was on holiday and I sensed that he wasn’t that interested. He didn’t ask me a single question about myself, but I thought maybe that’s just how he is over text. He was coming to my town to meet me and essentially said ‘I’ll let you plan it, catch up with you soon.’ He did admit it was a bit of a funny time to go on a date as it’s his busy time of year. The day wasn’t confirmed but we knew it was going to be Thursday or Friday. 

but then Thursday came around and he didn’t text me. Thursday night I texted him to see if we were still meeting 

he said absolutely but he was so short in messages. My housemate told me not to read into things and he’s probably just busy but my gut feeling didn’t feel so good.

we met in my town in the Friday afternoon. When he arrived, he didn’t seem very excited to meet me. His manner was nothing like his personality which came across in his YouTube channel or live streams (he’s a creative). He usually comes across as so nice and charasmatic and friendly and warm 

I rode with it, I was engaging and asked questions although I felt a little bit nervous. We did have some good chat. But I was fully aware he wasn’t showing any curiosity in me as a person, not asking about me much at all. He explained how busy he is at the moment being self employed. And at one point in the date he had to make a phone call relating to work. And then when we arrived at a restaurant, the first 5 mins he was head down replying to an email whilst I sat there feeling a bit awkward.

Anyway, he dropped me home and I never heard from him again.

I hope I did ok on the date. I wish I suggested to postpone it to another time, when he less busy, then he might have actually been engaged. 

I hope I didn’t do anything wrong . Wish I at least got a text, thought he would be better than that especially as he is 7 years older

perhaps he just not prioritising dating right now

Ok gosh. He sounds like a tool. And rude to boot!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Ok gosh. He sounds like a tool. And rude to boot!

Like he wasn’t totally bad. He was funny and charming but lacked warmth with me and didn’t ask me anything. But yeah I feel kinda bad after the date 

3 minutes ago, LovelyRoses said:

Like he wasn’t totally bad. He was funny and charming but lacked warmth with me and didn’t ask me anything. But yeah I feel kinda bad after the date 

I don't know. I don't like his effervescence. 😅

He seems quite self involved. Taking calls and responding to emails on your 1st date.

Not replying for those days after he specifically suggested to meet, you reply, and he doesn't reply for five days was a red flag for me. But par for the course with online dating sometimes. People are flaky or distracted.

Put it this way, if there was a good enough connection between the two of you he would have kept the momentum going and followed through with the planned meeting. Sounds like he was more interested in just killing time and seeing if he'd have a spark of interest but in actuality he wasn't really feeling the connection. And if he's self employed and super busy maybe he just isn't comfortable dating or comfortable being open to a relationship right now.

Just shake it off and move on. At least you had a semi-nice date out of it!

• Like 1

I'm married to a brilliant man and all my serious relationships were with brilliant men.  I am not as intelligent and typically I was attracted to intelligent/intellectual men who kept me on my toes and inspired me intellectually.  He does for sure.  He is also emotionally intelligent but I likely am more so -well -as far as social skills -he has very good social skills and is reserved/introverted and has the biggest heart.  I am much more extroverted and he thinks I have better social skills and he is probably right.  But he is a giver - to me, to his family, to his close friends.  To charity. 

Not as much to acquaintances -he definitely would help a stranger and has but he's not chatty with strangers or acquaintances whereas I am so I usually learn more about acquaintances and whether they have challenges or struggles, if that makes sense.  Also as a woman -and a petite woman! - I think people are more comfortable opening up to me than to a man.

I had no trouble meeting really smart men but that's because I worked with really smart men, went to school with really smart men, had many very smart female and male friends so you know - birds of a feather.  I also did all of my dating in a major city and went to grad school.  Yes men without a formal education can be intelligent and brilliant and worldly.  Typically those who are intellectual -like you say you want - likely have a formal education -all else equal.

I'd seek out places the smarties hang out -I know a few of my friends were involved in Mensa (I was not, never tried), find meetups involving chess players if you play, people who like to go to cultural events like opera or new museum exhibits, etc.  Never settle for rude though or lack of being compassionate and thuoghtful and kind -in real life not just on a screen.  It's so easy to come across as "nice" on a screen.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I don't know. I don't like his effervescence. 😅

He seems quite self involved. Taking calls and responding to emails on your 1st date.

Not replying for those days after he specifically suggested to meet, you reply, and he doesn't reply for five days was a red flag for me. But par for the course with online dating sometimes. People are flaky or distracted.

Put it this way, if there was a good enough connection between the two of you he would have kept the momentum going and followed through with the planned meeting. Sounds like he was more interested in just killing time and seeing if he'd have a spark of interest but in actuality he wasn't really feeling the connection. And if he's self employed and super busy maybe he just isn't comfortable dating or comfortable being open to a relationship right now.

Just shake it off and move on. At least you had a semi-nice date out of it!

