Unauthorized photo

An unusual posting here but it's got me concerned.

I was in a very  busy bakery today, standing in a long line up and waiting to be served.

After I paid for my donuts, I turned around to leave.  A man was standing there with his phone camera pointed in my direction.  He clicked on it and promptly left the premises.  Did not recognize him as anyone I knew.

I'm concerned this person has my image and what is going to be done with it.  There were other people in that line besides me of course.

Does this sound suspicious 🤔 to anyone or should I not worry?

Maybe he was taking a photo of the bakery area fir marketing purposes?

I don't think photos should be taken of someone without their permission.

Thoughts?

Where I live you can take a photo of anyone in public that you choose to. I would check the laws where you are . 
Did he commit a d$nk move ? Yeah, but there might be no laws against it . 

• Like 3

I don't believe photos should be taken without a persons permission. Unfortunately we live in an age where everyone is tied to a phone and takes pictures at will. There are also cameras on streetlights and satellites and drones taking pictures everywhere. Its a bit scary to think about.

Are you in the US? Technically the right to photograph and video record in a public space is protected by the first amendment. There is also a movement of people who go around and ''audit'' places to see if they will be allowed to film there. They say they promote transparency while others say they border on harassment. Local libraries have had issues recently in my area. This also seems to be occurring in other countries.

Most likely the person was taking a harmless photo of the bakery and you were in the camera shot. Odds are there won't be a problem. And a photo wouldn't contain into personal information that could really cause trouble.

4 minutes ago, Superstickyone said:

Seraphim.  Wow that's incredulous!  Wonder why the drone was doing that?  Is it a common occurrences where you live?  Drones don't do that here in Canada.

I am in Canada. Ontario. 

Could he have taken a selfie?

If you are in a public space, unfortunately, you have very little expectation of privacy.  I too would be annoyed, but then my face has been put out there for years with some marketing things.

I wouldn't dwell on it too much.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Superstickyone said:

Maybe he was taking a photo of the bakery area fir marketing purposes?

I wouldn't automatically peg him as a Rodney Alcala (serial killer that took 1000's of photos of women with his camera).  Sounds like his pics weren't even being of you directly.  

Did he snap a pic of anything else like bakery goodies?  

BTW, one time I took a photo of a man that looked IDENTICAL to my best friend's boyfriend. I thought it was comical at the time to snap and send to my friend but I certainly wasn't going to use it for risque' material.

• Like 1

Let's think positive. Maybe he is a food critic and needed pictures for his review so he could put it up on Instagram. Maybe the post will go viral and cause people to flock to the store all because of a random picture you happened to be part of. You could become social media famous and have fans who see you in the bakery and want to know what it was like to know the place before it became famous.

Ok, probably not. But it's a lot more cheerful thought then assuming he will do something icky with it. Odds are it's nothing and not worth the time worrying about it.

I wouldn't like it either but I assume he was trying to photograph the bakery.

Some years ago my friend took a photo of her son and my son at the park - and texted it to me. Then she posted it on FB and tagged me.  I asked her please to remove the photo with my son since we don't post photos of my son.  She hadn't asked my permission.  She tried to tell me I was paranoid, blah blah and I was offended (didn't tell her that).  She did take it down -but that is an example where I find it inappropriate.  

I am in many many tourist photos in NYC because I had to rush to work in Manhattan and absolutely couldn't stop for every photo/group photo on random sidewalks.  Especially at Christmas time.....

Google image searches can be done with photos to find out about people.  I have never done it.  I hear people on dating sites do reverse Google image searches to find out more about a person.

I have removed my photo from FB and replaced it with a scenery photo.  All you have to do these days is take a screenshot of anything on your device.  

I'm leaning toward the guy taking pics of the bakery ,& I just happened to be there.

3 minutes ago, Superstickyone said:

Google image searches can be done with photos to find out about people.  I have never done it.  I hear people on dating sites do reverse Google image searches to find out more about a person.

I have removed my photo from FB and replaced it with a scenery photo.  All you have to do these days is take a screenshot of anything on your device.  

I'm leaning toward the guy taking pics of the bakery ,& I just happened to be there.

I have my wedding photo as my profile photo.  I'm fine with it.  My photo is in various places I guess - maybe old photos from companies I worked at/events I attended and there is one of me on my employer's website and on Linkedin.  I'm not concerned.  And I prefer to limit my son's photos on Facebook -we allow schools and camps to post his photo.

• Like 1

It happened to me while I was at the library.  Suddenly when I turned around,  I had a cell phone pointed directly at me as this woman took photos of me.  It was very creepy. 😠  I alerted the librarians as this woman fled to the restroom.  Police were called and they demanded that she delete the photos which she complied.  Police followed her to her car and the police reprimanded her. 

I do recall before the incident that she stared at me intensely while I was perusing book shelves in the library's lobby area. 

There are weird people in society and real odd balls.  😒  I don't know what she wanted to do with photos of me.  Perhaps photo shop,  crop my photo and pretend it was her identity somewhere out there in cyberspace.  Who knows?  At any rate,  it is indeed offensive so I understand how you feel OP @Superstickyone

Perhaps it's harmless if someone else is photographed but I certainly do not wish to be photographed by some random stranger.  No m'am,  no sir.  Go somewhere else and do it but I'm not fine with it at all.  😠

3 hours ago, Superstickyone said:

Yep, scary what people can do these days. And that is why I keep a LinkedIn and nothing else. If someone wants an image, there are going to have to work for it.