He did tell me as an only child and the nature of his work, means he is a little self obsessed 

yeah I just keep wondering what it is about me that men just don’t want to connect. I worry I can’t form connection 

2 minutes ago, LovelyRoses said:

He did tell me as an only child and the nature of his work, means he is a little self obsessed 

yeah I just keep wondering what it is about me that men just don’t want to connect. I worry I can’t form connection 

Um nope.  I'm married to an only child and have one.  A boy.  People aren't self-obsessed based on only child etc - ridiculous also as an adult to blame his only child thing on his self-obsession.  My husband and son are the opposite of self-obsessed.  At least he's honest that his rudeness comes from a place of self-obsession.  Work doesn't make a person self-obsessed either.  You're smart right? It makes no sense to you, I hope?

anway, I’m just bit annoyed with myself as when he said ‘bit of a busy time for me to be dating.’ But then he offered his availability at the end of the following week, I wish I said ‘sounds like a busy time for you, let’s pick this up when you’re less busy.’ And then things could have been completely different that next time. Like right person wrong rime

Nothing to be annoyed about. Trust me, kicking yourself for what you could have said will just drive you mad and won't change a thing. Keep busy yourself and eventually you'll meet right person at the right time. 

Just now, LovelyRoses said:

In this case, I'd say it was more him, not you. But in general, it's not anyone's fault. It's not anything about the person. It's just that most people don't have that connection or spark. When it's rare, it means more and that is what makes it so unique and memorable. 

I've often wondered why I can't form that connection. But whenever I've worried about it, I just find myself more depressed and it makes it harder to connect. There's freedom in stopping the worrying, in not hoping for something or wondering what you are doing wrong. Be happy with you. When I've not looked or cared, that's when I was able to find the connection with someone. So don't worry yourself over it. It comes when it comes. And when it comes it will be amazing. Just try to be happy with yourself in the meantime.

11 minutes ago, LovelyRoses said:

Being an only child has nothing to do with being present and engaged on a date. He may be self absorbed but I don't think that's an excuse for being rude and not showing basic social skills while on a date. Don't let this experience make you doubt your ability to connect with others. I would caution you however that when someone acts this way, you punt him.

A guy leaves you hanging for five days, I would think of him as someone not to take seriously. Saves time. Disappointing, I know. But don’t let it eat at your self esteem. 💞

I know it's disappointing because you thought there was potential and excited about meeting him. But first dates off of dating websites are usually one of two things. A total yea or a total nay. But it's ok, you weren't designed to connect with everybody.

It's not always easy to connect with other people. It sounds like you did the best you could on the date and were engaging and asked questions despite feeling nervous. Use it as practice for the next date. You put yourself out there and met someone new, that's something to be proud of. And now you know what to look out for and what kind of behavior you're not interested in. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yogacat said:

Being an only child has nothing to do with being present and engaged on a date. He may be self absorbed but I don't think that's an excuse for being rude and not showing basic social skills while on a date. Don't let this experience make you doubt your ability to connect with others. I would caution you however that when someone acts this way, you punt him.

A guy leaves you hanging for five days, I would think of him as someone not to take seriously. Saves time. Disappointing, I know. But don’t let it eat at your self esteem. 💞

I know it's disappointing because you thought there was potential and excited about meeting him. But first dates off of dating websites are usually one of two things. A total yea or a total nay. But it's ok, you weren't designed to connect with everybody.

It's not always easy to connect with other people. It sounds like you did the best you could on the date and were engaging and asked questions despite feeling nervous. Use it as practice for the next date. You put yourself out there and met someone new, that's something to be proud of. And now you know what to look out for and what kind of behavior you're not interested in. 

It’s just I’m 28 now and I have honestly lost hope at finding a partner. I even try and put myself out there. Just got home from a lunch with all my friends and they are all married and brought their kids, whilst I can’t find a connection with anyone.

in January, a guy I was dating ended things when things were going so smooth. Chemsitry, connection, we talked about compatibility, I could laugh and be myself with him and was 100% present on dates with him. Amazing conversations, just a click, undeniable. Like people on here will probably say ‘oh it was one sided.’ It wasn’t one sided at all, he even told me he felt it too. I’ve never enjoyed kissing someone like that, or sex like that. But then after dates he would seem distant, take days to reply, and suddenly said he didn’t feel romantic. It will never make sense as that was a normal great early dating stage. It makes me think that having a partner is impossible because they will always think there’s better out there

now im in august. The date last week felt like my last hope. I’ve ran out of men on the dating app in my town. I put myself out there but everyone’s got a partner when I meet people in real life. I never meet single people

i don’t know what to do. 

going on the date last week was suppose to be an exciting first meet. I mean it wasn’t a bad one. I’m not expecting fireworks from a first date, just a nice chat to see what the person is like. And we did have interesting chats on the date

The more this happens, feel like I’ve lost attraction to men entirely and I don’t know if I’ll ever like anyone again. The last guy I dated, felt it should have worked out. Sometimes he checks in with me.

honestly don’t know what to do. Basically every man I ever meet keeps me hanging for days 

worry I can’t create a spark or connection